Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-22-2007, 03:37 PM

215 posts, read 985,323 times

Advertisements

What Is Going On With All Of These Fires I Think There Are 8 Fires In Southern California Hwy 15 Cajon Pass Is Closed There Is Only One Way Up And One Why Down From The High Desert So We Are Screwed
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-22-2007, 10:20 PM

871 posts, read 1,985,286 times
My cousin had to travel through Palm Springs and Yucca valley to get back to Apple Valley. It took her 3 hours she said. I heard it was arson that started most of these fires.
138 homes or so burned down in the San Bernadino mountains alone. What scares me now is after all these fires if it rains there will be more flooding. I wonder if people will remember what happened not so long ago when all those people died after the fires in 2002? Was that the year? THe night before Christmas when it poured and the flooding was awful.
I hope whenrain is in the forecast people are warned about possible flooding and evacuate immediatly!!

Old 10-23-2007, 07:30 AM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
Yep, its true. I live near Victorville and some people who commute 'down the hill' wont be able to make it home tonight for this reason. I know a few now who will be staying with friends or family overnight down there. And as of yesterday afternoon, there are 13 fires going right now.
From where I am, the big cloud of smoke near Arrowhead (?) is very noticible. At first we thought it was a storm cloud, but after looking closer, it was obviously no storm cloud.

Old 10-23-2007, 11:44 AM

871 posts, read 1,985,286 times
I heard there were 15 fires now! Is this true? That smoke is all above Fontana. I dont know if the wind is making my headache worse or the smoke. This is awful. I drove down the 15 south today and seen two overturned rigs on the Northbound side. The wind is still fierce. One more day and it should subside. Hang in there Cali!! Its almost over!

Old 10-23-2007, 12:55 PM

21,956 posts, read 24,311,123 times
Just heard some not-so-good news about Running Springs, Grass Valley and Green Lake areas from a friend who lives up there. She has been evacuated and said the fire is worse then the fire a couple of years ago. Lots of losses.

Last edited by cynwldkat; 10-23-2007 at 01:37 PM..

Old 10-23-2007, 01:05 PM

27,343 posts, read 27,397,752 times
This one sorta reminds me of those fires back a few years ago when half of Arizona was burning down. Literally. Several areas, forests, mountainous regions, all at once. I had friends in Show Low and near Flagstaff who were all in one way or other, affected by it.

Old 10-23-2007, 01:16 PM

777 posts, read 3,197,650 times
Some of the fires are merging into one big fire.
The Bark Beetle issue in the mountains definitely makes it worse too.
Although we sorely need the rain, mudslides are going to be an issue for sure. If we do get any rain hopefully it will be spread out over long periods.
I tried to ride my bike up the hills over here in the south Corona area this morning to get some pictures of the fires and smoke in the distance, but they understandably had the forest service roads closed due to high fire danger.

Old 10-23-2007, 05:43 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,293,735 times
This was one of the major reasons we moved from Lake Arrowhead four years ago. We moved right before the big fire hit back then. We knew it was just a matter of time before it would go up in flames.

The good news is this will probably help the real estate market. Last time ... 5,000 homes were lost and prices did jump quite a bit.

Not that prices will jump much this time but, it may prevent prices from falling further.

Landlords will probably take advantage though ... like they did during the last big fire.

Last edited by sheri257; 10-23-2007 at 06:22 PM..

Old 10-24-2007, 07:12 PM

2 posts, read 7,169 times
Hi Booz 30, Fallbrook, Camp Pendleton and Rainbow are on fire right now but as of today 15 was open all day and 5 was closed for a while with the camp Pendleton fire but they re-opened it a few hours ago. It seems that most freeways going to be open going from around the LA area down to San Diego. If the Rainbow fire does come over the hill to Temecula or the Fallbrook fire comes over the hill towards the freeway they will shut down 15 again. I needed to go to SD yesterday but couldn't because 15 was shuit down. I am afraid of getting down there and not being able to come home and I can't do that being on oxygen and heavy medications. If you want to go north you may run into a parking lot as several areas are still on fire and people can't get back to their homes. They are telling people to stay out of the way of Cajon Pass because of the high winds. I hope this helps you.

Last edited by sARAH Beecatcher; 10-24-2007 at 07:23 PM.. Reason: Add something else

Old 10-24-2007, 07:16 PM

2 posts, read 7,169 times
There are actually more than that, they had 8 going in the up north fires and as of last night there was 16 in San Diego county...They still have a lot going and have evacuated over 350,000 people and evacuated even more today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties