Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-10-2009, 04:25 PM

7 posts, read 37,704 times

Advertisements

Hi,

Ok, so I just got my mortgage statement and it shows that my impound account will require additional funds to cover the increase in property taxes to the tune of roughly 1200.00 more a year.

Although, home values (comps) in recent sales have fallen to a point where I find myself -200,000 in the hole and falling.

Should I be calling the County Assessor to have my property assessed or should I spend the extra dollar to find a good lawyer that can help in reducing my property tax?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-10-2009, 05:08 PM

28,115 posts, read 63,709,611 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunking View Post
Hi,

Ok, so I just got my mortgage statement and it shows that my impound account will require additional funds to cover the increase in property taxes to the tune of roughly 1200.00 more a year.

Although, home values (comps) in recent sales have fallen to a point where I find myself -200,000 in the hole and falling.

Should I be calling the County Assessor to have my property assessed or should I spend the extra dollar to find a good lawyer that can help in reducing my property tax?
Why not go online to your county Tax Assessor and download the appeal info to start?

Fill out the form listing the 3 lowest selling prices for homes like yours in your neighborhood.

I hear it can now take a year or more for appeals to be processed... there is no incentive for the county to speed up the process...

Old 02-10-2009, 05:10 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,055,119 times
I think you can reduce your property tax yourself without a lawyer. We did. All you need are two or three comps from a real estate broker of the most recent sales in your neighborhood. The county tax collector has a form you fill out and attach the comps to. They will let you know. We are in Riverside county and we had our property tax reduced.

Old 02-10-2009, 05:17 PM

1,458 posts, read 3,285,369 times
Default Prop 8

Quote:
Originally Posted by thesunking View Post
Hi,

Hi thesunking,
I would see if I can get the value re-assessed. According to Prop 8, if the value of your home falls bellow your Prop 13 Factored Base Year Value + 2%/year (ie, valued bellow what you paid) ... then you are allowed to have your property reassessed back towards market value Jan 1st of tax year.

Check out these links:

Riverside County:
Information &#149 Assessment & Property Tax • Riverside County Assessor-County Clerk-Recorder California (http://riverside.asrclkrec.com/ACR/INProp8.asp - broken link)

San Bernardino County:
Assessor - Review Due to Decline in Value Facts

hope this helps
-chuck22b

Old 02-10-2009, 10:26 PM

7 posts, read 37,704 times
Hi,

Many thanks to all, filled out the online application for Prop 8 at San Bernardino's website.

It appears that it will be a slow process and I'll choose to pay the additional funds up front to keep my mortgage note the same with out a increase.

Gotta luv it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties