Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-26-2013, 03:23 AM

16 posts, read 63,189 times

Advertisements

Hello, I recently moved to Redlands from Allentown, Pa and I'm curious if there is anyone else here from the easy coast (obviously there are). I just want to know what your experience has been as far as the differences, similarities, and whether or not you regret it. I am enjoying my time here but sometimes I do miss the east coast...I feel like everyone knows I'm not from California haha if that's even possible.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2013, 02:05 AM

4,135 posts, read 2,838,713 times
Yep, it was a culture shock at first, very laid back and slow compared to NYC, but I came to like it. Have you been to the Eureka Burger in Redlands? Great food and great beer.

Old 04-27-2013, 12:40 PM

212 posts, read 640,986 times
From Pittsburgh. Moved to Riverside in '06, and moved back to the 'Burgh in late '09. Probably moving back this fall. I don't like cold weather, snow, etc.

It was a bit of a culture shock, but got used to it very easily. Much different than Pittsburgh, that's for sure. But people are much more open-minded in CA, the weather is better (if you don't like snow, etc). Traffic is FAR worse in the IE than here.

Moved back because I was getting tired of the IE area, but the grass isn't always greener on the other side, ya know? Just have to pick a place and make it home, and try to make the best of the aspects that you don't like. Looking forward to being there again this fall.

Old 04-29-2013, 08:38 AM

335 posts, read 517,920 times
If you like the Southwest you'll love the IE, if not, not so much...

East Coasters do great as long as they have the ability to handle sunlight, heat, like the outdoors and are self-motivated regarding activities/interests and community in general.

Hope that helps

Old 04-30-2013, 05:33 AM

16 posts, read 63,189 times
I haven't been to eureka although I plan to in the near future

It's almost too much to get used to. Pennsylvania is almost 100% different in almost every way possible. I also thought I would instantly become happy upon my relocation just from things you hear about California in general, I had also moved here in 01' although to Fresno area.

I find myself becoming homesick which if you would have asked me if I would miss Allentown before I left I would have said no. It's a strange feeling being so far, even though its beautiful and the weather is amazing day in and day out. It just feels so much more isolated here.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:47 AM

335 posts, read 517,920 times
Lehigh valley isn't without its merits, not to mention the Poconos, and many times on the holidays my wife and I have taken the drive there to get away from the grind in NYC.

Although our favorite getaway was Montauk...

I think a lot of it is the culture and community we're raised in puts its stamp on us and becomes our "normal".

Home is where the heart is...

Old 04-30-2013, 10:51 PM

1,320 posts, read 2,699,195 times
Pennsylvania is beautiful, it is true. I won't miss freezing temps and snow and ice, although, knock on wood, the past 3 years have been pretty darn mild in our neck of the woods.

The food is better in CA, IMHO. That alone is enough to make my partner and I relocate.

Old 05-01-2013, 02:51 AM

30 posts, read 63,909 times
i'm currently from the pottsville (PA) area and went to lehigh university in bethlehem, so i know the lehigh valley very well! planning a move to the IE later this year. looked at some new home builds in canyon hills (lake elsinore) this afternoon while visiting family in murrieta

Old 05-01-2013, 03:32 AM

2,985 posts, read 4,886,156 times
The IE is very isolating- brutal suburbia at its best. Your life will revolve around driving to work, then driving to shopping centers, and then driving home. Life in the IE can definitely get mundane, but you can't ever say that you have any lack of things to see or do. Most things are new and convenient here, but spread apart by miles of traffic.

Suburbia 101

Old 05-01-2013, 03:48 AM

341 posts, read 672,343 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pennsylvania2cali View Post
Hello, I recently moved to Redlands from Allentown, Pa and I'm curious if there is anyone else here from the easy coast (obviously there are). I just want to know what your experience has been as far as the differences, similarities, and whether or not you regret it. I am enjoying my time here but sometimes I do miss the east coast...I feel like everyone knows I'm not from California haha if that's even possible.

I seriously regret coming here.....it is nothing more than a big desert.......cannot wait to return to MA....Father was from PA................
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties