Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 08:23 AM

5 posts, read 61,191 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,

My name is Walt, my wife and I, are moving to the Palm Springs area in early April. I will be working in Rancho Mirage. We are mid-life health care workers.

I would like any info you may have as to the good and bad of the area, Where not to live or go. And of course where to eat! And any advise on things to do, as well as, tips on desert living.

Thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-18-2007, 03:31 PM

19 posts, read 168,766 times
Smile Living in Palm Springs

Hi Walt - I lived in the desert (Palm Desert, Palm Springs, Brumuda Dunes -cities in the Coachella Valley) ... I even lived in Desert Hot Springs at one time and it was all nice -except it was too hot in the summer (the weather the rest of the years was manificant! Nice, slightly warm eveninings... so very beatiful). I lived there for 7 years so I was able to take the heat for summers for awhile. (protect your skin and your wifes with sun protection) Have a car with air conditioning of course. There are some strong winds (sometimes) in Palm Springs when you drive off the freeway when you're dring into Palm Springs - it tunnels in between mountains. Go to the tram! It's so beautiful up there. I would go when it was over 100 degrees in the desert and it would very cold - snow, up there. It a must do! Horses, etc., creaks. There is hardly any crime in desert (as far I knew) I don't remember seeing people asking for money or anything either. I remember that Indio seemed less impressive and less expensive. I would not move there - it's completely different from Palm Springs, or Rancho Mirage. La Quinta is very nice. Palm Desert is nice. If you rent an apartment they'll have a nice pool, chacuzi, tennis courts, possibly even store in the middle - my apartment did. There are so, so many great restaraunts but I don't remember their names at the moment. There are some hidden restaurants in the up in Palm Spring where you have valet parking, and Rolls everywhere. The restaraunts are absolutely the best in Palm Springs. There is a very nice swap meet every weekend at College of the Desert - in Palm Desert. It's not like regular swap meets with tires and junck.. it much much much better - nicer things for people who live out and at reasonable prices. When it real hot go to the swap meet and buy hats, or hat with fans on the top of the hat or hats with misters to cool yourself off with. What else.. I can't think of anything else right now but if there is something else you need -reply to this message.

Old 03-18-2007, 06:55 PM

1 posts, read 34,455 times
Talking Desert Living

I've been in Palm Springs for 3 months now and have researched the area for relocation. Beware of the blazing sun for the summer, but the rest of the year is great. I recommend living in Palm Springs, Palm Desert, and Rancho Mirage. Cathedral City is affordable and lays between Palm springs and Palm Desert. I do not recommend anywhere north of I10. There are gangs, meth labs and lower socioeconomic people living there, AND it is cheap and hot to live there. These areas include Thousand Palms and Desert Hot Springs.
Tonnes of places to eat on Palm Canyon and Indian Canyon drive AND along Hwy 111. Try Manhanttan in the Desert.

PS

Old 03-18-2007, 07:51 PM

85 posts, read 644,284 times
Default Desert living

I'm just copying my own post from October here:

Palm Desert is not a bad place to live. It has the same boring chain stores and restaurants as any other place in USA, Inc. The crime rate is reasonably low and traffic is not too bad most of the time. Restaurants and stores can be a little crowded with all the seasonal visitors. I don't think there's any really bad neighborhoods in PD, but some older neighborhoods could use a little fixing up. The cost of housing is less than most places in CA, but higher than other places in the Coachella Valley. Car insurance and property taxes are about average. Actually, car insurance is probably lower than some more congested areas of CA. Utilities, however, are outrageously expensive. My summer cooling bill (for a much smaller than average home) can be more than $500 a month. (The last one was only $355.) SCE is a rip-off. People who live east of here are served by Imperial Irrigation District which charges about half what SCE does. I think Washington Street is the cutoff for SCE. That would put you in La Quinta. Also, for some reason gasoline prices here are ridiculous. When the news would show the allegedly highest price in the nation for gas, ours would always be higher than that.

The mountain views and the sky are stunningly beautiful here year round and the weather is now turning to bearable and even lovely. (We had quite a few days in the 120s this last summer and many weeks in the teens.)

I'll just add that Palm Springs, La Quinta, Rancho Mirage, Indian Wells, and Palm Desert are all okay cities to live in.

Old 03-29-2010, 10:14 PM

4 posts, read 42,505 times
80580 Tangelo CT, Indio, CA - MLS 21370102 - Estately (http://www.estately.com/listings/info/80580-tangelo-ct#listings/info/80580-tangelo-ct - broken link)

great area La Quinta Indio Boarder with many mc mansions to snatch up with upgrades, pools, etc for 375K-425K.

3 noteable Gated Communities all with beautiful homes.

Old 03-30-2010, 09:40 AM

130 posts, read 291,679 times
I like that estately site

Old 03-30-2010, 11:39 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,982,321 times
I think the crime rate in coachella Valley has actually risen. When we left, there were bank robberies, increased gang activity, etc. It`s not as safe as it use to be.

The Fish market is a great place to eat. They`ve got really good food...Yum

West Indio is nice but I wouldn`t go any further into Indio than that. The rest of Indio is a dive(and crime). Stay away from the La quinta Cove(as far as housing goes). There is a lot of drug activity around there and for the most part run down. Cathederal City is a dive(crime to).

Old 05-19-2010, 07:21 PM

1 posts, read 25,646 times
for the person who put down desert hot spring ,,,,, wherever you go ther will be gangs that what america is all about ,,,,dont put down any city for potentials movers,,, mind your own buseness and dont do any drugs respect them and they will respect you in return ,,,,, look at them like dog crap you will have regrets moving ther you may as well put your house for sale lol

Old 05-20-2010, 12:45 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,032,900 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bldiscountstore View Post
for the person who put down desert hot spring ,,,,, wherever you go ther will be gangs that what america is all about ,,,,dont put down any city for potentials movers,,, mind your own buseness and dont do any drugs respect them and they will respect you in return ,,,,, look at them like dog crap you will have regrets moving ther you may as well put your house for sale lol
Where's the English translation?

Old 07-23-2010, 07:44 PM

1 posts, read 24,639 times
How about Thousand Palms? I don't see anything about that area and it seems to have some nice high-end homes there with a little land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties