Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-12-2020, 01:32 PM

13 posts, read 37,290 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Housecurious View Post
We are using a realtor because I read in other forums that some builders try to Run lines by promising one thing like a free upgrade but then “forgetting” or getting screwed over by financing. We also want our own inspections done due to ppl complaining about wiring and pipes shortly after the homes are finished. Some builders are Leary about you using your own inspector. And I hate dealing with sales people bc they tell you what you want to hear then conveniently forget lol So we just wanted someone to fight a little for us. And it’s not coming out of our pockets so even better lol

We used our own inspector for the house, always use your own. They can help find things that is covered under your first year fit and finish warranty.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-12-2020, 02:12 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw722 View Post
We used our own inspector for the house, always use your own. They can help find things that is covered under your first year fit and finish warranty.
I personally checked our new home each step of the way as each section was finished. Foundation, the bare wooden walls, the electric, A/C, gas lines and more, then the drywall, and ... well the list is long and I found some errors and I took photos and the builder fixed them before the next step. One year later the only issue was one floor tile that cracked and they replaced it. This was done a few years back. No problems since. If you can't go yourself or if you have minimal knowledge use an inspector. having them inspect after the build is finished, will not reveal some of the very observable issues I saw.

Old 12-12-2020, 02:44 PM

31 posts, read 74,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nw722 View Post
Yes we want to use our own as well. How did you know when to hire one? Does the builder let you know when they are installing things like electrical and plumbing (what we are worried about the most bc that’s Where the most complaints were when we read reviews). The reviews We read were not with this builder specifically but with new construction homes overall.

How many times did your inspector go out?

Old 12-13-2020, 01:22 PM

65 posts, read 103,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
I personally checked our new home each step of the way as each section was finished. Foundation, the bare wooden walls, the electric, A/C, gas lines and more, then the drywall, and ... well the list is long and I found some errors and I took photos and the builder fixed them before the next step. One year later the only issue was one floor tile that cracked and they replaced it. This was done a few years back. No problems since. If you can't go yourself or if you have minimal knowledge use an inspector. having them inspect after the build is finished, will not reveal some of the very observable issues I saw.
Exactly what I would do! If I were to visit the site once a week to check on things, is that frowned upon? Also, do they give you a detailed timeline of when things will be installed/constructed? (That way you prioritize inspections)

Old 12-13-2020, 03:35 PM

2,209 posts, read 1,783,641 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by usklx View Post
Exactly what I would do! If I were to visit the site once a week to check on things, is that frowned upon? Also, do they give you a detailed timeline of when things will be installed/constructed? (That way you prioritize inspections)
I kept in touch with the sales agent I worked with, that worked for the builder, and she let me know when each section was done.

Old 12-13-2020, 03:59 PM

65 posts, read 103,107 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Racer46 View Post
I kept in touch with the sales agent I worked with, that worked for the builder, and she let me know when each section was done.
Thanks

Old 12-13-2020, 04:18 PM

13 posts, read 37,290 times
Quote:
Yes we want to use our own as well. How did you know when to hire one? Does the builder let you know when they are installing things like electrical and plumbing (what we are worried about the most bc that’s Where the most complaints were when we read reviews). The reviews We read were not with this builder specifically but with new construction homes overall.

How many times did your inspector go out?

Ours was a "move in ready" taylor morrison house so we hired a highly reviewed inspector to do a detailed review and report of the house. I'm not sure how much it makes sense to have an inspector review each time a portion of a house is built before it is ready, especially if the home builder is a good brand and provides a fit and finish warranty anyway. I'm sure an inspector can find some issues during each portion, but the builder has their own inspector for that and a home isn't really ready until the builder says it's ready. It seems like overkill but if you have the money to do it I guess it makes sense.

Old 12-27-2020, 03:08 PM

18 posts, read 38,319 times
Wow I didn't realize this thread became so active, I haven't been on here since I moved in. Sorry to those who PM'd me and didn't get a response, the notifications go to my "spam" e-mail which I don't check very often.

So I'm the first resident who moved into the Dorado community back in mid May. I'm pretty happy overall with my purchase. The location is freakin awesome (freeways and shopping are extremely close) and the smell from the cow farms isn't as bad here as other areas that are more north or west of us, although we still get it at night from time to time. I've been fortunate enough to run into minimal issues with build quality (couple paint cracks forming near window corners, heater went out last month, garage door went nuts after a couple months) and and all were corrected in prompt order by contacting either the builder or the contractor listed in our welcome book. I did hear from a couple neighbors who weren't as fortunate and have had more serious problems but I think those are getting worked out too. Nothing atypical of a new build, nothing ever comes out perfectly. My biggest annoyance was with the HOA management company, who was impossible to contact when we first moved in. I couldn't get approval to start on my yard for months. But things are getting better now, and neighborhood reps are going to be voted in next month to take control. The houses have been selling surprisingly well (think they're selling phase 7 or 8 out of 10 at the moment). They're also going to break ground on building condos on the next lot east of us soon (called Ventana). It's hard to beat the value you get here versus the other communities nearby I checked out.

If you still need a referral, let me know!

Old 12-30-2020, 06:35 AM

31 posts, read 74,225 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chasemytesla View Post
Wow I didn't realize this thread became so active, I haven't been on here since I moved in. Sorry to those who PM'd me and didn't get a response, the notifications go to my "spam" e-mail which I don't check very often.

So I'm the first resident who moved into the Dorado community back in mid May. I'm pretty happy overall with my purchase. The location is freakin awesome (freeways and shopping are extremely close) and the smell from the cow farms isn't as bad here as other areas that are more north or west of us, although we still get it at night from time to time. I've been fortunate enough to run into minimal issues with build quality (couple paint cracks forming near window corners, heater went out last month, garage door went nuts after a couple months) and and all were corrected in prompt order by contacting either the builder or the contractor listed in our welcome book. I did hear from a couple neighbors who weren't as fortunate and have had more serious problems but I think those are getting worked out too. Nothing atypical of a new build, nothing ever comes out perfectly. My biggest annoyance was with the HOA management company, who was impossible to contact when we first moved in. I couldn't get approval to start on my yard for months. But things are getting better now, and neighborhood reps are going to be voted in next month to take control. The houses have been selling surprisingly well (think they're selling phase 7 or 8 out of 10 at the moment). They're also going to break ground on building condos on the next lot east of us soon (called Ventana). It's hard to beat the value you get here versus the other communities nearby I checked out.

If you still need a referral, let me know!
Quick question. What size is the garage? Is it the standard 24v24 or smaller? I noticed many new builds have small garages. Thanks!

Old 12-30-2020, 05:32 PM

18 posts, read 38,319 times
Quote:
Quick question. What size is the garage? Is it the standard 24v24 or smaller? I noticed many new builds have small garages. Thanks!
Good question. I actually went and measured it just now. It's 20x20. It did feel ever so slightly smaller to me and now I know why lol. Doesn't bother me yet, we don't have much in our garage. But now that I'm building my gym in there, wish I had that extra space!

Granted I'm in model 1. I can't say whether the garages are larger for the two bigger models.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties