Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-02-2014, 09:43 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I have some friends who are professors at UC Riverside who just purchased a quaint house in Redlands near the Redlands Bowl in downtown for a little over 200K. They are very happy with their current state in life... although whenever they want to "go out" and do something they of course have to drive all the way out to LA which for them is easily a 1.5-2 hour trip one way.
I really wonder how those 200,000,000+ Americans who live more than 60 miles away from the downtown of a major megalopolis survive.

Old 10-02-2014, 09:47 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
IE seems like a nice place if one wants it quiet and peaceful at night, but I'm not sure if I could ever handle that oven heat.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-02-2014, 10:10 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
IE seems like a nice place if one wants it quiet and peaceful at night, but I'm not sure if I could ever handle that oven heat.
It's not that different from the SFV.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:01 AM

14 posts, read 21,042 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz View Post
I have some friends who are professors at UC Riverside who just purchased a quaint house in Redlands near the Redlands Bowl in downtown for a little over 200K. They are very happy with their current state in life... although whenever they want to "go out" and do something they of course have to drive all the way out to LA which for them is easily a 1.5-2 hour trip one way.
Well if they feel they must drive to LA to have a good time then they live and work in the wrong place. The term Snob comes to mind. Petty, but likely accurate.

Old 10-03-2014, 01:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by West of Encino View Post
It is nowhere near quiet and peaceful. Most who own homes are stuck with the lack of police response to create that quiet and peaceful ideal. Renters seem to rule.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:32 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,437,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GatsbyGatz
... although whenever they want to "go out" and do something they of course have to drive all the way out to LA which for them is easily a 1.5-2 hour trip one way.
They need to explore Palm Springs or Riverside. Sheesh - or even their hometown.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jhn_plsn View Post
It is nowhere near quiet and peaceful. Most who own homes are stuck with the lack of police response to create that quiet and peaceful ideal. Renters seem to rule.
Huh.
I've been in the county (no city police) since 1999.

I've had to call the county sheriff for noise control maybe 3 times in all those years. You know - those people that think everyone wants to 'enjoy' their party music at full volume until o'dark hundred.
When I've called, the party got shut down and the music stopped within 15 minutes.

No complaints about law enforcement from me!

Old 10-04-2014, 03:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Huh.
I've been in the county (no city police) since 1999.

I've had to call the county sheriff for noise control maybe 3 times in all those years. You know - those people that think everyone wants to 'enjoy' their party music at full volume until o'dark hundred.
When I've called, the party got shut down and the music stopped within 15 minutes.

No complaints about law enforcement from me!
Must be a sheriff vs city police thing.

Old 10-04-2014, 03:42 PM

1,095 posts, read 1,631,663 times
I am a millennial. Let me weigh in on this one. Several articles say Millennials prefer a more urban environment to the suburbs. One reason my generation moves to the suburbs is because it is cheaper. We've been priced out of the urban areas. Just because we might rent or buy a home in the suburbs does not mean we prefer it over a more urban area. Millennials Prefer Cities to Suburbs, Subways to Driveways

Old 10-08-2014, 09:00 PM

817 posts, read 922,764 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aboveordinary View Post
I am a millennial. Let me weigh in on this one. Several articles say Millennials prefer a more urban environment to the suburbs. One reason my generation moves to the suburbs is because it is cheaper. We've been priced out of the urban areas. Just because we might rent or buy a home in the suburbs does not mean we prefer it over a more urban area. Millennials Prefer Cities to Suburbs, Subways to Driveways
I understand the thinking because that used to be me. I lived in Chicago until age 13 and then my parents uprooted me to the suburbs. Always planned a return to Chicago until it was time to make the move, at which time a condo in Schaumburg turned out to be the affordable way to own instead of rent. We turned out to like the open spaces a lot (living in a different kind of suburb than where I spent my teen years). Then with kids, we were never going to send them to Chicago Public Schools. So the planned return to the city never happened, but it was my intent. One more thing is that we found walkable areas in Schaumburg and lived in a walkable area of Alta Loma. Now my job has moved me to Texas and we are in a walkable area of Frisco.

To the Redlands profs.. I understand the need to find entertainment elsewhere but we normally found it in Vegas, a mere 3 hours away.

Old 10-09-2014, 12:16 PM

26,735 posts, read 26,820,948 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beardown91737 View Post
To the Redlands profs.. I understand the need to find entertainment elsewhere but we normally found it in Vegas, a mere 3 hours away.
Las Vegas doesn't exactly sound like a U. of Redlands professor's cup of tea...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties