Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-23-2014, 09:27 PM

18 posts, read 80,605 times

Advertisements

We are a family of 4 from Pensacola, Fl planning to relocate to Temcula or Murrieta in early 2015. My husband works for FedEx and will make his transfer there. He's also currently training to be a certified American Sign Language interpreter. I am a stay at home mom of two little ones. I am culturally Deaf and use ASL to communicate. My son is hard of hearing and speaks very well and knows ASL. He's 4 and reads 1st grade level books. So his language thankfully is not delayed. But I'd like for him to explore the Deaf culture or be among peers who shows interests in ASL.

I was wondering about the community interests in ASL?

I'm just curious about the FEdEx station there. Good and bad reviews? Any general thoughts?

I know the deaf community is large in Riverside. We definitely will make a frequent visit in Riverside and OC. I was wondering how's the drive there like? Traffic?

We also have a daughter that's almost 2 and she hears fine. Naturally I'm looking into a good school and family activities. We are looking for a condo to buy. Which town do you prefer to live- Temecula or Murrieta?

I've heard a lot about Murrieta Mesa High - kids there are very interested in ASL.

Anything with ASL- I'm interested to explore into it.

We LOVE the rain and anything that's involving water. How far is the beach? And do you like the nearest beach?
I understand California is suffering droughts. How's T/M dealing with it? Does it get cold? What's the lowest temperature? How's it different with Florida's heat? We do not mind the humidity here. It seems T/M temp gets higher than 100. Does it feel like 100 there? Here we really do not feel too much of the heat because of the ocean breeze. I was wondering if that's same over there?

We love Florida but unfortunately the resources for Deaf and Hard of Hearing is limited. My son has a progressive hearing loss and eventually he will go profound deaf one day and will end up getting a cochlear implant. We want what is best for the family and Riverside/Irvine has all the support and resources. But because of affordable cost of living and FedEx is pointed to Temecula and Murrieta.

Can you tell me about Temecula culture?

Thanks in advance!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-24-2014, 07:28 AM

79 posts, read 113,422 times
I don't know but wanted to wish you good luck!

Old 11-24-2014, 08:09 AM

458 posts, read 1,263,649 times
I do not know much about the deaf culture here in Temecula. Temecula and Murrieta are very similar, they look the same, the weather is the same and the cost about the same to live.

Temecula is about 50 mins to 1 hour to the nearest beach (oceanside) The beach is fine. You can go further south if you want what most people would say are nicer beaches.

In the summer it gets to 110 a few weeks out of the year, it doesn't stay that hot all day, maybe for a few hours. By night time it is down in the 70's and 80's and it feels cool. The difference in the weather is the humidity, we rarely have humidity here. I don't like the humidity, it makes me feel sticky and makes me sweat. The heat here is usually very dry, you can still sit outside in the shade when it is 100 and not sweat, you can't do that in Florida when it is 100 due to humidity. In the winter it gets cold once the sun goes down. This morning I woke up to clear skies and 42f, but it will get up to 75 today once the sun comes up and heats up the valley. We do get below freezing a few times during the winter overnights but generally the winter day time highs are at least in the 60's and low 70's. You will get a week or 2 of cooler weather where it won't get above 55 during the day, this is usually when it is raining. Temecula averages 11 inches of rain per year. to give you some perspective, Pensacola, FL averages 61 inches a year. It doesn't rain here from May through October. you can pretty much count on no rain at all during those months. You might see some mist but it is not significant. For someone who likes the rain, this is not the place to live.

I would say most people in Temecula keep to themselves.

Old 11-24-2014, 10:49 AM

18 posts, read 80,605 times
Thanks and I appreciate your help! Well, what is the best for our family is more important than our desire for rain and beach.. Truly we will miss our lifestyle here in florida but we will adapt just fine. I think Temecula or Murrieta will be a good start place to live. We may gradually move to northern part to be closer to the Deaf community. University High school is the best school with a mainstream program for Deaf and Hard of Hearing in nation. There are 135, give or take, Deaf and Hard of Hearing students at University High. I"ve met a couple of them.. So that's the goal for our children. But who knows what our future holds.

I just hope there will be a plenty of things to do for families with small children in T/M. We are used to going to beach all the time, downtown fun for families such as parades, tricks or treats, and monthly festivities. Does T/M have any festivities such as weekly music at the park, parades or any special events? How's the downtown Temecula like? I saw something about ice-skating rink in T/M? How's that like?

My husband is a musician and he enjoy watching live bands, songwriting workshops, etc. We are influenced by New Orleans Jazz and Nashville's country. We hope that Temecula has some music festivities.

oh oh,.. any suggestion on which dancing company I can enroll my daughter (toddler) in? She loves to dance so I want to encourage that.

Many thanks!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties