Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-14-2007, 01:08 PM

5 posts, read 13,631 times

Advertisements

Been doing alot of research on SA and surrounding areas. Would like to relocate family , 3 children ages 14,12,6 to good schools and friendly neighborhoods. We are Argentinian, but I was born and lived in Texas 'til I was 11, so don't remember much. Florida too expensive and struggling to maintain a good living for our family, hope it is better in SA. Any suggestions or advice for neighborhood locations and job situations. My husband works with steel manufacturing and installations and I work as a warranty adm. in a Auto dealer.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-15-2007, 08:30 PM

27 posts, read 236,422 times
Default FL to TX

I also am moving from FL to TX. I lived in Houston, TX for 3 years before I had to leave when I lose my job at Enron. This time I am moving to San Antone and what I've researched so far is alot of positives. I have two teenagers and there are alot of good high schools there. When I lived in Houston, I noticed and felt that TX has a very strong community spirit. I've lived in a couple of states and never felt such a pride and community spirit as TX has. I think you'll love it there. The only drawback that I've come across is that the salaries are not as high as Houston.

Old 06-16-2007, 07:25 AM

427 posts, read 1,175,037 times
We're moving from FL to TX as well. One thing I know, we won't be complaining about the heat in the summer!

Good luck!

Old 06-16-2007, 02:24 PM

3,823 posts, read 14,676,781 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlamoCpl View Post
We're moving from FL to TX as well. One thing I know, we won't be complaining about the heat in the summer!

Good luck!
You also won't be complaining about hurricanes!

Old 06-16-2007, 02:44 PM

19 posts, read 129,822 times
Well, there is a company named KLN steel products that does alot of steel manufacturing and installantion here in San Antonio. I have a link to a job opening :

Find Jobs

As for as your wife working as a warranty administrations person, there are tons of auto dealerships in the area and warranty repairs are ever on the increase. I would recommend working for either the Red McCombs or Ancira Motor Company. (I am in the auto business myself and could give you some points of contact).

Encino Park is a great place to live with good schools, clean and well maintained neighborhoods and very good home prices. I know because we are live in Encino Park.

Not sure why URL is so messed up. Hope you can cut and past parts of it. Good luck on your move

Last edited by Hardworkingdaddy; 06-16-2007 at 02:54 PM.. Reason: trying to get link to display properly

Old 06-16-2007, 03:06 PM

427 posts, read 1,175,037 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steel Man View Post
You also won't be complaining about hurricanes!
I don't know, huddling in a "safe room" with my family, not knowing if the roof is going to blow off, then spending days on end in the heat without power, it brings a family together! No, I'm not going to miss the hurricanes!

You guys have a bit more heat for a few months in the summer but it's basically the same. The winters out there are a bit cooler than here but I'm sure we'll adjust.

Old 06-18-2007, 12:23 PM

5 posts, read 13,631 times
thanks so much for your information, this move seems so hard for us to do because of the kids and fear also of all the flooding that happens in Texas, haven't found alot of info on flooding in SA except for one article this morning that stated SA is a high risk flood area. Does Encino Park flood often?

Old 06-18-2007, 02:16 PM

19 posts, read 129,822 times
Default Encino Park flooding?

Encino Park has never, and probably will never flood (unless the flood is of Biblical proportions). The community is built over nearly solid limestone and is one of the higher elevations in San Antonio.

Old 06-18-2007, 03:26 PM
Rockin' The TriCities

n/a posts
San Antonio does flood, but it's mostly limited to the obvious places - dry creek beds, low water crossings, area rivers, that sort of thing. We did have two massive 100 year floods only four years apart, but that is out of the ordinary. If you pay attention to the low water crossings and to the weather, you will be fine. Just pay attention to the flood plains when you look for houses.

Old 06-19-2007, 02:09 PM

380 posts, read 1,280,564 times
Wow, tons of Floridians coming. Welcome and I hope you bring a good mentality with you.

See you soon
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
View detailed profiles of: