Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-24-2010, 08:26 AM

15 posts, read 59,008 times

Advertisements

On Sunday June 20th someone contacted me to say they were buying the home me and my family are living in. They said escrow will close Friday June 25th... They went on to ask if i wanted to stay or go, i told them i would love to stay, they were like OK, we will draw up a new lease and take it from there.... well, 1st off they wanted me to sign the lease that day, i wasnt comfortable with that... when i got a copy of the lease, its outrageous.... its more $$$ than i was paying in addition to alot of other items i must pay, trash, gardening, outside sprinkler systems, renters insurance, etc...... Im pretty upset they just came in here and tried to strong arm me into signing an agreement that was out of line... The man bought 8 house in the area, dont you think he could have gave a family of 8 a break... what can i do?.... they want me to come up with $4200 by July 1st. Thats NOT gonna happen... thanks for your help in advance..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-24-2010, 08:28 AM

44,252 posts, read 64,573,660 times
What can you do? Move out. Sorry this is happening to you. It sucks.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:38 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,167,635 times
One would think there is something wrong with that picture: however, I believe the guy knows what he wants and he made that clear to you. It can't hurt to contact him ask him to reconsider,but if he says no, move on; fighting or bad feelings are just not worth it.

Old 06-24-2010, 08:42 AM

i thought i had some sort of rights when this type of things happens

Old 06-24-2010, 09:44 AM
QIS

919 posts, read 5,167,635 times
Do you have a contract you can point to? If so then you need to have some legal advice based on what a new owner can do and what your contract stipulates; that would something a lawyer or legal service could provide. Get online and see if there are experts(maybe even free, public ones) that can help you get some answers to that.

edit: search for tenant rights in your area ...as I read it....the new owner can't do anything UNTIL he owns the home anyway...

Last edited by QIS; 06-24-2010 at 10:06 AM..

Old 06-24-2010, 12:10 PM

13,027 posts, read 13,932,803 times
As of now, he doesn't own the home. If he is right, he will by Friday -- but sometimes real estate transactions do not close.

In any event, take the lease & make changes to the language & $$ so that it is acceptable to you. Then send it back to him unsigned & say you've made some changes to make it acceptable to you.

Just because he asks for all the stuff doesn't mean he won't accept less. have you ever paid the full asking price for a car???

I wouldn't waste any money on a lawyer yet. Maybe he'll negotiate.

Separately, do you have a security deposit & cleaning deposit you have provided to the current seller?

Old 06-24-2010, 12:56 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,121,961 times
Once he is the legal owner of the property, he can do anything he wants with the lease, and if you don't like it you can move. There's no point in contacting a lawyer because he/she is going to tell you the same thing I'm telling you now. Better to save that money for rent.

Old 06-24-2010, 01:10 PM

looks like im going to have to move after all, this much $$$ in such a short period of time is my problem.... from what i understand i can stay for rent free for 30 days, then im gone... after we move he will have to replace the carpet and paint, plus find a new tenent,,,,im sure thats another 10k out of pocket... he should have just been reasonable instead of taking advantage.... he knew someone was living here, its not like the house was just sitting like the other 5 on my street... I should have refused to allow people to see it and end up going back to the bank where they wouldve paid me to move.. instead i got this jerk demanding i start paying him the 1st day...

Old 06-24-2010, 11:59 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,400,239 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helpfull-Plumber View Post
from what i understand i can stay for rent free for 30 days, then im gone...
That's not accurate. Once the escrow closes, then the new owner can give you 30-days notice - if you're renting month to month. And if you're not out in 30 days, then he can start an eviction - but you don't get 30 days rent free - not sure why you'd think that?

However, if you signed a lease with the previous owner, then the new owner will have to honor the terms of the lease - which means you would continue to pay the same rent you've been paying, until your lease expires.

Quote:
he should have just been reasonable instead of taking advantage....
How is he not being reasonable? He offered to let you stay. You're lucky to have that option - not all tenants in situations like this, get the chance to stay. And yes, he's raising the rent, but that doesn't necessarily make him a bad guy - it could just mean he's raising it enough to pay the new mortgage.

Quote:
I should have refused to allow people to see it and end up going back to the bank where they wouldve paid me to move.. instead i got this jerk demanding i start paying him the 1st day...
Why shouldn't you pay rent on the first day?

Yes it's crummy that the rent is going up, especially if that means you will have to move - but none of this is the new landlords fault? So why call him a jerk?

Old 06-25-2010, 07:19 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,483,052 times
My first thought was - are you sure he is the legal owner now?

There were a lot of scams going around for awhile, where unsuspecting renters were paying money to people who had no deed to the house.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties