Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-16-2007, 03:55 PM

192 posts, read 263,822 times

Advertisements

I sold my home in Arizona in 2005, and I've been freezing my ass off in Virginia. I'm considering a move back tot he desert. I'm single, no kids, college educated, and not real wealthy. It looks like there are some greatly reduced, foreclosed homes in DHS. Are the convicts running the prison there?
Is it a lot different than the other desert communities? How much do things like water/trash/sewer cost? Thanks for the feedback in advance and happy holidays to everyone!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-20-2007, 07:47 AM

192 posts, read 263,822 times
Not one response in 4 days. Is it really that bad. The illegals, the methheads? Isn't that warm winter weather worth something?

Old 12-20-2007, 08:26 AM

107 posts, read 580,080 times
maybe everyone is out enjoying the warm winter.... get yourself over here, and you wont have time reading city-data.com/frorum

Old 12-22-2007, 02:39 AM

268 posts, read 1,199,608 times
El General:

I suppose that part of the reason for no response is that some of us have answered this question before and were waiting to see if anyone new wished to respond. Apparently not.

DHS...what can I say. When I first moved to the Coachella Valley, the saying was that "The only people who live in Desert Hot Springs are either on pensions or parole". And while DHS has certainly been a place where a tremendous amount of new housing has been put up, the overall character of the city has not changed drastically.

DHS is still home to most of the meth labs in the Valley. It is known for it's high crime rate and for not being terribly well policed. It is a popular spot for random gang and drug related shootings, and to dump the bodies of crime victims. While most City Councils in the surrounding cities aren't exactly run by the best and the brightest, DHS's has always been a shining example of ineptitude. It is rare indeed that you ever hear a good news story that highlights DHS.

Granted, there are people that absolutely love the place. These are usually those who have lived there for years, hardcore desert rats, who have created in their minds this idea of DHS being an "undiscovered gem" or "the last unspoiled paradise" in the Coachella Valley. The broken down single wides and abandoned buildings have just become part of the desert landscape to them.

People that know the Coachella Valley well, will be among the first to tell you that Desert Hot Springs is one of the last places they would either live or recommend that someone else live. It would be sharing the bottom spot on the less then desirable places list with Coachella, parts of Indio and Mecca.

You stated that you left Arizona to move to Virginia. Unless you disliked Arizona, why not just move back there? The housing market in Phoenix is in the toilet and there are tons of foreclosed homes (many of them brand new, never even lived in) to be had, if thats what you're looking for. I realize that Phoenix is crowded and has it's share of problems, but still I would choose it over Desert Hot Springs any day.

Only you can say what it is that you're truly after and what would work best for you. But if the goal is just to pick up a cheap house in a warm place, I think you can do way better then DHS.

Old 12-22-2007, 12:39 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,027,811 times
Yes, it really is THAT bad! Trust me, DHS isn't like the other desert cities. You don't want to go there. Since you're interested in foreclosed properties, you should look into the other desert cities.

Oh, one more thing. I have homes in warm places I want to sell! I have a couple in the Phoenix area and one in Hesperia (okay, Hesperia gets cold!), if you're interested. They aren't foreclosures though.

Old 03-26-2008, 07:31 PM

2 posts, read 13,059 times
I have lived in DHS since 95 and its started out bad and has gotten worse from there I dont see anything good about the city at all rent is cheap? thats why you get so many losers/welfare addicts/criminals living here its a place you want to try to move out of not into

Old 03-27-2008, 12:05 PM

10 posts, read 53,558 times
We moved to DHS last summer because the rent was cheap. We were gone by the next month. It was horrible! We had people looking into our apartment all the time--especially at night. I felt unsafe and was afraid to send my daughter to school there. There is nothing in the town- if you want to go anywhere you have to travel to palm springs, palm desert, etc... I don't recommend it to anyone.

Old 03-29-2008, 01:45 PM

1,181 posts, read 3,806,584 times
Yes, DHS is that bad. Why not move back to AZ? Still much cheaper, and very beautiful.

Old 03-31-2008, 09:39 AM

1 posts, read 11,286 times
DHS is that bad? I'm from San Diego, but living in eastern Washington now, cannot abide the fierce winters here, but family responsibilites make a permanent return to CA impossible. I have asthma, and do better in warmer climates. Have been thinking about snow birding, buying a little place in DHS that would work for a few months of the year. Can't afford most other CA locales, so what are my other options? Thanks.

Old 04-01-2008, 02:25 AM

268 posts, read 1,199,608 times
Your other option is to do what many snowbirds do; utilize a seasonal rental. There are an abundance of such rentals all through the Coachella Valley. If you only plan on being around for a few months of the year, it doesn't really make sense to buy something, especially if your budget is such that you are limited to places like Desert Hot Springs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties