Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-13-2007, 12:41 AM

8,545 posts, read 10,272,077 times

Advertisements

We lived in Beaumont for a year in a new pardee home in Sundance community from 2003-2004. They don't call it 'BLOWMONT' for nothing...wind, dust dirt, you name it , we had it. At that time the only retailer in town was Kmart..I understand it has now built up. Lots of homes for sale now...not much in appreciation since we left...I would not go back. Yucaipa better choice!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-13-2007, 01:00 AM

9,725 posts, read 15,167,548 times
You have to get closer in to Los Angeles to have anything positive about living in SoCal. (Unless you really like living in the desert -- then you need to move out further towards Palm Springs.) Beaumont is sort of the center of nothing.

If you are going to live with pollution, traffic and crime, you might as well live in LA where you get great shopping, great weather and lots of things to do along with the negatives.

The downfall is that it costs a bit more to live in LA.

Yucaipa isn't terrible. I drive out there a lot to go to Yucaipa's antique row. Redlands isn't bad either. Yucaipa and Redlands are sort of like the outskirts of LA -- it's close enough to drive in to do things on a weekend, yet it's far enough out of town that you pay less for housing.

I dunno. The whole SoCal area is one big tradeoff of one sort or another.

Old 10-19-2007, 03:46 AM

3 posts, read 11,298 times
Wink I am OLD Beaumont

I grew up in Beaumont. We moved there in 76 when Beaumont was literally a tiny, inland horse town with nothing but Cherry trees and dusty fields. Today, Beaumont is a booming bedroom community and is what I consider a decent place to live (yes, it can be hot and windy, but compared to the central valley, it is much more pleasant). Would I choose to live there? No. Some of my family is still there, and I do like to visit, but hey, after moving to Texas (8 years ago), I don't think I could ever go back.

Last edited by AustinTraveler; 10-19-2007 at 07:42 PM.. Reason: Advertising property for sale.

Old 01-26-2008, 10:08 PM

14 posts, read 63,578 times
Default moved from east coast

I grew up in New Jersey and lived in the northeast all my life (NJ, CT, PA)

I moved out to Beaumont 1 1/2 years ago and there's good and bad about this area ....

Good:

1) love the weather! lots of sunshine, but there's rain once in a while to keep it wet enough. Because of elevation, the temperature is about 10 degrees cooler than Palm Springs, so rarely gets above 100. The air quality is MUCH better than L.A. or Riverside, too.

2) not much traffic! If you live in OC or LA or Riverside you'll be spending 2 hours a day in traffic.

3) it's the middle of nothing, but the center of everything. It's 1/2 hour to Palm Springs, but not too far from L.A. (75-90 minutes depending on traffic) or the beaches, and close to Big Bear, San Diego, even Vegas.

4) cheaper housing, lots of nice new developments and new homes being built. In today's market there's lots of great bargains.

5) small town feel. . . yeah still has that small town feel. . . for better or for worse!

Bad:

1) with the current market, there's lots of foreclosures and vacant homes everywhere ... but that's most of the Inland Empire, not just Beaumont. With that, there's lots of riff-raff everywhere, too... My one neighbor has 2 families crammed into the house with 6 kids running around, and the other neighbor hasn't landscaped their backyard for a year, so it's still dirt. I live in the Sundance quote Masterplanned unquote community.

2) big box stores everywhere ... WalMart, Kohl's, Chili's ... but I guess that's most of the IE and most of America, for that matter. There are still some mom 'n pop stores to make it small-town. I wish there were better restaurants, but it's not far to Redlands or Palm Springs. I wish there was better Asian cuisines.

Overall, I'm glad I moved here.

Old 01-27-2008, 06:29 AM

259 posts, read 1,918,138 times
If I had the choice between Beaumont, Yucaipa or Redlands would win that hands down!.....watch for the flys in Yucaipa!

Old 02-03-2008, 11:28 PM

1 posts, read 5,078 times
It sounds like you are talking about Beaumont, TX. There are no chemical plants or refineries in Beaumont, CA.

Old 02-07-2008, 10:12 AM

1 posts, read 5,059 times
Default I live in Beaumont

I actually live in Cherry Valley, which is in Beaumont and we are in the incorporated part of the city located in Riverside County. My kids go to Beaumont Schools and husband works here in town.
Beaumont is a nice quiet town with approx. 20,000 people. There are no jobs and really nothing to do for the family. But..the town is growing, we just got a Home Depot, Chili's, Applebees, Wickes, a Walmart. The Best Buy is currently under construction and should be finished soon. There are rumors of a Target.
You have your locals who have been raised here and you have transplants from all over Southern California who have really taken an interest in the community - this is good. There is Baseball, Soccer, Football, etc. for the kids and the community is really envolved in sports here.

Since we are a small town,hidden in a Pass area, the atmosphere is a bit country - There is a majority here that are on Social Security, Welfare - social programs, but overall the climate is changing.

There are no chemical plants here and the weather is beautiful and we live below the mountains, the views are gorgeous. One thing, since we are in a Pass Area, the wind blows, which aggarvates allergies and dry skin. It gets cold and snows once a year, which does not last no more than one day. We do get a haze from the fog in the morning and sometimes in the summer when the smog in the Inland Empire is bad - but this does not occur hardly at all.

Crime is small like with any small town, but nothing major.

I Hoped this helped!!

Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 AM

14 posts, read 63,578 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by CherryMom3 View Post
I actually live in Cherry Valley, which is in Beaumont and we are in the incorporated part of the city located in Riverside County. My kids go to Beaumont Schools and husband works here in town.
Beaumont is a nice quiet town with approx. 20,000 people. There are no jobs and really nothing to do for the family. But..the town is growing, we just got a Home Depot, Chili's, Applebees, Wickes, a Walmart. The Best Buy is currently under construction and should be finished soon. There are rumors of a Target.
You have your locals who have been raised here and you have transplants from all over Southern California who have really taken an interest in the community - this is good. There is Baseball, Soccer, Football, etc. for the kids and the community is really envolved in sports here.

What do you think about the schools here? I haven't heard anything spectacular. I've always been a supporter of the public school system, but I'm kind of wary nonetheless.

Old 02-15-2008, 11:47 AM

3 posts, read 12,733 times
sounds like you know the area pretty good, we are moving to the Sundance area, my spouse works in Palm Springs, what is the best way to get to La, or Studio City,and how long is the commute in general?

Old 02-15-2008, 11:53 AM

3 posts, read 12,733 times
Cherrymom, exactly were do you need to go for kids sports and activities? we are moving to Beaumont, and don't know much about the area, i like to find some type of team sport for my daughter or tennis lessons. Maybe continue karate, and is there anything for two year olds in the area? I live in Florida and we have little gyms all over the place... Please advice it would be very helpful.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties