Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-26-2008, 11:45 PM

1 posts, read 2,546 times

Advertisements

I am taking a job in Riverside, CA and wanted to possibly live in Oceanside....any comments in regards to the commute? I currently am on the road for 1 hour each way due to traffic, so a little travel would be okay....would like to find a great place to raise children...10 year old & soon another child soon to be 5. We have also considered Temecula as well. I would love any comments or recommendations...we would like to rent for now to figure where we would like to purchase...as we currently are selling 0ur home in Roseville. We will be flying to Ontario and staying in the San Diego, Oceanside, etc areas... would love to hear from anyone within the next couple of weeks to check out the areas
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-26-2008, 11:59 PM

11,715 posts, read 40,455,391 times
Well Oceanside to Riverside is only 81 miles through some of the most congested freeways in the country. Unless you ONLY need to drive in the middle of the night, I can't think of a commute that would be much worse. Temecula looks a lot easier.

Old 05-27-2008, 12:02 AM

1,061 posts, read 3,583,804 times
We have lived in Oceanside and are currently living in Temecula, so I hope I can give you some good input . For commute and time spent on the road vs. time spent enjoying the fruits of your labor, Temecula would be the obvious choice here. The number of miles between here and O-side isn't all that much, but there's no easy way to get from there to here, so traffic will definitely slow you down. The Temecula schools are also very highly rated, and so far we have had great luck with our children going to the public schools here. I never had to do that sort of research for Oceanside, but I know that there are more "rough" areas of O-side than Temecula, since my husband used to be a police officer there.

As for living the So-cal lifestyle, if you can afford to live in the Rancho Del Oro area of Oceanside, then you can hop to the beach every weekend while living in a safe beautiful neighborhood, but in my experience, it stops being all that exciting and life is life no matter where you are. You'll definitely have easier access to S.D. and L.A. if you live in Oceanside and the weather can't be beat, but there is less of a 'family' atmosphere. Temecula is extremely family oriented!

Anyway, I don't know what the O-side housing market is like right now, but you can definitely find some great deals in Temecula right now (like $110 - $120 per sq. ft....low for socal!) in some really beautiful neighborhoods. Hope this helps a little and good luck!

Old 05-27-2008, 02:49 AM

3,113 posts, read 8,380,507 times
Temecula to Riverside is an acceptable commute - it's a long way, but it's not too bad.

But driving from Oceanside to Riverside everyday would be way too much for most people! The most obvious route would be to go through Temecula, and you'd probably wonder why you didn't buy there instead, as you passed through each day.

The only way I would consider living in Oceanside and working in Riverside, is if I bought a house a few blocks from the beach and close to the Metrolink station, and then took the train to downtown Riverside. Of course that only works, if your job is downtown.

It's about $24 for a round trip ticket, which is considerably less than driving, and the train is nice. It's mostly business people who take it during rush hour. There are also monthly passes.
Metrolink Weekends - Lines
Metrolink :: Inland Empire-Orange County Line

Old 05-28-2008, 10:28 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Are you nuts? Riverside is at least 40 minutes from Temecula or 1 hr 15 minutes from Oceanside (each way). These are the options you are giving yourself? There are perfectly fine places to live IN or near Riverside, closer to your job. Doesn't make much sense to live near the beach when you have to spend at least 2 1/2 hours each day to get to work and back home from it--more time that could be spent with the kids You could alternatively find a Temecula style neighborhood at Temecula prices in or near Riverside as well, sans the long commute.

Old 05-28-2008, 01:01 PM

11 posts, read 35,059 times
OHG, I commute 19 miles (Riverside to Rialto) and my poor husband used to drive to Huntington Beach (he's now in Denver waiting for me) and all I can say is that you are crazy to even think about tackling that 15 freeway mess. If you can't live within 15 miles of your job, think twice!!! You will learn to dislike it here in a hurry and will probably be following me to Colorado!

Old 06-11-2008, 10:35 PM

4 posts, read 10,168 times
All I can say is don't move to Riverside, smog, graffiti, nothing to do. Temecula is much better...

Old 06-12-2008, 07:39 PM

365 posts, read 1,419,528 times
Temecula or go to Lake Elsinore. It's not Folsom Lake, but are hot and fun. You wouldn't notice too much change between the two. I like the Rocklin, Citrus Heights, Roseville area, and don't think you'll notice the difference except a more small town feel

Old 06-14-2008, 12:27 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,944,218 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jstavoice View Post
All I can say is don't move to Riverside, smog, graffiti, nothing to do. Temecula is much better...
The rest of Southern California doesn't have smog and graffiti? The OP would be breathing Riverside's air during his/her workday any way. And last I knew a little paint on walls never physically harmed anybody.

What is there to do in Temecula that can't be done in Riverside?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties