Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-28-2008, 10:13 AM

2 posts, read 4,166 times

Advertisements

Hey guys, I'm 19 years old and Live in southern NH. I've lived most of my life in Massachusetts and NH, and have so many family and friends here. I've traveled around the world and absolutely love Japan, and Europe. I also graduated high school last June, and took a semester off to make some money, and really figure out where I want to go. I was going to attend Keene State College in NH, but due to a recent heartbreak I figured that may not be the best idea. I've applied to Cal State LA, and Cal State San Bernardino, which both seem like excellent schools. But may be on the expensive side for an out of state, going for all four years. My first question is If I attend CSUSB will I get residency after I've been attending for a year? Or should I move out to somewhere in California for a year, gain residency, and then begin school next year? Or Can I move out there this November and live and work there until next fall and attend college, and still gain my residency 1 year from when I moved to California? Also what are the best places to move to? I don't mind the crime rates, I'm not a racist, I can really adjust to anything. I am a cook at an Italian restaurant, and a waiter, What are the job situations like? Any recommendations? I'm just so sick of the same old limitations in NH, and being bored. I just feel like theres so much out there that I'm ready for. Thanks in advance for you help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-02-2008, 09:20 AM

43 posts, read 243,721 times
Move here first. Bum around for a year. Then apply as a resident.

I grew up in Hanover. Our family moved to California when I was in high school for the schools. Went to UCSD and SDSU and finished a Master's for less than the cost of one year at an Ivy League!

Old 09-18-2012, 10:33 AM

341 posts, read 708,756 times
You may be finished w school by now but here's what I would have done: live in Ca first to get residency status. I don't believe the colleges here consider you a resident after attending one year. They used to but not anymore. Forget the Cal states. You're Much better off w a degree from a UC in the long run. Do a two year community or jr college then transfer to a UC. You will save lots unless you want the full college experience then bite the bullet and attend all 4yr at a UC. A lot of Ca ppl r moving to NH u know. It's a shame tuitiOn has gone up so much recently and the students r paying for it. As usual, if the ones in power and w all the $ get in trouble and need a 'bailiout', leave it to the poor middle class students to pick up the slack.

Old 09-18-2012, 11:19 AM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
Establishing residency for someone your age who is planning to attend college is not very easy.

"To be considered a California resident for purposes of fees, an out-of-state student must have lived in California for more than one year preceding the residence determination date, relinquish residence in other states, show an intent to establish residency in California and demonstrate financial independence. Unmarried undergraduates from other states qualify as financially independent if they were not claimed by their parents or others as dependents for tax purposes for two preceding tax years and if their annual income is sufficient to meet their needs."

Becoming a California Resident? - College Confidential

Old 09-18-2012, 11:32 AM

341 posts, read 708,756 times
I can see the popularity in the CA ----> NH migration these days. NH has no income or sales tax, consistently ranks low in overall national tax burden, safe, four seasons, progressive, limited state govt interference, proximity to the Boston metro economy if in Southern NH. But take it from someone who's lived all over the country, there's no substitute for Ca living. I think a good number of those who have left Ca for one reason or another may agree.

Old 09-18-2012, 01:37 PM

1,626 posts, read 4,015,084 times
I didn't notice you bumped a 4 year old thread before I responded...

Old 09-18-2012, 04:18 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,950,586 times
And the OP hasn't been back to the site since posting the topic.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties