Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-05-2010, 06:31 AM

2 posts, read 2,763 times

Advertisements

Hi
I'm moving to Riverside within the next 2 months Ineed any reference about the city since I dont know anything about it
I'm 34 yrs old with family of two girls (one teenager and the other one 12) my husband
We're from Montreal,Canada
I appreciate any information about this city is safe,what about schools?is a big town?
anything at all
thank you
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2010, 06:45 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
Riverside, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 04-05-2010, 06:52 AM

2 posts, read 2,763 times
Thanks for the information page but I was looking for info from people who actually lives there or have been there so they can share with me their experiences
Thank you very much I appreciate the link
Have a nice day

Old 04-05-2010, 07:04 AM

9,894 posts, read 22,025,302 times
I lived in riverside near poly high school. Its a good,clean & safe area of riverside. Many areas of riverside are nasty. Riverside is a city of approx 200k people & the summers are very hot & dry. San Bernardino (san bernaghetto) is the nearest big city with a population of 110k. Stay out of san bernardino, colton, rialto, fontana, ontario & bloomington. I would suggest you checkout redlands. Its overall a nice city & not far from riverside. L.A. is 60 miles west. Good-luck.

Old 04-05-2010, 08:32 AM

13,827 posts, read 29,939,634 times
I lived in Riverside as a teen/young adult, from 1996-2003. I attended La Sierra High School. We lived in a middle class area on the extreme western side of Riverside.

Summers are hot and smoggy, winters are mild and rainy, springs are nice, and fall is fire season and is windy. The only snow you'll ever see will be on the mountains.

Riverside has everything from very rich to very poor. Schools are above average for a city its size (pop. 300,000) IMO (I am a product of them). The beach is 45 minutes to an hour away. OC is about 1/2 hour without traffic, LA is about an hour, SD about 1.5 hours.

How you'll do in Riverside will depend on your budget. What's bringing you to Riverside?

Old 04-05-2010, 11:30 AM

3,322 posts, read 7,972,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
I lived in riverside near poly high school. Its a good,clean & safe area of riverside. Many areas of riverside are nasty. Riverside is a city of approx 200k people & the summers are very hot & dry. San Bernardino (san bernaghetto) is the nearest big city with a population of 110k. Stay out of san bernardino, colton, rialto, fontana, ontario & bloomington. I would suggest you checkout redlands. Its overall a nice city & not far from riverside. L.A. is 60 miles west. Good-luck.

Do not listen to this guy. Just about everything is wrong. San Berndoo has over 200k now. Its just as big population wise as Riverside. Quite honestly, if you live in Riverside there is no reason why you need to San Berndoo. Most people that live in Riverside tend to go south or west for work...not north. Riverside has been hit hard by the housing market. Quite possbily the hardest hit in the IE and maybe the entire SoCal region. Riverside is a massive city. I just started to venture into Riverside and I am surprised how big it is. There are definitely bad and good areas of the city but this true for every city in SoCal. Now is a good time to buy a home in this area. It will be a big difference from Canada. It is hot and does not snow. It gets really hot in the summer, over 100 several days.

Old 04-05-2010, 02:51 PM

3,113 posts, read 8,379,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cnadja View Post
Hi
is a big town?
Well it's a little city and much slower paced that a big city like Los Angeles, but it's definitely not a town. If feeling like you live in a town is important to you, then you might want to consider Redlands, or any of the smaller cities to the East.

When you first arrive I would google the Mission Inn, and have lunch there, and then spend a couple of hours exploring the area around it. Check out the museums on the same street, drive through Fairmont Park and the lake, drive through the Wood Street area. Drive by the courthouse, which was built at the turn of the last century, and was modeled after the Grand and Petit Palais in Paris. If you have time park at Mount Rubidoux and walk the three mile loop up to the top, where you'll be able to see miles in every direction. Then get on Market/Magnolia Street, and drive all the way out to the Tyler Mall - not to see the mall, because it's just like any other mall, but rather to see the city as you drive through it. Then if you have time, drive along the length of Victoria - it's a beautiful avenue, with a lot of history.

If you do all that you'll have a really good idea of what Riverside is like - you'll have seen it's best and worst - and you'll probably have a really good idea it's for you!

Old 04-05-2010, 04:25 PM

16,806 posts, read 39,945,786 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by eagle7 View Post
Stay out of san bernardino, colton, rialto, fontana, ontario & bloomington.
Why?

Old 04-05-2010, 10:51 PM

29 posts, read 91,560 times
I wonder why you're leaving Canada? I've always fantasized about living there
None of my business anyhow.

Riverside does have it's goods and bads, like everywhere else.

Some goods are that there are old style houses that look nice, and the city is connected to other popular destinations of Southern California (Los Angeles and other spots)

It gets HOT here, and even though I've lived in this general area for ten years it still hits me hard.

If you have money, go to Canyon Crest or Orange Crest, very nice there.
I would NOT recommend Eastside or Casa Blanca. You won't get shot up or anything but I think you could do better.

There are 'gangs' here but that's everywhere in California really. They aren't the gun-toting kinds though, so don't worry about that. They are essentially 'gangs', groups of people, usually minors.

Be sure to look at statistics, demographs and stuff. That makes all the difference for some people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties