Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-08-2010, 09:15 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times

Advertisements

What tiny shacks have you found a mile from the beach? What do you call a mile from the beach? But if you have all this money saved up, and don't need to work, just move here, rent a room, and hang out all day long.

Isn't that what you want?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-08-2010, 11:00 PM

141 posts, read 286,891 times
NO no NO. No such place. Who would give up coastal real estate to a piece of crap employee that can be replaced in one hour. That is the attitude of employers here. Try the Florida Keys.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:21 PM

46 posts, read 79,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
What tiny shacks have you found a mile from the beach? What do you call a mile from the beach? But if you have all this money saved up, and don't need to work, just move here, rent a room, and hang out all day long.

Isn't that what you want?
Ones on craigslist and other appartment finder websites. I call a mile 5,280 feet but who knows how accurate those listings really are. Yea thats what I would do for a little bit but eventually I need a job and I do want to be a structural engineer and I will be but for now its time to be a bum and take a break for a bit. Who knows how long that will last. I was lucky enough to recieve a large sum of money in a very unfortunate way but that doesnt mean I plan on spending all of it. I plan on living life like I normally would and if I need to pull money out I will but I dont really plan on changing my life style.

Old 08-08-2010, 11:32 PM

46 posts, read 79,368 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
NO no NO. No such place. Who would give up coastal real estate to a piece of crap employee that can be replaced in one hour. That is the attitude of employers here. Try the Florida Keys.
Florida Keys sound nice but I am looking for a city. And I dont handle high temp and humidity very well. Im sure I would get used to it tho.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:14 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
Um, have you been to Imperial Beach? And there are plenty of crappy houses close to all the beaches (ok maybe not La Jolla ) but you could definitely find a crappy room in a crappy house w/in a mile of the beach for $800 (EDIT: or MUCH LESS for that matter). This isn't Manhattan people.

To the OP: you might have some luck with an engineering degree if you have some job experience, but definitely try to at least get some interviews before you come out here. Have you considered other cities in CA? Not that the job market is great elsewhere in this state, but the more places you apply to, the greater the chances of success, and most of what you've said you are looking for applies to most of southern/central coastal California. LA might be a place to look into. Just a thought.

Old 08-09-2010, 03:33 AM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Another thought: if you did in fact graduate from a university in engineering, it wouldn't hurt to check with your school's career services. Who knows, they might have some leads for you out here. Just please don't come out here (or really anywhere) without a plan and expect things to just work out by winging it. That's never a good idea

Old 08-09-2010, 07:48 AM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notilloc View Post
but for now its time to be a bum and take a break for a bit.
Move to OB then. But be careful, people will not feed you as we have all been asked to please refrain from feeding the bums.

P.S. OP if you don't handle humidity well, then why the heck are you moving 1 mile from the beach? You do realize the humidity is usually 70-90% year round by the beach?

Old 08-09-2010, 10:03 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Another one with stars in his eyes..........

Old 08-09-2010, 01:35 PM

77,771 posts, read 104,756,288 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by notilloc View Post
Like I said it would be very temporary with the very low paying job. I know san diego is very spread out and I do have transportation (I drive a 2007 Toyota fj cruiser and a 2008 kawasaki ninja zx-10r) I also have a pretty decent looking resume and have never had a problem getting a job. The whole reason I originally wanted to live in employee housing is because if everything doesnt work out I can get up and move back home and try again later. It makes it more difficult when signing a rental agreement. I also have no problem living in a rougher neighborhood with decent parking options. I am pretty street smart and never carry much cash on me and grew up in minneapolis mn and have unfortunately spent some time in detroit which really taught me quite a bit about life. I realize it is much different than san diego but at the same time a much better start than someone coming from middle of nowhere utah or something like that. This is something I am pretty set on and am looking for an area that will work right now. If it doesnt work out then who cares I will leave but if it does work out then great. I have some money to survive off of for quite a while but I really dont want to waste it on a fancy apartment considering I will be outside all the time either biking, surfing, running, long boarding or just hanging out on the beach. I could care less where I live as long as I can be somewhere close to where I work. I would love to be able to park my car and be able to ride my motorcycle or bike everywhere I need to go. Is it really impossible?
The advise you are getting is the best you can expect and no matter how impressive your resume is, there are thousands of others in San Diego hoping for the same thing. You say you don't mind a rough neighborhood as long as it is safe, that doesn't go together and there are not many safe neighborhoods that are inexpensive. At least you are saying you won't move until you have a job. The next step is for you to start applying for jobs.

Also, if you haven't been to San Diego what makes you want to move there so badly? I am not saying it isn't a neat town, it is, but I am just curious. It seems interesting, you have been advised by almost everyone not to move right now but as soon as one person says, go for it, your answer is: that is what I wanted to hear. If you already know what you are going to do, may I ask why you even asked for advise? And you say you have a bach in engineering, but are asking about jobs in resorts and places like that? Why would you not want to persue the field you have been educated in?

Nita

Old 08-09-2010, 01:53 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,576,569 times
How about a cruise ship job?

Cruise Ship Jobs - Free Guide to Cruise Line Jobs
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego