Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 01:13 PM

1,714 posts, read 3,851,293 times

Advertisements

I've always thought that whole eastern stretch of Pearblossom Hwy / Palmdale Rd in the Antelope Valley is very surreal--very desolate looking.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-03-2013, 09:14 PM

2,482 posts, read 6,530,974 times
The high desert is not as fancy as one might think. I grew up there in the late 80 s through 2005. People rave its a safe place to raise your kids! That statement is further from the truth. Don't get me wrong it has grown there Pinon HillPhelan Oak Hills El Mirage Hesperia Victorville.....its not the same any more all the rat race move up from down the hill. I remember when Phelan had a stop sign at the corner where AmPm and circle k is now (k was there first) and the lot where staters and rite aid was a dirt field. And our only grocery store was sunshine market. Boy those were the good old days. Back to raising kids there...every place has good and bad about it. Phelan and Pinon Hills is boring....what do kids do when they are board......99.99% of the time something they are not suppose to do. I vowed not to raise my child there. Sorry...I know good and bad is in every city or town across America but I know first hand what Pinon Hills and Phelan offer kids.

Old 01-03-2013, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by genjy View Post
I've always thought that whole eastern stretch of Pearblossom Hwy / Palmdale Rd in the Antelope Valley is very surreal--very desolate looking.
It is...its creepy driving it at night or alone anytime

Old 01-03-2013, 09:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deserttech View Post
Its not all peaches and cream. The high desert crime is getting really bad, and the schools are getting worse. In phelan or Pinon Hills you or your kids will still go to the Victorville mall and its turning ghetto. I grew up here it was awesome , but now that its my kids turn things aren't the same. We are looking into other states.

P.S. cops just located 502 mj plants in Pinon Hills
Only 502......shoot that is nothing

Old 01-04-2013, 10:04 PM

70 posts, read 86,929 times
Not that it matters one iota but Pinon Hills is located on the dry side of the San Gabriel Mountains north of the Angeles National Forest, not the Los Padres N.F. as stated in the original post.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:00 PM

277 posts, read 626,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Phelan and Pinon Hills is boring....what do kids do when they are board......99.99% of the time something they are not suppose to do. I vowed not to raise my child there. Sorry...I know good and bad is in every city or town across America but I know first hand what Pinon Hills and Phelan offer kids.
What do you mean there is nothing to do here? Most people here have large lots so it is like every yard is a park, you have a ski resort in Wrightwood, many people own off road vehicles or dirt bikes and you can have horses here. We may not have a mall right in the middle of the area but then again that is fine by me.

I lived in areas with far less and I could always to find something to do when I was a kid, being bored here is your own choice. If you said that jobs were hard to find around here without a long drive I would agree.

Old 01-06-2013, 08:13 PM

Not everyone that has acres of land can afford Atvs, horses or gear to go snowboarding. And if were fortunate to have all these things to do or go....you could only do it for so long. I lived in Phelan for 12 years. Pinon Hills for two years. Hesperia for eight years. Still own property in Pinon Hills and Adelanto. Worked in Adelanto at a mfg and also worked at Goodyear in Victorville.Went to VVC and got my AS in Science. I hope the HD is everything you and your family are looking for.Enjoy

Old 01-06-2013, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LQQKOUT View Post
Not everyone that has acres of land can afford Atvs, horses or gear to go snowboarding. And if were fortunate to have all these things to do or go....you could only do it for so long.
True but I didn't have that either growing up, we used to go to the park and play sports, if your yard is big you have your own park.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:40 PM

4 posts, read 11,298 times
I like the whole area however, I live in Wrightwood. Just today we drove out to Helendale (silver lakes). I kind of like it out there. The lake is beautiful and I imagine if you have a house on the lake the evenings would be beautiful with the lights reflecting off of it. I do like Wrightwood. I've been here for six months and actually love it.

Old 01-10-2013, 10:06 AM

The only reason I didn't buy a house in Wrightwood was because the roads could be very bad after a heavy snow and I worked in Orange County. Lots of Idiots on 138 and 2 during ski season, it is snowing here now so you may get a good snow in Wrightwood today.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties