Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2017, 09:57 PM

17,874 posts, read 15,932,559 times

Advertisements

Does the Victor Valley have a more pleasant weather than the rest of the Inland Empire? By pleasant I mean cooler in the summer?

This past weekend I stayed in OC on my way back from vacation. I took the opportunity and drove up the 55 to Riverside FWY, and then north on I-15. I stopped to buy smoothie in Mira Loma, and the thermometer said 99F. Now it was dry though. Then I crossed the mountains into Hesperia, and was a dry 84F. It was quite pleasant.

Is Victor Valley normally cooler than rest of IE, and does that actually make it a more desirable place to live despite the distance to rest of SoCal? If you are priced out of the coastal areas, but still want a cooler climate will you move to Victor Valley.

I actually drove all the way up to Ridgecrest then to Tehachapi, and back down to LA through Palmdale/Lancaster. And is same thing. Ridgecrest was very pleasant. Is it like that even in middle summer? Tehachapi is elevated, and is too cold for shorts and T-shirt. I stopped in Palmdale for a breather, and it was also cool, but at night. What is Palmdale like during day?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2017, 10:30 PM

1,377 posts, read 2,129,483 times
First off, just an FYI, the Victor Valley (or, VV for short) is usually not considered to be an area of the IE.

As far as the weather goes, yes, I imagine it is more pleasant than the IE, due to its higher elevation of more than at least 2500 feet above sea level. Of the four main VV towns (Victorville, Hesperia, Apple Valley, Adelanto), Hesperia is the coolest and highest.

Old 10-10-2017, 09:06 AM

925 posts, read 1,064,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brandon Graves View Post
First off, just an FYI, the Victor Valley (or, VV for short) is usually not considered to be an area of the IE.

As far as the weather goes, yes, I imagine it is more pleasant than the IE, due to its higher elevation of more than at least 2500 feet above sea level. Of the four main VV towns (Victorville, Hesperia, Apple Valley, Adelanto), Hesperia is the coolest and highest.
I have friends in Victorville and it’s hotter in summer sometimes by as much as 10 degrees F compared to my house in the Ontario area. Also much colder in the winter. Sometimes even getting snow. The mountains block any moderating influences from the coast in the high desert.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:34 AM

3,433 posts, read 3,748,685 times
The weather is more variable. Spring and fall are pleasant, but summer is at least as hot and winter is colder. This is in comparsion to most of the flatter areas of the Inland Empire. It can be more windy also.

Old 10-10-2017, 05:50 PM

3,049 posts, read 4,543,907 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJ Brazen_3133 View Post

I actually drove all the way up to Ridgecrest then to Tehachapi, and back down to LA through Palmdale/Lancaster. And is same thing. Ridgecrest was very pleasant. Is it like that even in middle summer? Tehachapi is elevated, and is too cold for shorts and T-shirt. I stopped in Palmdale for a breather, and it was also cool, but at night. What is Palmdale like during day?
Ridgecrest is very hot during the summer because it is a purely desert climate.

Palmdale is closer to the coast and is actually located in a "steppe" climate. Palmdale gets an occasional marine influence that creeps up from Ventura/Oxnard into Fillmore, then Santa Clarita and then up the canyon into the foothills of the Antelope Valley.

Palmdale is hot during the day in the summertime, but relatively pleasant in the fall and spring. You will get some wind though, as this is Southern California and wind is common inland.

Old 10-15-2017, 10:14 AM

104 posts, read 213,802 times
I live in LA but had a home in hesperia. The summers were very hot, but low humidity so you feel the warmth, but you don't sweat immediately or feel like you're sweating in saranwrap like you do in LA when it gets hot. The nice thing most summer nights cool off nicely. So I would just open my windows and a cool breeze would come through. The winters are cold but I love love the cold. You do feel the seasons more so in Victorville. You just don't see leaves changing much because people don't plant trees because it costs too much water to keep them alive lol.

Old 10-15-2017, 04:28 PM

335 posts, read 517,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
I have friends in Victorville and it’s hotter in summer sometimes by as much as 10 degrees F compared to my house in the Ontario area. Also much colder in the winter. Sometimes even getting snow. The mountains block any moderating influences from the coast in the high desert.
I seriously doubt this is true, especially given it drops 30-40 degrees overnight, where it barely cools off in the low desert.

Also, air pollution down-the-hill (e.g. Ontario) is LIFE THREATENING in the summer, where we don't have that problemo in the Victor Valley

Old 10-15-2017, 05:50 PM

925 posts, read 1,064,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Biz901 View Post
I seriously doubt this is true, especially given it drops 30-40 degrees overnight, where it barely cools off in the low desert.

Also, air pollution down-the-hill (e.g. Ontario) is LIFE THREATENING in the summer, where we don't have that problemo in the Victor Valley
Get your Geography correct. The Ontario area is not low desert. That is the Palm Springs area where it doesn't drop below 90 degrees most summer nights. Ontario regularly drops into the low 60 s most summer nights. We regularity get breezes from the west which I don't believe get over the mountains to Victorville.

Old 10-15-2017, 07:54 PM

13,827 posts, read 29,928,005 times
Lots of good info here.

The Victor Valley is hotter than the IE during the summer, in general. I am not surprised that Hesperia was cooler than the IE this time of year (that would not usually be the case in the summer months). The VV is usually cooler in the winter, with occasional sub-freezing temperatures and very occasional snow. Ridgecrest's climate is similar, but not quite as cold as the VV or AV in the winter (but still sub-freezing often, with rarer snow), and very HOT in the summer, with 110's not uncommon.

The area along CA-58 (Mojave, Edwards, Boron, Kramer Jct) can be VERY cold in the winter. I've seen it dip to 10F in those parts several times, and those towns can get snow as well. Lancaster and Palmdale are a bit colder than the Victor Valley in the winter, and maybe a few degrees cooler on average during the summer, but still hotter than LA/OC/IE.

Tehachapi is pretty darn close to a four seasons climate, a mild one at least (they can just about count on snow a few times/winter). The Kern River Valley is similar, but warmer all around (though the far western/eastern reaches of it {Wofford Heights, Onyx, Weldon} also see snow a few times/winter).

All of the desert locations are VERY windy. Wind that will wake you up out of a deep sleep.

The reason the desert locations are not more desirable are because of the commuting distance to job centers, and in general, a lower demographic (income/education/etc).

Old 10-17-2017, 11:40 AM

335 posts, read 517,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BGS91762 View Post
Get your Geography correct. The Ontario area is not low desert. That is the Palm Springs area where it doesn't drop below 90 degrees most summer nights. Ontario regularly drops into the low 60 s most summer nights. We regularity get breezes from the west which I don't believe get over the mountains to Victorville.
I haven't paid attention to Ontario temps, but I know for certain in the summer it is 10+ hotter in SB, Fontana & Redlands than the Victor Valley, with higher nighttime temps to boot...

Oh, and we have our own weather patterns up here, with plenty of breeze to push any of that dangerously nasty air pollution that makes it over the Cajon Pass that you all have to breath everyday
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties