Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 10:54 PM

214 posts, read 1,084,064 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
I need to ask you one question before I reply to your post. where did you grow up?
I grew up in Carson, with some time in Mission Viejo here and there.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-27-2009, 11:43 PM

3,532 posts, read 6,423,489 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
I grew up in Carson, with some time in Mission Viejo here and there.
Bingo. You grew up in a city right next to Compton where I grew up. what's so funny is the fact that I went to Compton High school with kids who lived in Stevenson Village, across the 91fwy in Carson but prided themselves on the fact that Carson is a better town than Compton. It got to the point that us poor Compton kids just ignored them because to be honest, many people who heard of Carson were afriad to go there as well because it was right next to Compton--and i got a big kick out of that when I found that out when I was in high school. Then I found out that Carson was built for blacks to move to in the 1960s (I forgot who told me that but I was shocked when I found that out), because they didnt want blacks moving to Orange County, Torrance, or the South Bay areas. Nice dialoguing with you.

Old 04-28-2009, 09:53 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eclipxe View Post
Yes, I was *perfectly* aware that Moreno Valley has a larger population than Temecula. So does Santa Ana, LA and New York City. That doesn't change the fact that those cities are also depressing to *me*. I didn't say it was depressing to the 170k+ folks that call it home. However, I think if you do a poll of residents in Moreno Valley, the majority would choose to live elsewhere if they could. This is just anecdotal however, based on people I know that live there. Most folks *hate it*. Smog, crime, distance from everything, heat, etc. The city is also very "ugly". There is little natural beauty (IMHO) or attention to aesthetics in the design and planning of the city. I attribute much of this due to the way the city was formed - as a conglomeration of a few other cities. There is no cohesive master plan for the city or for neighborhoods and that leads to a detached, ad-hoc feel. That is depressing to me.
The city is actually very masterplanned. Actually, a survey concluded that the majority of residents would not move. As for smog, it's about average for SoCal, crime is about average, heat is about average, and distance is WAY closer to things than Temecula (esp. LA/OC).

What are you talking about no natural beauty? The city is surrounded by state and regional parks on three sides (Box Springs, Lake Perris, and Norton Younglove). As for the city being ugly, I personally feel that all new neighborhoods are ugly. They are tan boxes lacking indivduality. If that is beauty, we've got that in much of the town (Moreno Valley Ranch, Shadow Mountain, Stone Ridge Ranch...). We've also got great hillside ranches (Reche Canyon, Ironwood, much of Rancho Belago, Pigeon Pass).

The old townships were much like the way MOST SoCal cities were formed.

The main thing is that there needs to be more of an emphasis of linking up to it's biggest asset, the fact that downtown Moreno Valley is closer to UCR than downtown Riverside is to UCR (roughly 3 miles compared to 5/6 miles). The fact that Moreno Valley is VERY close to one of California's fastest growing universities can bring about change in the city, if city officials realize it's potential.

I think that there are great things about the city. However, like most cities approaching 200k people, there are bad things. It's a very average city...

Old 04-28-2009, 05:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
The city is actually very masterplanned. Actually, a survey concluded that the majority of residents would not move. As for smog, it's about average for SoCal, crime is about average, heat is about average, and distance is WAY closer to things than Temecula (esp. LA/OC).

What are you talking about no natural beauty? The city is surrounded by state and regional parks on three sides (Box Springs, Lake Perris, and Norton Younglove). As for the city being ugly, I personally feel that all new neighborhoods are ugly. They are tan boxes lacking indivduality. If that is beauty, we've got that in much of the town (Moreno Valley Ranch, Shadow Mountain, Stone Ridge Ranch...). We've also got great hillside ranches (Reche Canyon, Ironwood, much of Rancho Belago, Pigeon Pass).

The main thing is that there needs to be more of an emphasis of linking up to it's biggest asset, the fact that downtown Moreno Valley is closer to UCR than downtown Riverside is to UCR (roughly 3 miles compared to 5/6 miles). The fact that Moreno Valley is VERY close to one of California's fastest growing universities can bring about change in the city, if city officials realize it's potential.

I think that there are great things about the city. However, like most cities approaching 200k people, there are bad things. It's a very average city...
When you compare Moreno Valley to Lake Elsinore, Rialto, Pomona, , in my opinion none of those towns which are about the same size as moval (give or take Pomona) have as MANY nice master planned sub divisions (Moval Ranch, Sunny Mead Ranch, Towngate 3 prestigious neighborhoods) overall, nor nice mall with a Macys, JcPenny, SEARs, restaurants (olive garden, mimis cafe, Bj's, El Torito), auto mall, two home depots, two walmarts, LOWES than moreno valley.I also read in the PRess Enterprise a few years ago that Moval had a larger number of people who's incomes exceeding 50,000 than Redlands, and Redlands is supposed to be nicer than Moval. I have always judged a city's progress and prestige on the type of shopping centers the city has, with the type of stores that are doing buisiness there, and Moval hands down has better shopping centers than many inland empire cities if not being ranked behind Temecula. Murrieta doesn't have a mall, Hemet's mall isn't that grand, Pomona, Rialto and Lake Elsinore don't have malls either.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:16 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,906,380 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by antredd View Post
When you compare Moreno Valley to Lake Elsinore, Rialto, Pomona, , in my opinion none of those towns which are about the same size as moval (give or take Pomona) have as MANY nice master planned sub divisions (Moval Ranch, Sunny Mead Ranch, Towngate 3 prestigious neighborhoods) overall, nor nice mall with a Macys, JcPenny, SEARs, restaurants (olive garden, mimis cafe, Bj's, El Torito, auto mall, two home depots, two walmarts, LOWES than moreno valley.
Also Hidden Springs, Shadow Mountian, Four Seasons, StoneRidge Ranch, Box Springs (in terms of master planned communities). There are a lot.

Old 04-28-2009, 05:52 PM

Quote:
Also Hidden Springs, Shadow Mountian, Four Seasons, StoneRidge Ranch, Box Springs (in terms of master planned communities). There are a lot.
Thanks for adding those other neighborhoods. I lived in Moreno Valley Ranch for about 16 months April 2003 to September 2004, and then we moved to Menifee. I was very pleased with that area. But my wife and I liked how our house doubled in value during that short time, so we took that opportunity and money and traded up to a larger home in Menifee.

Old 04-29-2009, 09:24 AM

214 posts, read 1,084,064 times
Quote:

Thank you for that - I like hearing different opinions and you (and antredd) have both inspired me to go check out MoVal more and get a better feel for the city. I let my drives through specific areas and others opinions shape my view and I need to be a little more open minded and find out for myself.

Old 05-03-2009, 02:04 PM

2 posts, read 7,708 times
Hi. We're looking at houses in Sunnymead Ranch and have been interested in hearing what other people think of Moreno Valley. We've noticed some problems, but they're not unlike problems we've seen in other similar communities. We also like the demographics, believing that communities made up of all different kinds and colors are the best.

This has been very interesting to read.

Old 06-10-2009, 07:47 PM

13 posts, read 110,534 times
How is the area right around Ironwood Ave and Perris Blvd? Is this a good area? Thanks.

Old 06-11-2009, 12:10 AM

21 posts, read 65,791 times
Default Moreno Valley

Hi Jay,
Glad you're going to stop wasting your money on rent. It's a great time to buy. There a re tax credits and great home prices. I just sold a nice big home in Moreno Valley. MoVal has some nice areas with low prices. There are 2 areas that come to mind
Rancho Bellagio, it's a newer area with newer stores. It's near the golf course and hospital. Not too far from LAke Perris and the Community College. Many homes in the area belong to a great HOA with many activities. Pool, clubhouse and a man-mader lake with boats.I sell houses in MoVal. Let me know if you need an agent. Another area of Moreno Valey is Hidden Springs. It;s closer to the 60. Homes are a little older. Moderator cut: Realtor Ads aren't Allowed
Be glad to help you relocaste.
Good Luck!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by lvkewlkid; 06-11-2009 at 09:37 AM.. Reason: Realtor Ad
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties