Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties
 [Register]
San Bernardino and Riverside Counties The Inland Empire
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What is wrong with our school system? Why are our kids failing?
Cirriculum 3 23.08%
Bad Teaching 1 7.69%
Students 6 46.15%
Parents 10 76.92%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-30-2010, 05:34 AM

7 posts, read 15,210 times

Advertisements

Why can't teachers teach effectively anymore....who is to blame? The teachers.....? No. Not completely. The parents.....? No. They are not the ones administering an education. The students themselves.....? No. In part, each and every one above plays an important part. But, who really sets the standard and the cirriculum that the students must follow?

The answer is The Cirriculum Commission, which is an advisory body to the California State Board of Education. And don't forget the National Cirriculum.

There is a danger that some teachers are being expected to stick rigidly to their lesson plans, rather than use their professional judgment and react to a child's enthusiasm. One solution ... might lie in allowing greater freedom for teachers to make professional decisions as to what and how, and even when, they teach, within much less restrictive guidelines.
That would include the freedom to be more reactive to individuals' needs – something that good teachers do, by instinct, on a daily basis.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-30-2010, 06:45 AM

16,806 posts, read 39,928,986 times
You're absolutely correct. The first thing teachers should address is the proper spelling of curriculum.

Old 04-30-2010, 06:50 AM

7 posts, read 15,210 times
Lol. Absolutely!

Old 04-30-2010, 10:39 AM

8,091 posts, read 15,427,067 times
I believe it starts at the front line - the parents. A lot is already ingrained in the first years of the child's life, before they even reach school age.

I'm sure many will disagree with me

Old 04-30-2010, 10:51 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
I think that there are a lot of reasons why kids are failing. Bad cirriculum, teachers who shouldn`t be teaching(bad teachers), out of control kids in the classroom and no cooperation from parents, parents who don`t care if their kid is failing. Teachers having pressure to teach according to what the standard state tests are and therefore having to forgo to teach what is more important. To many kids in classrooms and not being able to give more individual time. Teachers who don`t really care about the kids but just their to collect a paycheck and teachers who think that they know it all. That`s all I can think of right now.

Old 04-30-2010, 10:59 AM

1,882 posts, read 3,108,480 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cl723 View Post
I think that there are a lot of reasons why kids are failing. Bad cirriculum, teachers who shouldn`t be teaching(bad teachers), out of control kids in the classroom and no cooperation from parents, parents who don`t care if their kid is failing. Teachers having pressure to teach according to what the standard state tests are and therefore having to forgo to teach what is more important. To many kids in classrooms and not being able to give more individual time. Teachers who don`t really care about the kids but just their to collect a paycheck and teachers who think that they know it all. That`s all I can think of right now.
The bolded part is a far bigger problem then the public, lawmakers or news agencies think or want to believe.

I'm all for a standardized curriculum in a broad sense. That's NOT limiting to teachers in a bad way. It's only a negative if teachers have it dictated HOW to teach the curriculum. But having a set of standards consistent across the state and nation is a good thing.

Old 04-30-2010, 11:07 AM

1,963 posts, read 4,981,130 times
In my opinion, the standards aren`t very high and the problem with having the same type of cirriculum for every student is that not all students learn the same way.

Old 04-30-2010, 03:15 PM

3 posts, read 9,205 times
Post Lausd = fail

LAUSD Fires how many teachers per year:
0.003%

Top 100 Best companies to work for average turn over rate:
13%

California for the most part has crappy teachers because they don't fire any of them. Not even the ones that molest and beat your kids.

The average cost to the tax payer for an LAUSD kid is $30-40k

The best private schools in the united states are around $30-40k

Big humongous non-charter schools + illegal immigrant & riff raff kids = 50% drop out rate.

LAUSD is a total failure.

Old 04-30-2010, 05:33 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fontucky View Post
You're absolutely correct. The first thing teachers should address is the proper spelling of curriculum.
Once again ... you beat me to it!!!

Old 04-30-2010, 11:34 PM

5,113 posts, read 19,757,166 times
All of the above, probably in this order. Parents, Curriculum(std testing influence), Teachers, Students. Get to high school and changes a bit: Students, Parents, Curriculum, Teachers. No one can shoulder all the blame and no one is innocent
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Bernardino and Riverside Counties