Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-12-2019, 11:16 PM

15 posts, read 8,793 times

Advertisements

This was originally meant to be a PM to @TacoSoup - not sure if I can tag him hahah but it wouldn't let me PM anyone as I just signed up so anyone's opinions welcomed. I noticed @TacoSoup mentioning running springs in some old threads.

I am a 30yo female artist looking for a place to call my own with room for an art studio (could just be a converted room or garage). My dad would help me with the place (he lives here in OC), although he's aging. I love to snowboard. I currently live in OC and have lived in DTLA. I just need to be closer to nature and boarding now as I got my first Ikon pass!

Was curious what you thought of these places. I've never dealt with living in snow before but am up for learning. I did see you mention something about long driveways tho so..

I value privacy and nearby hiking trails. I want to be able to head down for a weekend in OC or LA once in a while for concerts.

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...17373873_zpid/

and

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/2...17374507_zpid/

Thank you so much
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-13-2019, 10:27 AM

3,416 posts, read 2,457,910 times
Hey Staralfur44,

Wow, both those houses are beautiful, and huge! Are you planning on having lots of friends and family visit, do you really need all that room? Either way, I’m heading up there tomorrow for the weekend and could easily drive by both to take a quick look and give you my thoughts, at least on getting to them and the driveway situation.

Just taking a quick look at the links the first one will give you killers views and city lights at night, but you’re right above the 330 so there will be traffic noise. I remember Old City Rd having a lot of sloped driveways too when looking for our place, and I think they might be trying to hide that in one of the pictures. The second house seems to have a relatively flat driveway and garage. While I have a flat driveway, I’m so envious of my neighbors garage. That’s the one thing I’d do different. You won’t have the views the other one has though. While it’s not always the case, both houses are below the 18, and they usually tend to have more issues during the snow as many of the roads are pitched and traction can be tough, just something to consider.

A good friend from LA has had a place there for years, in fact his sister raised her kids up there, and he taught me a lot. He’s actually gonna be moving up there full time soon and is realtor so I can put you in contact with him if this is something you really want to do. He knows, as do I now, all the reputable contractors contractors as well.

Living in the snow will take some getting used to, but it’s the fog that’s more nerve racking because that’s year round. If you have 4x4 or AWD with decent tires you’ll be fine. Most of my neighbors are full time residents and some only have 2WD and they manage, but they don’t have to go down the hill on a regular basis so they can stay in during a storm until the roads are plowed, something which they’re pretty good about. It’s the berm left behind after the plow goes by blocking your driveway that the issue. The same can be said about the fog. If you don’t have to be at a job and can just stay in it’s a non factor.

I can go into details on countless other topics/issues, but will save that for after I go see the properties and send you a message directly.

Old 06-13-2019, 12:40 PM

TacoSoup thank you so much! There are some smaller properties I am eyeing as well. I do have a lot of friends in LA who would love to come up and stay though so big is nice xD. Some of the smaller ones are so close to neighbors though, that's my main issue - i get uncomfortable seeing my neighbors etc I like to be in a cocoon lol. And yeah those might be a little too big but the views on both are amazing, I'd use the "game" room on the first one for my art and possibly the concrete one on the 2nd. If I wanted to convert a garage into an art studio, would the car be okay outside in the snow? haha idk.

Old 06-13-2019, 02:12 PM

Here is a smaller place I like, I just don't like the proximity to the neighbors. https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/3...17373076_zpid/

This one too, I just wish it had a bathtub!

https://www.zillow.com/homedetails/1...84036022_zpid/

Old 06-13-2019, 04:48 PM

btw what's the deal with urls on here, it always edits it to add the url tags but never seems to make it clickable for me

Old 06-13-2019, 05:39 PM

To clarify, what's good is a flat driveway, not one that goes down or up? I don't think you necessarily have to check them out for me, haha that's so sweet! For example I can tell this house on rim of the world drive it slopes down...I really like the privacy of this place tho.

https://www.google.com/maps/place/25...4d-117.1212474

Old 06-13-2019, 07:56 PM

3,360 posts, read 8,390,106 times
Choose Lake Arrowhead, not Running Springs. Trust me, I've lived in both places.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by staralfur44 View Post
TacoSoup thank you so much! There are some smaller properties I am eyeing as well. I do have a lot of friends in LA who would love to come up and stay though so big is nice xD. Some of the smaller ones are so close to neighbors though, that's my main issue - i get uncomfortable seeing my neighbors etc I like to be in a cocoon lol. And yeah those might be a little too big but the views on both are amazing, I'd use the "game" room on the first one for my art and possibly the concrete one on the 2nd. If I wanted to convert a garage into an art studio, would the car be okay outside in the snow? haha idk.
If you have a garage you’d want to take advantage of it with parking your car in it. Also most would probably be very chilly and not too comfortable to work in during the winter.

I’m heading up shortly and really don’t mind swinging by the two places, it’ll seriously take me an extra five minutes. Besides that, my wife and I like to drive around looking at the different houses/neighborhoods.

As for the driveway situation you asked about in your next post, I highly advise not to underestimate the importance of slope and size. Keep in mind unless you’re hiring a service, which won’t always be at your beck and call, you’re the one shoveling and/or plowing it. Too great a slope is gonna be a nightmare, especially with your guests that don’t have AWD and/or not comfortable with snow during the in the winter. Most are no picnics in the summer either. I see many houses that sit vacant all winter just to end up back on the market after a year or two since I’ve been following the market up there. This was the first thing pointed out by my realtor friend, and it’s true how uncanny it is. A few of the houses I speak of were some we considered putting offers in on because of the views. Looking back now I’m so glad we didn’t.

Places are always coming on the market and you’ll find the right place, hopefully one of these two are it.

Old 06-14-2019, 11:16 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ulysses61 View Post
Choose Lake Arrowhead, not Running Springs. Trust me, I've lived in both places.
While Lake Arrowhead, on a whole, is the nicest of all the mountain communities, it’s not the end all be all. The OP is an avid boarder, and Lake Arrowhead is a bit of a hike to Big Bear. Not too bad to Snow Valley, but obviously Running Springs has it beat in this department. It would get old living in the mountains and still having to drive an hour, assuming there’s no snow traffic, to get to Bear/Summit. Besides that, you’re not gonna find a place that has city lights, Mt. Baldy, DTLA, and ocean views like she’s looking at in Lake Arrowhead. Running Springs is the place if you want those views.

Old 06-14-2019, 10:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TacoSoup View Post
While Lake Arrowhead, on a whole, is the nicest of all the mountain communities, it’s not the end all be all. The OP is an avid boarder, and Lake Arrowhead is a bit of a hike to Big Bear. Not too bad to Snow Valley, but obviously Running Springs has it beat in this department. It would get old living in the mountains and still having to drive an hour, assuming there’s no snow traffic, to get to Bear/Summit. Besides that, you’re not gonna find a place that has city lights, Mt. Baldy, DTLA, and ocean views like she’s looking at in Lake Arrowhead. Running Springs is the place if you want those views.
This haha. I want to be close to boarding.

Thank you so much for your advice TacoSoup, you certainly are the one to go to about Running Springs, lol.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties