Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2013, 06:22 PM

73 posts, read 125,999 times

Advertisements

I would like to relocate in the next 6 months or so and it will most likely be to the Palm Springs area. I have been saving so I will have a few month's rent saved up, plus additional savings for emergencies. I lived in the Long Beach area a few years ago and would like to think that I am a LOT more prepared for a move this time around. Even with the preparation and planning, I'd be a little too nervous to move without having a job lined up first. Can anyone give me some advice on how to go about landing a job from out of state? Or at least getting some leads? Do I have any chance at all? I do not know anyone there, so I don't have a local address to use. The closest address I'd be able to use would be in OC.

Right now I'm working as a leasing consultant and I'd like to find something similar. Anyone know if rental complexes generally offer discounts in housing for employees? I could also do retail, but unless its a management position, I don't think it would be enough income. My boyfriend will be looking for basically any job he can get, although he'd prefer auto technician work or something similar.

Thanks if anyone can help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2013, 06:25 PM

Forgot to mention I will be open to moving to surrounding cities like Palm Desert, LaQuinta, etc.

Old 03-05-2013, 08:16 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,306 times
I'm not sure what a leasing consultant is, but it sounds like it's real estate related. I've posted the link to the local realtors association and The Desert Sun, our local newspaper. If what you're talking about is like a residential apartment manager, there is often a discount in complexes for that position.

Palm Springs Regional Association of REALTORS | Palm Springs Regional MLS

The Desert Sun | Palm Springs news, community, entertainment, yellow pages and classifieds. Serving Palm Springs, California | mydesert.com

The desert isn't nearly as seasonal as it used to be, but it is still harder to find jobs from about May-September. The timing for your move sounds right. People start moving back when the temps break.

Old 03-06-2013, 06:41 PM

Yes, by leasing consultant I'm referring to renting out apartments. Right now I actually lease family homes and duplexes, but its the same thing. I'd love to work with a realtor or real estate investor, but I don't have that experience. Any advice on how I might be able to get my foot in the door with a management company while still living out of state? Would I be better off moving out there with 6 months living expenses saved up and trying to find something when I get there?

Old 03-06-2013, 10:15 PM

687 posts, read 1,494,306 times
Gosh, I wish I could be more help with this, but I don't really have inside info on local real estate. I can tell you, the whole area is still pretty small-town in a lot of ways. This is the contact link for the Coachella Valley Association of Realtors. In most businesses out here you can still get a friendly person on the phone.

California Desert Association of Realtors

If I were in your position, I would call these people since it seems they're the "umbrella" for the area. I would tell them what my plans are and see if there is anybody there, or if they know of anybody I could speak to for help. I would be surprised if they couldn't give you some sort of lead.

Also, check out the rental classifieds, in addition to the jobs section. I've seen property management positions listed in the rentals before, when they're offering free or reduced rent. Good luck!

Old 03-07-2013, 08:14 AM

Thank you Mama! So helpful as always I can't wait to be there!

Old 03-20-2013, 01:19 AM

34 posts, read 88,995 times
You might want to consider working at a restaurant or other possibilities. Just be prepared to work hard for cheap...the desert is tough.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties