Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2010, 12:31 AM

4,132 posts, read 7,195,504 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Stealth vehicles? Those things are as easy to spot as the marked cars.
Not really. I was driving down 410 between Culebra & Military and all of a sudden the car two cars in front of me erupted into a blue & red Christmas tree. I about crapped. It was a black Chevy Malibu with less than legal tint and didn't, in any way, stand out as an unmarked car. It did have decals on the side but they were a very, very light gray that you couldn't read until you were almost upon the car. So....watch out. No telling what they're gonna use next.

(Can you imagine being pulled over by a Winnabago ?????)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2010, 01:15 AM

114,838 posts, read 65,832,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deep Forest View Post
Not really. I was driving down 410 between Culebra & Military and all of a sudden the car two cars in front of me erupted into a blue & red Christmas tree. I about crapped. It was a black Chevy Malibu with less than legal tint and didn't, in any way, stand out as an unmarked car. It did have decals on the side but they were a very, very light gray that you couldn't read until you were almost upon the car. So....watch out. No telling what they're gonna use next.

With this Police Chief?? Yes!!! It's Back to the Future!! They'll need to train a special officer to handle that Camaro.....Lord knows they have no one capable of driving standard issue without wrapping it around something.. Let's hope he won't be prodding or coaxing other drivers.

Old 05-30-2010, 02:11 AM

8,238 posts, read 10,726,695 times
Quote:

Usually the dead giveaway is the black wheels or black wheels with silver center caps. The wider tires also as most people that upgrade tires dont "just" go for a wider tire on a stock rim. (really if you are going to change from stock rims are you just going to go with a black 16" or 17" rim?) Also the blacked out tint. On 4 doors the legal limit is 35% on all 4 doors. "Stealth" police cars have 5% all the way around.

You winnebago commentis funny because about 10ish years ago they used a light blue chevy pickup with a lift kit and 33in wheels. It used to run radar on 410 around the interchange.

Old 05-30-2010, 06:56 AM

5,615 posts, read 14,793,059 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SabresFanInSA View Post
Usually the dead giveaway is the black wheels or black wheels with silver center caps. The wider tires also as most people that upgrade tires dont "just" go for a wider tire on a stock rim. (really if you are going to change from stock rims are you just going to go with a black 16" or 17" rim?) Also the blacked out tint. On 4 doors the legal limit is 35% on all 4 doors. "Stealth" police cars have 5% all the way around.
What they said. If they really wanted to go undercover they'll need a few different cars for different parts of town. An early '90s Honda for a few parts of town I'm thinking of, a Kia that's a couple of years old for a second, and a 3 Series for another part of town.

I'll leave it to people to figure out on their own which cars go where, because if I spelled it out it would derail the thread completely.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:05 AM

422 posts, read 756,998 times
Good news, I hate San Antonio drivers the bad ones atleast. Especially punk kids out there trying to race each other on our highways.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:22 AM

615 posts, read 1,523,134 times
I stopped in the HEB parking lot yesterday with the family to let someone get out (I had the right of way) and the guy behind me in a jacked up truck, blew his horn after I turned and gave me the finger.

I think that's what they mean by aggressive driving.

Old 05-30-2010, 08:52 AM

8,399 posts, read 22,989,445 times
Quote:
Agreed, I've seen these vehicles in action and they are not as easily identified as people think; and even harder when surrounded by several other vehicles in heavy traffic. I saw one two years ago I thought was a Dodge Neon, but suddenly it too lit up and boom-shanka!

There's an easy tactic to avoid becoming the victim of these patrols...slow down and drive right! I don't worry about this or roadblocks as I keep my car legal and my speed close to the limit. I also stay to the right, don't tailgate and let the other idiots attract the attention of the cops. It's worked for me for the past two years, and others have learned the same thing.

But I am also happy to see greater enforcement on our roads. Dangerous driving has gotten too out of hand around here, and we need more initiatives like this to make our streets safer!

Cheers! M2

Old 05-30-2010, 09:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tejano2828 View Post
Good news, I hate San Antonio drivers the bad ones atleast. Especially punk kids out there trying to race each other on our highways.
Or they can just end up like the ones racing on 410 the other night. Crashed and one of the two dead.

Old 05-30-2010, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majormadmax View Post
There's an easy tactic to avoid becoming the victim of these patrols...slow down and drive right! I don't worry about this or roadblocks as I keep my car legal and my speed close to the limit. I also stay to the right, don't tailgate and let the other idiots attract the attention of the cops. It's worked for me for the past two years, and others have learned the same thing.

But I am also happy to see greater enforcement on our roads. Dangerous driving has gotten too out of hand around here, and we need more initiatives like this to make our streets safer!

Cheers! M2
I totally agree. I find it a lot easier to just hang back and let the idiots deal with themselves and I am glad the powers that be are beefing up efforts to derail the idiots.

Slightly off topic, I would love to get my hands on the police package suspension on those "stealth" Chargers. Most of that stuff would bolt right up to my 300C

Old 05-30-2010, 09:11 AM

7,130 posts, read 11,836,061 times
You ain't lived until you get behind a pinhead in the left lane doin' 45-50 mph, and traffic flow in the next lane is such that you can't go around safely without causin' THEM issues. You flash lights briefly to "wake up" the driver (stuff happens, sometimes folks simply "zone out" - that doesn't upset me). They look in the mirror.....an' nothin'. Still goin'. You finally manage to get around 'em, and they look at you and laugh. Yeah - have literally had that happen. THAT is what sets some folks off. Me, I was pullin' a 35' gooseneck. They apparently had an exit comin' up that they wanted....missed it.<evil grin>
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > Texas > San Antonio