Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-11-2014, 12:33 PM

4 posts, read 18,282 times

Advertisements

Hello, would love any thoughts or opinions on this. Apologies in advance to locals who object to weekenders.

We are considering buying a vacation cabin at Lake Gregory. It is located within walking distance of the lake entrance opposite the Splash Island area and has a nice view of the mountains and tiny bit of lake.

I am wondering about Crestline in general. I understand it can be a little rough but it seems like the area around the lake is nice.

Any thoughts on what will happen once the contract is up with the company that revitalized the lake? Are there concerns in the community about the future? I understand it's a man-made lake that wasn't kept up by the county a few years ago. Concerned too about drought effects in the future.

Can anyone give me a realistic view of the rental market? We have not decided if we would go that route or just use it ourselves on the weekend.

We're not able to afford property with lake rights in Arrowhead, Big Bear is too far up the hill.

Any input is tremendously appreciated.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2014, 10:18 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,032,565 times
I have owned a home in Crestline since 1999 and was a weekender before that since before I was born....

1. The County operated the lake prior to the current contractor, before that it was the
San Moritz Club. When the current contract is up, after at least 3 years, the county could operate it again, or they could put it out for rebid.

2. The current operator did not revitalize the lake. They put in floaties, started charging for things that were previously free--fishing, parking, etc. They raised all the prices for everything. The lake needs a major upgrade to the plates/dam area. The County has not paid to get that fixed for years. That is why we can not have the lake level at where it used to be. They county studies it, but does not fix it. The problem is that the dam could release during an earthquake if the water level was higher. there is an earthquake fault that runs through the lake. The drudging that was done was not done by the new company, but by the county, under a different contract, last year. Drought---well the lake gets water from snow and rain, so when we get them, the lake is fuller. It is not used for drinking, but is used for fire control.

3. Future community concerns: we are loosing our private Crest Forest Fire Department next year and will have county services. There will be a mega cost to us, through taxes, to pay to convert all the firemen to the county retirement system. We still have bonds and payments through the Crest Forest system that we will also have to pay off. We will be in double debt for decades....and with reduced service. Fire is a biggie up here.

4. Police/courts are pretty much a book 'em and release so the druggies will use your home as a free supply depot to get stuff to sell for drugs. Someone should be home, or get nosy neighbors...or an alarm system with monitoring.

5. Rental market, just be careful with who you rent to, many scammers who damage the property and do not or can not pay to fix it. e.g. a sports team stayed in one rental for a weekend and put their empty beer bottles through the drywall in the living room. It looked like a bottle house when they were done and the whole room had to be redry walled and painted...plus it stunk of beer and urine.

6. The school system here sucks--low scores, bullies allowed to run rampant at the schools, principals changed every year, teachers who do not care to teach.

Old 10-02-2020, 11:03 AM

7 posts, read 23,060 times
Hi.. Rougeeditor,

I wonder if you end up buying any property at Crestline? I have similar idea as you, cannot afford Lake arrowhead + lake right issues, and big bear is too far. If you read this post will appreciate any thought, advice, property tax %, utilities bills or any issues. I read couple things about green algae during summer times, is this gonna be every year problem or just certain years? what about the drought? drugs issues in the neighborhood?

I am planning to get sml cabin for vacay house, I have 2 sml girls, they enjoy water and snow.

Hi.. lae60, very informative, I do not even think about that until reading your post.

Old 10-02-2020, 03:04 PM

4 posts, read 18,282 times
Hi Mery_ay, wow, this is an oldie! We did not end up buying the cabin, but good luck with your plans. -R

Old 05-18-2021, 02:01 AM

399 posts, read 1,549,705 times
I was thinking of trekking to Downey each day for work to relocate to the mountains and heal. We went up to look at houses today and was sadly less impressed. Not very walkable or easy to get around, a small area with a nice vibe, quiet (serenity now my eleventh year going into LA) and enjoyable, but the commute to and from my work to pay a bit less for a house that would be full time living...just didn’t work for us.

I know the OP wants a part time residence, but after reading these posts, I think my intuition was dead on...something seemed off about such a friendly and open place, that you can’t really get around easily, and would be a nightmare in a storm or fire situation. The big attraction other than nature, obvious...homes for easily $700k less than our street we live on now. Owning your life versus paying for it.

Old 05-19-2021, 05:44 PM

3,606 posts, read 1,656,648 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lae60 View Post
I have owned a home in Crestline since 1999 and was a weekender before that since before I was born....

1. The County operated the lake prior to the current contractor, before that it was the
San Moritz Club. When the current contract is up, after at least 3 years, the county could operate it again, or they could put it out for rebid.

2. The current operator did not revitalize the lake. They put in floaties, started charging for things that were previously free--fishing, parking, etc. They raised all the prices for everything. The lake needs a major upgrade to the plates/dam area. The County has not paid to get that fixed for years. That is why we can not have the lake level at where it used to be. They county studies it, but does not fix it. The problem is that the dam could release during an earthquake if the water level was higher. there is an earthquake fault that runs through the lake. The drudging that was done was not done by the new company, but by the county, under a different contract, last year. Drought---well the lake gets water from snow and rain, so when we get them, the lake is fuller. It is not used for drinking, but is used for fire control.

3. Future community concerns: we are loosing our private Crest Forest Fire Department next year and will have county services. There will be a mega cost to us, through taxes, to pay to convert all the firemen to the county retirement system. We still have bonds and payments through the Crest Forest system that we will also have to pay off. We will be in double debt for decades....and with reduced service. Fire is a biggie up here.

4. Police/courts are pretty much a book 'em and release so the druggies will use your home as a free supply depot to get stuff to sell for drugs. Someone should be home, or get nosy neighbors...or an alarm system with monitoring.

5. Rental market, just be careful with who you rent to, many scammers who damage the property and do not or can not pay to fix it. e.g. a sports team stayed in one rental for a weekend and put their empty beer bottles through the drywall in the living room. It looked like a bottle house when they were done and the whole room had to be redry walled and painted...plus it stunk of beer and urine.

6. The school system here sucks--low scores, bullies allowed to run rampant at the schools, principals changed every year, teachers who do not care to teach.

Recently sold elderly moms old family weekender cabin (not far away in Cedarpines Park) that has been in the family a few generations. Nice, but am always busy doing work (like weedwacking for fire season, repairs, etc.) half the time when up there...as it is on many lots. The "old fire" barely missed our cabin back in 2003...I thought it was gone for sure. Our insurer dropped fire coverage on our place recently...new neighbor across the street had to cut all of the trees down in front yard just to get fire insurance. Used to have really good full time neighbors that would watch over our weekender cabin...most moved out, with many new moving in. I have been worried about fire threat up there for years...a weight off my shoulders finally selling, although it is a little sad since it is nice up there if you are willing to take the risk with more rural living in the forest. Have contacts of some of the old timers still up there and will check up on them from time to time...as well as checking out my old fruit tree "orchard" of about 15 trees (Apple, Plum, Apricot, and a Nectarine) still alive 30 years after I planted them.

Last edited by Fisherman99; 05-19-2021 at 05:56 PM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties