Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2016, 08:15 AM

4 posts, read 12,161 times

Advertisements

Okay. Let's assume good weather conditions on and off the mountain, i.e. no snow or rain or fog.

Two questions:

Would you drive down the mountain from Crestline at night?

What about driving up the mountain to Crestline at night?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Donna
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-20-2016, 09:25 AM

1,001 posts, read 788,917 times
Only if I absolutely had to.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:51 AM

Okay. That poses another question:

Do you (or does one) leave home at night in Crestline to go someplace in Crestline?

Like to go to a restaurant or grocery store or whatnot?

(Again, assume good weather conditions.)

Old 04-20-2016, 04:07 PM

1,001 posts, read 788,917 times
it's not that bad, but most stuff closes pretty early and during the summer it doesn't get dark until 8 8:30.

Old 04-20-2016, 04:34 PM

1,884 posts, read 3,035,541 times
Going Down The Hill (DTH) and back at night is no problem IF one is careful when going through San Bernardino. Its a rough ghetto so just be aware of what is going on and be ready to turn away from any excitement. That is, know a few side streets to go to when there is a shooting on Waterman.

As far as going out in Crestline at night, no safety issues, its very safe. BUT most of the town, even the restaurants close at 8 to 9. The Bars are still open and they do have food, pool tables, etc if that is your thing. Bear Claw is rumored to be rougher than the Stockade. That is not my thing so I have not been to them.

I do take my kids to things at night, the movies in Blue Jay, swimming at a timeshare in Lake Arrowhead, scouts in Running Springs and Crestline (we live in Crestline) at night with no concerns if the weather is good.

Old 04-20-2016, 05:09 PM

I'm pretty much a homebody anyway, but it feels different being *forced* to be one, lol!

Thanks for your thoughts.

Old 04-24-2016, 01:53 AM

14 posts, read 19,700 times
When I lived in the mountains (Running Springs), I would drive up and down the hill (both on the 330 and the 18) at any hour of the day or night without giving it a second thought. It's not a bad drive, and you will very quickly get to the point where every curve of the road becomes so familiar that you can do the drive in fog purely from memory.

Even with less than perfect weather, the driving usually isn't too bad as long as you adjust your driving for the conditions. The biggest concern on the 18 is the fog, but that's manageable for anyone who drives with patience and is familiar with the road.

Unless you don't consider yourself to be a confident driver, I wouldn't worry at all about being forced to stay at home because of the driving. I agree with previous posters that it's very safe to go out in Crestline and most of the mountain communities at night (the Valley of Enchantment area is the only area I would not consider to be reasonably safe at night just because of its reputation for drugs; there's not much to do there anyway), but it is indeed true that most restaurants close pretty early.

Old 04-24-2016, 05:18 PM

21 posts, read 57,566 times
I am not the best driver because I have ADHD. I would say it is not that challenging to drive. Just work on quick reflexes and have good headlights.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties