Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-07-2014, 08:40 AM

4 posts, read 21,988 times

Advertisements

Hi, I'll try to keep this as concise as possible, thanks.

So my mom is finally planning on purchasing a home after renting in Downey, CA for 2 years. I'm trying to help her out with little parts of the movement, and she is now contemplating on Victorville, CA (Cheap housing) She's got her sights set on 2 properties along Bear Valley Road. Now, I've researched a bit about the city, using City-Data and a few other websites and from what I read... It's a little rough? Particularly for crime?

My question is...

Like in any city, where are the "good areas" we should stay in, and the "bad areas" we should stay out of? Or are these good and bad areas non-existent?
Specific streets or recognizable structures would help a lot.

P.S. - I've read that 7th street, Old Town Victorville is one of the "bad/stay out of" areas? Is this true?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-07-2014, 10:09 PM

7 posts, read 27,851 times
Old Town V-ville along 7th St. is a tough area, and there's some tough areas along Palmdale Road west of the V-ville Mall.

Old 05-07-2014, 10:50 PM

1,940 posts, read 3,565,213 times
It's interesting that in both Palmdale and Victorville the general advice is stay at least a mile WEST of the freeway. I've visited a friend's family in VV east of the freeway. It's shockingly run down.

Old 05-08-2014, 01:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
Old Town V-ville along 7th St. is a tough area, and there's some tough areas along Palmdale Road west of the V-ville Mall.
Do you mean "The Mall of Victor Valley"? That's what it's called on Google Maps, and it's actually located where the I-15 and Bear Valley Rd intersect. I really hope you mean Palmdale Rd indefinitely.

Quote:
Originally Posted by timtemtym View Post
It's interesting that in both Palmdale and Victorville the general advice is stay at least a mile WEST of the freeway. I've visited a friend's family in VV east of the freeway. It's shockingly run down.
Seriously? Victor Valley Community College is on the east side of the I-15. How's the area around the school? If you know? I also noticed Costco on the east side....

Old 05-08-2014, 10:15 PM

Do you mean "The Mall of Victor Valley"? That's what it's called on Google Maps, and it's actually located where the I-15 and Bear Valley Rd intersect. I really hope you mean Palmdale Rd indefinitely

Sorry, yup, I meant Bear Valley Rd. And we always just called the mall the VV Mall. I lived off Bear Valley in Hesperia til last November.

Old 05-08-2014, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dxg1337 View Post

Seriously? Victor Valley Community College is on the east side of the I-15. How's the area around the school? If you know? I also noticed Costco on the east side....
The area around the college is pretty nice. All along Bear Valley by there, and into Apple Valley is pretty nice.

Old 05-09-2014, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thunderhawk View Post
Sorry, yup, I meant Bear Valley Rd. And we always just called the mall the VV Mall. I lived off Bear Valley in Hesperia til last November.

Aw crap. Are you serious? The properties she's contemplating on buying are somewhat near the mall... I guess that tells why the prices are cheap there....

Old 05-12-2014, 11:36 AM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,974 times
All of it is bad. I lived in Victorville for 11 years, so I know what I'm talking about. Any housing tract by the mall is hell. Anything between the freeway and 395 is gang-infested and bad. Anyplace by Luna or the High School is horrifically bad. I moved because two people were murdered on my street, Antioch Circle. Google Maps that place. It was a beautiful street when we bought there in 1991 and turned ghetto VERY quickly.

You couldn't pay me to live in Victorville. It's cheap, run down, ugly and crime infested. Houses are dirt cheap for a reason!! Listen to our advice and save your mom a lot of heartache!

Old 05-13-2014, 12:53 PM

643 posts, read 918,082 times
Best advice is to not move there

Old 05-14-2014, 01:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
All of it is bad. I lived in Victorville for 11 years, so I know what I'm talking about. Any housing tract by the mall is hell. Anything between the freeway and 395 is gang-infested and bad. Anyplace by Luna or the High School is horrifically bad. I moved because two people were murdered on my street, Antioch Circle. Google Maps that place. It was a beautiful street when we bought there in 1991 and turned ghetto VERY quickly.

You couldn't pay me to live in Victorville. It's cheap, run down, ugly and crime infested. Houses are dirt cheap for a reason!! Listen to our advice and save your mom a lot of heartache!
Thanks for the reply Ulysses!

What would you have to say about this thread though? I read it twice not really believing the info, but the statistics are correct. However, it's just one positive out of the many negative threads there is about the city... so there is that....

I sure wish that Biz901 person would post an update or something.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties