Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider the I.E. a big Suburb of LA?
Yes 22 51.16%
No 21 48.84%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-31-2009, 04:51 PM

2,498 posts, read 11,449,847 times

Advertisements

29% of the Inland Empire works outside of Riverside or San Bernardino County. That is the HIGHEST rate of working outside a county in the ENTIRE country. I consider a suburb a bedroom community where people mianly live, but work in another area. No other area in the country has so many people doing a long distance commute. 15.8% of the Inland Empire works in Los Angeles County, 9.8% works in Orange County, and 3.4% works in San Diego County. Granted, most of the county doesn't work in Los Angeles but it is a signifigant number in my opinion that almost 2/5 residents in the Inland Empire are going to L.A., San Diego, or Orange County. To those of you who said the I.E. is totally sefl sufficient, tell that to the roughly 30% that need to drive to work in another county everyday. Why on earth do you think there is traffic on the 210, 60, 10 and 91 west in the morning and east in the evening??? Magic?

http://www.trpi.org/PDFs/IE.pdf
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-31-2009, 04:53 PM

8,545 posts, read 10,282,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ferretkona View Post
All you have to do is look at the 91 or the 60 in the morning to realize IE is part of LA.
Most of those commuters are probably not going into LA per se.most likely heading to OC..so maybe it a suburb of OC? No, IE is it's own place..nothing you need that you can't get here...or within a short distance unless you are going for a sporting event or whatever..

Old 05-31-2009, 04:54 PM

3,536 posts, read 5,914,627 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dweej View Post
sub⋅urb  [suhb-urb] Show IPA
–noun
1. a district lying immediately outside a city or town, esp. a smaller residential community.

The entire Inland Empire, including Riverside and San Bernardino Counties, does not lie immediately outside of LA nor is the entire region a small residential community. The perceived "reliance" on L.A. has nothing to do with whether or not hundreds of square miles totally unrelated to Los Angeles can be considered a single large suburb. It just means that L.A. is a really big, interesting city, and if you live close enough to drive there, you might wanna do it. I personally don't want to and never do, therefor there is no such "reliance" on my part.

In Urban Sociology one of the modern definitions of suburb is the relience of a larger community. This is even implied with your definition. Size really has little do to with it. Reliance and composition is more telling, not size. Plus, the IE is comprised of smaller, residential communities strung together. So a suburb plus a suburb is still a suburb.

Old 05-31-2009, 04:57 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,587,151 times
Yeah, I totally agree that Temecula is a suburb. Absolutely. I don't think it's a suburb of L.A. I guess that's the distinction. I would consider it a suburb of S.D. So to say that the entire I.E. is one big suburb of L.A. is inaccurate. To say that it's comprised almost entirely of suburban-style communities, now that would be a better representation.

Old 05-31-2009, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Yeah, I totally agree that Temecula is a suburb. Absolutely. I don't think it's a suburb of L.A. I guess that's the distinction. I would consider it a suburb of S.D. So to say that the entire I.E. is one big suburb of L.A. is inaccurate. To say that it's comprised almost entirely of suburban-style communities, now that would be a better representation.
Agree, the western half of the Inland Empire probably is where most of the commuters to Los Angeles or Orange County are. Upland, Rancho Cucamonga, Montclair, Ontario, Riverside, Corona, Chino, and Chino Hills are the areas where most of these commuters live most likely due to geographic reasons and options like Metrolink. The San Bernardino Line Metrolink train into L.A. is the busiest in the whole Metrolink system for example.

A place like Temecula is probably where most of the 3.4% commuters to San Diego came from. The far east end of the I.E. like Yucapia, Redlands, etc... probably have very few going outside the I.E.

So, I would say some areas are suburbs and some are just under the sphere of influence of L.A.

Also, just out of curiosity, is your media market out of L.A.??? Like do you get local news from L.A. stations like ABC 7 or KTLA 5? What about radio, any L.A. based stations??

Old 05-31-2009, 05:12 PM

1,061 posts, read 3,587,151 times
When we had a satellite dish, we got S.D. news, but now with Fios we get L.A. news (I think. I don't watch any "local" news on T.V.). Our radio stations come from S.D. primarily, with one station coming out of Temecula (k.a.t.y.).

Old 05-31-2009, 06:46 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
It does have A LOT of housing, but it lacks in: Entertainment (can't really go to a Laker's game, go to an upscale club, see a play, no great museums, also a severe lack of a music scene), certain shops (there is a reason why business owners shop in LA, again more upscale shops in LA...pretty much a wider variety of shops), medicine (Loma Linda lacks certain equipment that UCLA and USC have), universities (UCR is rising, but nowhere the level of Cal Tech, UCLA, USC, Occidental), and beaches.
Well I guess we certainly have to forget about universities like La Verne, and Claremont. Of course UCR isn't in the league with USC or Cal Tech or UCLA< I am not so sure about Oxy. If what you are saying makes a location a suburb of another city, I guess us, here in NWA would be considered a suburb of Dallas or Austin. We don't have major league sports and only have the University of AR, not Texas, Texas AandM or the Mavs. Or maybe Flagstaff should be considered a suburb of Phoenix.. In my opinion your comparisons hold no water...

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 06:49 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,936,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dogmom View Post
Most of those commuters are probably not going into LA per se.most likely heading to OC..so maybe it a suburb of OC? No, IE is it's own place..nothing you need that you can't get here...or within a short distance unless you are going for a sporting event or whatever..
Exactly, going to Los Angeles county, OC or even San Diego county does not make it a burb of Los Angeles.

Nita

Old 05-31-2009, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
Exactly, going to Los Angeles county, OC or even San Diego county does not make it a burb of Los Angeles.

Nita
But would commuting for WORK, your source of income, make a place a suburb? 30% is a very high rate, the highest in the country between counties. The Inland Empire's growth is very dependent on the coastal counties, like it or not. The I.E. could not support its population growth without the jobs provided in Los Angeles or Orange County. Where would 30% of the county work if not in L.A. or Orange?? Sure the I.E. is able to function for day to day activities such as shopping, entertainment, food, recreation, and 70% of the jobs, but the 30% working outside the region can't be ignored because it is a signifigant amount.

Last edited by missionhome; 05-31-2009 at 08:25 PM..

Old 05-31-2009, 08:46 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,786,765 times
Quote:
Temecula as it stands now is a suburb mainly. 20 years ago Temecula was not a suburb. It was agriculture basically(wine) and tourism. Menifee was farms, ranches, and a retirement community 15 years ago, now it is far more suburban. Hell, most of IE 15-20 years ago was ranches and farmland. It's changed a lot since I last lived there(Norco, Lake Matthews, and Menifee). The only real communities I recall were San Bernardino, Riverside, and Corona. Everything else was backwoods and full of cowboys and vaqueros working the ranches or the land.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties