Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do you consider the I.E. a big Suburb of LA?
Yes 22 51.16%
No 21 48.84%
Voters: 43. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 06:46 AM

77,771 posts, read 104,909,020 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by that1guy View Post
Seeing how it's between 30min to an hr from LA or OC or SD...it's a suburb of LA/OC/SD.
What are you calling the IE? It is a huge area, you may be able to get from one area to say, OC in an hour, but I hardly think that would classify it as a suburb of Los Angeles.

NIta
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-30-2009, 06:54 AM

26,785 posts, read 26,907,402 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nmnita View Post
What are you calling the IE? It is a huge area...
Yes, it is. Try: Welcome to the Inland Action Homepage (http://www.inlandaction.com/maps.html - broken link)

And no, I don't consider it a suburb of L.A. It has completely different demographics.

Old 05-30-2009, 08:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA4Now View Post
Yes, it is. Try: Welcome to the Inland Action Homepage (http://www.inlandaction.com/maps.html - broken link)

And no, I don't consider it a suburb of L.A. It has completely different demographics.
I will be interested to see how others define IE> You are right in my opinion, it is not a burb, but has it's own personality and yes, demographics.

They have one thing in common, INnOut burgers.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 04:38 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,070,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
A lot of people are moving there from Oc and LA county b/c it's cheaper, The I.E. is huge but the only problem is that there's no Main City to make the region. Some say Riverside,San Bernandino, Ontario, if the I.E. is going to be the second largest metro in Ca it needs a Main city.
How about Needles or Daggett???

Old 05-30-2009, 04:52 PM

5,408 posts, read 12,676,537 times
NO!!!! it is not a suburb of Los Angeles.

thats like sayin oxnard is a suburb of LA. Or OC is a suburb of LA.

LA does have its own suburbs, independent municipalities adjacent to the city borders. these would be Inglewood, Compton, Santa Monica, Huntington Park, Glendale, Burbank, etc etc.

all these cities are just as old as LA. they grew up together. but LA was the big brother.

in early LA history (19 teens) these smaller cities were outside of the major metro area, then considered to be DowntTown. These places like HP did have rail linking them to DT LA, that was the connection. people would go into the city (DT) and do what they needed to do, then go back to their homes outside of the city limits.

as time went on, LA grew and all these areas became connected. it turned into one big metropolitan area. post WWII more houses further out were being built in places like Downey and more parts of the SFV and SGV. these became the new suburbs as people sprawled.

the inner core (picture DTLA, then draw a 5mi, 10mi, 15mi radius.) was built out. and has continued to be built out. but the true suburbs of LA have a historical link. they grew up together. they share the same fortunes and misfortunes. there are connections. Links. and im not talkin about metrolink.

thats as far as LA suburbs go. far flung comminities in the IE are not suburbs of LA.

Old 05-30-2009, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the one View Post
NO!!!! it is not a suburb of Los Angeles.

thats like sayin oxnard is a suburb of LA. Or OC is a suburb of LA.

LA does have its own suburbs, independent municipalities adjacent to the city borders. these would be Inglewood, Compton, Santa Monica, Huntington Park, Glendale, Burbank, etc etc.

all these cities are just as old as LA. they grew up together. but LA was the big brother.

in early LA history (19 teens) these smaller cities were outside of the major metro area, then considered to be DowntTown. These places like HP did have rail linking them to DT LA, that was the connection. people would go into the city (DT) and do what they needed to do, then go back to their homes outside of the city limits.

as time went on, LA grew and all these areas became connected. it turned into one big metropolitan area. post WWII more houses further out were being built in places like Downey and more parts of the SFV and SGV. these became the new suburbs as people sprawled.

the inner core (picture DTLA, then draw a 5mi, 10mi, 15mi radius.) was built out. and has continued to be built out. but the true suburbs of LA have a historical link. they grew up together. they share the same fortunes and misfortunes. there are connections. Links. and im not talkin about metrolink.

thats as far as LA suburbs go. far flung comminities in the IE are not suburbs of LA.
you can even stretch the burbs of L.A to Pasadena, Arcadia, Monrovia, maybe as far north as Thousand Oaks to the west and of course La Canada, the Covinas and Glendora. That is as far as the burbs go and that might be stretching it.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 06:30 PM

1,423 posts, read 4,690,813 times
People say The I.E.i is a burb of LA b/c its only 1hr- 2 hrs away! This is probably the only reason people say that. Where I live I could be there in 30 mins! Maybe another reason why they say that is b/c you could be in Sb and Rv counties in 30 mins from the LA Metro. and another question is Sb and Rv counties are huge and I don't even know what part do they call the I.E.? Example do they call Chino hills the I.E. b/c it's in Sb County? Don't think so b/c its right by OC to!

Old 05-30-2009, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by californialove24 View Post
People say The I.E.i is a burb of LA b/c its only 1hr- 2 hrs away! This is probably the only reason people say that. Where I live I could be there in 30 mins! Maybe another reason why they say that is b/c you could be in Sb and Rv counties in 30 mins from the LA Metro. and another question is Sb and Rv counties are huge and I don't even know what part do they call the I.E.? Example do they call Chino hills the I.E. b/c it's in Sb County? Don't think so b/c its right by OC to!
I would guess, SB county would be the break off for the IE.

Nita

Old 05-30-2009, 08:56 PM

244 posts, read 486,891 times
IMO everything this side of Hesperia is a suburb of LA. You have a constant sprawl of homes all the way from Santa Monica to Moreno Valley with very few small pockets of open land in between. There is really no cultural difference to seperate them. Both have affluent pockets of homes with lots of suburbia in between.

Old 05-31-2009, 07:39 AM

3,536 posts, read 5,913,585 times
Having grown up in Moreno Valley...(my dad also went to UCR in the late 1960s early 70s). You needed, and still need to go further to the coast to obtain certain goods and services. This is the suburban nature of the IE. A larger percentage of residents in the IE still have to commute to points further along the coast. The percent diminished in recent years, but it is still higher than LA county.

This reliance on LA is what defines this region as a suburb.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties