Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-17-2008, 09:32 AM

961 posts, read 2,565,523 times

Advertisements

We recently relocated from Northern CA to the La Quinta. We considered Chicago since all of our family is in Michigan, but we really felt drawn to the desert mostly because of the scenery, architecture (mid century modern) and warm nights. We've been here for 5 weeks and I'm already starting to wonder if we may have made a big mistake bringing our kids here to live. I drove by an elementary school and the kids were outside playing in 102 degree heat! It just doesn't seem ideal for kids. I know the cold temperatures of Chicago in the winter are less than ideal as well, but for goodness sakes, they don't send the kids out to play in the freezing cold! I am thinking it might be the better place to raise my girls, but I LOVE California. We have lived in San Diego for 10 years (too crowded now) and the Bay area for 3.

Has anyone lived in both places and be able to comment / offer advice?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2008, 01:02 PM

683 posts, read 4,615,888 times
I've lived in both places (living in Chicago now) and I am a teacher...I taught in Riverside and there was a rule that the kids would not go out to play when the temp hit 100...the district made this rule and would notify each school beforehand. You may want to check in with the district and see if they have any policies on that.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:20 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
nice weather, good schools, not crowded, all the ammenities....San Luis Obispo County. The coastal communties are very nice, moderate weather year round. Paso Robles and Atascadero can reach the 100's during the summer, but it's not as bad as the desert. Paso Robles and San miguel do get hot, don't get me wrong. Paso Robles can get as hot as anywhere, I just don't think it is as often as the desert. Cambria to Nipomo (coastal), even Santa Maria (temperate), may be what you are looking for.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:22 PM

1,634 posts, read 6,717,152 times
Incedently, I have a friend who lives in Atascadero, originally from Chicago. He said there is no way he would leave SLO County, maybe only if his house isn't paid when he retires.

Old 05-17-2008, 01:50 PM

MEL2882: Do you prefer Chicago to Riverside? If so, why? If not, why not? Do you mind if I ask whether or not you have children? Where do you feel is the better place to raise them. We grew up in Michigan and the winters were awful, the summers were humid and the mosquitos would eat you alive if you were outside (especially in the evenings). My husband and I moved to CA when we were 19 and it has been home ever since. I just wonder if it wouldn't be better for my girls to grow up in the Midwest closer to family. We're extremely liberal and having the girls grow up near other like minded people is very important to us. I don't think we're going to find as much of that in the Midwest as in CA, but then again, the desert is quite conservative because there is a lot of money here.

CA central coast: We actually checked out SLO and while it was nice, it just didn't feel like the place we wanted to live. There just isn't enough culture and the large student population tends to to have a negative impact on the housing with regards to not having pride of ownership and therefore letting the houses go. We lived in Santa Cruz which has the same issues. DH felt like the hippie vibe was just too over the top there. We're hippies when it comes to politics and the causes we feel passionately about, but we're the clean well dressed type.

Old 05-17-2008, 06:29 PM

26,719 posts, read 26,782,723 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jaynetarzana View Post
Do you prefer Chicago to Riverside?
I don't think they can be compared. If you were contemplating Kenilworth and Evanston, IL, are originally from Michigan, and find the desert too conservative, you would undoubtedly find Riverside not very stimulating, to say the least. That must be quite a transition you are making to LaQuinta, especially with small children. It's beautiful there but I have only visited while on vacation.

Old 05-19-2008, 08:52 PM

I definitely prefer Chicago to Riverside, which is why I moved, however I grew up in California and love most parts of it. I do not have kids, but I would say that there are parts of either place that would be fine. In Chicago, it greatly depends on where you are. There are so many neighborhoods that are vastly different from each other. Yes, there are a lot that would be great for raising kids. There are also parts of Riverside and La Quinta area that would be the same. Although I am not one myself, I know a lot of liberal people from both places, but I don't know the statistics. I would say that again, that would depend on the area you moved to.

Old 05-19-2008, 09:04 PM

Default Moving to Chicago

We've decided to move to Chicago. but we need help narrowing down the suburbs. We need to be north since DH will be working in Mettawa. Do you have any insights for us?

Old 05-20-2008, 09:12 PM

Sorry, I don't know much about Chicago suburbs since I live in the city...try posting in that section though (maybe you already have).

Old 05-21-2008, 06:00 AM

12 posts, read 35,497 times
I grew up in Orange Co (not the desert, although I have been here and my sister is still in Moreno Valley....not exactly desert but still not OC) and have lived in n/w Chicago suburbs (Elgin - where condensed milk was invented and Elgin watches were made whoppdeedoo) for about 20 years. I have four kids - having grown up in S. Ca. and raised kids here I would say that here is better. You adapt to the winter pretty fast, and playing in snow is fun! The key is to live near a Metra station for train rides into the city for museums etc. Chicago is great for walking around and doing stuff with kids while leaving the car at home!
And - it is far, FAR cheaper here. Warning - humidity in summer can be nasty if you do not have central air. At least where youa re is dry heat, right? I HATE humidity.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties