Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2009, 01:59 AM

1 posts, read 3,963 times

Advertisements

I was born in San Bernardino, (1959) and we moved to a more upscale area when I was 14- Manhattan Beach CA. I now live in Hawaii. A friend has asked me to move back to SB, but I remember it as being somewhat racist, and having little to offer in the way of cultural aspects, museums, restaurants etc. Does anyone have input on this? I am really curious since I am bi-racial, which had a great deal to do with my parents moving us away.

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2009, 04:30 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,970,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mauimona View Post
I was born in San Bernardino, (1959) and we moved to a more upscale area when I was 14- Manhattan Beach CA. I now live in Hawaii. A friend has asked me to move back to SB, but I remember it as being somewhat racist, and having little to offer in the way of cultural aspects, museums, restaurants etc. Does anyone have input on this? I am really curious since I am bi-racial, which had a great deal to do with my parents moving us away.

Thanks!
San Bernardino itself isn't known as particularly desirable anymore, but it does have nice parts, and some folks on here might try and scare you away with stories of gangs and crime. I think SB is okay.

The area has grown a lot since 1973, but the most exciting stuff can still be found in LA/OC. You are an adult now, and you'll be more than fine in the IE. IMO, Riverside/San Bernardino is one of the least racist places in the nation, and anybody should feel perfectly normal there.

Old 03-14-2009, 06:13 PM

53 posts, read 332,536 times
Thing have not improved at all since 1950. Although I was not born in 1950, I heard it was it hayday. There are always new areas of development, which after a few year seem to not catch traction and die out. Nothing seems to work there. I was happy to have the oppertunity to move out of state and start a new.

Old 03-19-2009, 11:13 PM

21 posts, read 90,346 times
Life is ghetto in San Bernardino, however the good portions are away from the downtown area and closer towards the hills and the colleges. The rest of San Bernardino is a hit or miss pocket away from crime. There was a recent shooting off the off ramp of the 210 in San Bernardino, heres the link:

http://abclocal.go.com/kabc/story?se...ire&id=6719436

Old 05-15-2009, 09:44 AM

17 posts, read 51,014 times
In San Bernardino, women have trouble deciding which pair of flip flops to wear with their coveralls. In the high schools, career-placement pamphlets read the following: Meth or Moonshine? The instruments in the high school music departments of SB are stocked with banjos, empty jugs, and turntables.

Old 05-15-2009, 05:09 PM

493 posts, read 1,448,827 times
Quote:

Thanks!
We've lived here since 1975. I work downtown and live in the 'burbs.

According to a friend who is a lifelong resident, and who recently retired, the local economy took several hits over the years. Kaiser Steel closed, Norton AFB closed, and BNSF moved its shops back to Kansas.

I can see a positive effort. Both SB and Riverside are becoming major distribution areas. New warehouses are everywhere. New homes are being built downtown.

Norton was a wasteland for many years after the Air Force left, but is now becoming an international airport. Stater Brothers built a huge new office and warehouse complex, and Mattel and Pep Boys have new offices and warehouses there. I hope they aren't over-optimistic about the new airport, and I hope they make a go of it.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:52 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,538,061 times
I moved from the HD in 2005 and have family in Chino and SB. From moving and visiting every year since I left there things have changed a lot. Personally I think you would be happy either staying where your at or moving closer to the coast. SB has it's goods and bads, however the bad has been greater then the good. IMO-----so everyone back off about me being in Texas, I am not saying move here. I moved here because this is where I was raised. I came back home. Moved to Cali in the late 80's from West Texas (I was a child) grew up and moved back home in 2005.

Old 05-20-2009, 01:54 PM

3,196 posts, read 5,402,585 times
Quote:

Thanks!
San Bernardino City is a third world country.

Old 05-20-2009, 07:07 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,912,455 times
Northern San Bernardino is very nice. I went to school at Cajon (go Cowboys!) and turned out fine. My friends all lived around Northpark and the University area. Low cime there. Some other friends in Devore, Verdemont as well. These are the best parts of town. I'm biracial too, and I never had a problem.

Old 05-20-2009, 08:58 PM

1 posts, read 3,530 times
Look unfortunaly when it comes to mention San Bernardino right away they'll tell you that is where all the gang members are, and high in crime %. Personally if you are a person that don't like to deal with it just don't move there. Besides houses are cheaper and that's a good thing but always has it's catch of why are they cheap it could be the economy or the neighbord or both.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties