Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-12-2008, 01:20 PM

9 posts, read 24,869 times

Advertisements

Hey there! I am a new home owner (as of last April, yay!).

We had a new home built in the High Desert area of Phelan, CA. During the summer, we used our "energy efficient" A/C unit at about 75-80 degrees, and our bill skyrocketed to $800 for the month! During most of the year, we tend to be between 200-350, but then we ran our heater this past winter at about 60-65, and our bill went to $1000 for January alone!

All our windows are double paned, we used portable fans in the rooms during the summer, and kept two of our rooms closed and shut up during both winter and summer (with vents closed to those rooms). Our house is all electric (no gas lines out here) and all of our appliances are Energy Star appliances.

I don't get it! I even had SCE do recounts on our electricity usage and they told us that the counts were right!

SCE told me that "people around here don't use heaters." .... so how do you keep your house warm??

What am I doing wrong? How can I keep my house cool during the summer and warm during the winter (it gets down into the 20s during the winter, particularly at night, and we had snow about three times this year).

HELP!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2008, 01:49 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,458,848 times
Ouch. There's no extension cords running to the neighbors, are there?

All I can say is to adjust your thermostat. I have family in Texas and they run their AC around 80-82 in the summer and use ceiling fans in every room. For the winter, what do you run the heat at overnight? 60-65 sounds OK for waking hours but too high for night. I set mine at 50 at night when we're asleep and often gets down into the low 50's in the bedroom but we have a nice silk comforter so we don't feel it.

What direction does your house face? Can you take advantage of the sun during the day in the winter?

Some additional thoughts: You might want to look into a swamp cooler. They're a lot cheaper to run than traditional AC. Also, a whole house fan might help you use less AC in the spring and fall when its warm in the day but cooler at night.

Last edited by EscapeCalifornia; 03-12-2008 at 01:58 PM..

Old 03-12-2008, 01:57 PM

2,896 posts, read 6,635,947 times
Go up into your attic area and check out the insulation. Often the builders will put in the bare minimum to cover code. If you have a two story be sure your garage walls and door(s) are insulated. The garage can become an over in the summer and a freezer in the winter and if it is uninsulated (many builders do not insulate these walls) any rooms above will take a beating. The last house we had lived in for two years before we realized one wall in the guest bedroom has NO insulation installed!! How it passed inspection is beyond me. Anyhoo we tore our the drywall and corrected the situation.

In addition you may want to inquire about a level pay plan with your electric company so you can have a predictable bill each month.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:44 PM

Thanks Escape California for getting back to me!

No extension cords . We actually don't even have neighbors and are the only house on our side of the street - there's a ranch down the way on the other side though.

Our house faces east and the backside faces west. We are installing ceiling fans before summer this year, so I hope that does help. Our house was getting down to 50 at night internally once we stopped running the heater at night, and that just made getting out of bed so hard! But we got used to it after that nasty bill.

During the winter, it was particularly bad because we are in a downdrift from this mountain ski resort.. yikes! You get lots of cold air coming in so even when it was sunny, it did not get warm.

We are thinking about getting a swamp cooler, but they all say that they only do up to 400 sq ft. Our whole house is pretty open (except the bedrooms) and one of the very big, open rooms is 419 sq ft all on its own, so I'm not sure if it would be cost efficient? Does anyone have experience with that?

Thank you for the input!

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeCalifornia View Post
Ouch. There's no extension cords running to the neighbors, are there?

All I can say is to adjust your thermostat. I have family in Texas and they run their AC around 80-82 in the summer and use ceiling fans in every room. For the winter, what do you run the heat at overnight? 60-65 sounds OK for waking hours but too high for night. I set mine at 50 at night when we're asleep and often gets down into the low 50's in the bedroom but we have a nice silk comforter so we don't feel it.

What direction does your house face? Can you take advantage of the sun during the day in the winter?

Some additional thoughts: You might want to look into a swamp cooler. They're a lot cheaper to run than traditional AC. Also, a whole house fan might help you use less AC in the spring and fall when its warm in the day but cooler at night.

Old 03-12-2008, 02:46 PM

Thanks for the response da jammer. However, we are a single story house, no garage, and no attic. We have an under-house crawl space, but that's all. The house does have insulation throughout.

I'll think about a pay-plan, but my interest is in reducing the amount of electricity used, not spreading the cost out throughout the year. Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by da jammer View Post
Go up into your attic area and check out the insulation. Often the builders will put in the bare minimum to cover code. If you have a two story be sure your garage walls and door(s) are insulated. The garage can become an over in the summer and a freezer in the winter and if it is uninsulated (many builders do not insulate these walls) any rooms above will take a beating. The last house we had lived in for two years before we realized one wall in the guest bedroom has NO insulation installed!! How it passed inspection is beyond me. Anyhoo we tore our the drywall and corrected the situation.

In addition you may want to inquire about a level pay plan with your electric company so you can have a predictable bill each month.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:24 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,768,787 times
1) invest in solar.. i believe you can write off some of the cost

2) dont run the system 24/7.. turn it off when you goto bed and when you're leaving the house for an extended period of time. i know its not normal in california, but most houses in denver that ive seen have attic fans that pump the air out of the house(fairly quickly) and cool the house significantly without using too much energy(hot air rises, makes sense that a system to pump air from the ceiling out the top of the house would work well). you may want to consider looking into that for when you get home from work.

also, is your attic space/ceilings insulated?

ceiling fans work very well at a much lower use of energy as well. ive always liked casablancas as i feel they have a very good longterm durability when running the motors constantly.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:32 PM

1,356 posts, read 6,027,646 times
You need a whole house swamp cooler, not a room one. And if you do get a room swamp cooler, it will not work unless it is drawing air in from the outside.

For the winter, you could get a wood burning stove. Where I live that is how most people heat their homes. There is talk of banning them on certain days, however, at below 4000' elevation.

Old 03-12-2008, 03:44 PM

1,831 posts, read 5,294,524 times
I don't live that far from you and, our bills never got that high ....

But, we just had a HUGE adjustment in our utility bill to the point that we haven't had to pay anything for four months.

I don't know what happened or why but, I got a bill showing adjustments going back to last summer ... stating that our account had been credited for various amounts over several months.

I didn't call the power company about it but, maybe this is what happening in your case. Some of kind of major error because ... your bills are way higher than ours were ... even before this adjustment.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:05 PM

Thanks for the response bhcompy!

However, we do not have an attic. Also, my problem is that I still need my house cool enough even when I am not there. I have three cats and three chinchillas (which overheat fairly easy and will die if they get too hot). All my pets are indoors only as we are out there in rural area and the cats would get eaten if they went out side.

Thanks for the tip on ceiling fans. I am definitely going to get a few!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhcompy View Post
1) invest in solar.. i believe you can write off some of the cost

2) dont run the system 24/7.. turn it off when you goto bed and when you're leaving the house for an extended period of time. i know its not normal in california, but most houses in denver that ive seen have attic fans that pump the air out of the house(fairly quickly) and cool the house significantly without using too much energy(hot air rises, makes sense that a system to pump air from the ceiling out the top of the house would work well). you may want to consider looking into that for when you get home from work.

also, is your attic space/ceilings insulated?

ceiling fans work very well at a much lower use of energy as well. ive always liked casablancas as i feel they have a very good longterm durability when running the motors constantly.

Old 03-12-2008, 04:07 PM

THanks for the response Niners Fan!

We are just bout at 4000' elevation, and I have a wood burning fireplace, but an electric stove. I have been advised to use the fireplace more frequently and intend to do so next winter.

Does anyone know where I could get a whole house swamp cooler? I have been looking around casually so far but have not found any "big" ones like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Niners fan View Post
You need a whole house swamp cooler, not a room one. And if you do get a room swamp cooler, it will not work unless it is drawing air in from the outside.

For the winter, you could get a wood burning stove. Where I live that is how most people heat their homes. There is talk of banning them on certain days, however, at below 4000' elevation.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties