Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-20-2008, 03:37 AM

6 posts, read 33,537 times

Advertisements

I've read many different opinions but I thought I'd verify anyway.
I'm thinking of renting in 92115 near streamview drive and college ave.
Its also near the Marketplace at the Grove.
Is it really not safe to live there?
And is it not safe be around the area?
Like going to that plaza?
but they have banks in there too!
Are the laundromats in the area ok?
I probably need to do laundry somewhere outside the house...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-20-2008, 06:47 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltan View Post
I've read many different opinions but I thought I'd verify anyway.
I'm thinking of renting in 92115 near streamview drive and college ave.
Its also near the Marketplace at the Grove.
Is it really not safe to live there?
And is it not safe be around the area?
Like going to that plaza?
but they have banks in there too!
Are the laundromats in the area ok?
I probably need to do laundry somewhere outside the house...
I wouldn't live over there. Some of the apartments over there have become gang hangouts, there is a lot of junk strewn all over the place, graffiti, etc. Go north, preferably north of University into Rolando or east towards La Mesa, it's much better. In general the apartments around here are all pretty bad unless you are closer to SDSU, this is a mostly single-family home area.

Marketplace at the Grove isn't unsafe but we go to Mission Valley or Grossmont for our shopping instead. The local stores on El Cajon Boulevard are fine and cater mostly to college kids. 92115 has multi-million dollar estates and cracked-out blocks, do your legwork before you move into any place.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:13 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,409,026 times
I just want to echo Sassberto's comment that 92115 runs the gamut from multi-million dollar estates (Alvarado Estates), solid mid-century single family neighborhoods (Rolando, El Cerrito, Talmadge), blue collar bungalows (Azalea Park) to cracked out blocks at least by San Diego standards.

I can't speak specifically to the Streamview area as in all the years I've lived in San Diego I have never been there.

Basically, stay north and east of the dog leg that runs from University Avenue to 54th Street to El Cajon Boulevard.

Unless of course you are a gangster hoodlum in which case please DO go hang out with your fellow thugs. We sometimes forget that on City-Data. We assume 100% of the people here are looking to avoid the shady element. We could be wrong in that assumption. You never can tell over the Internet.

Old 02-20-2008, 08:20 AM

Well, I'm definitely not a gang memeber.
But it sounds like that area is really bad...
Its funny cuz I drove around the area and I saw mostly homes in that part.
There were no graffitis, and no people hanging out on the street...
So I thought it was quiet and safe for the most part.
Btw, I was gonna move into a room for rent with a family...
I guess from the sound of it, that's still not a good idea?

Old 02-20-2008, 09:39 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rltan View Post
Well, I'm definitely not a gang memeber.
But it sounds like that area is really bad...
Its funny cuz I drove around the area and I saw mostly homes in that part.
There were no graffitis, and no people hanging out on the street...
So I thought it was quiet and safe for the most part.
Btw, I was gonna move into a room for rent with a family...
I guess from the sound of it, that's still not a good idea?
OK, that's a little different, I thought you were renting an apartment. If you are in the neighborhood, where all the single family homes are, it's OK. I have been through that neighborhood lots of times and it is pretty quiet. It's almost all homeowners in there. Just watch out for the apartments in the area (on College), that is where the trouble is. There is also a big complex on Streamview west of College that is kinda sketchy. Generally speaking east of College (Rolando Park) is better than west of College (Redwood Village).

Old 02-20-2008, 04:59 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,577,547 times
Pretty bad
not the worst though but it is def. up there

Old 02-20-2008, 05:25 PM

70 posts, read 312,783 times
5800-6000 Streamview is mostly ghetto apartments. There are single family homes on either side to College and 54th and up each of the streets like Spa and Lynn. There are daily police calls to 5848 Streamview Dr and the apartments in the immediate area. There is a halfway house across the street from there filled with parolees. There is a 7-11 at College and Streamview/Billman and the element from this area walk back and forth by the single family homes from 6100-6400 Streamview.

Old 02-20-2008, 07:11 PM

yes, i remember seeing 7-11!
and u got it very accurate!
the place I am thinking of renting was around 6100-6400.
unfortunately, we gave our deposit already...
i guess we just have to let it go since the overall opinion seems to say its terrible...

Old 02-20-2008, 07:42 PM

70 posts, read 312,783 times
You should be alright. Just be aware of the 5800-6000 blocks. You can tell you are there by the cars parked in the center median.

Old 02-21-2008, 02:20 AM

Sorry, I'm a little confused now, maybe I'm just not getting it...
It seems clear that on streamview drive itself there are some gang hangouts and so called "bad" places to be...
But then its also mentioned that since I'm on the family homes part, its fine.
Yet aren't they just a block away?
Why is it fine like that?
Cuz when someone says "bad" place, I think of burglaries, robberies, shootings, auto thefts, etc.
So is that what really happens there in the "bad" part of streamview?
If so, wouldn't the families living so near them (on the same street) become victims of these crimes since they are within reach? How could the families over there live peacefully?
Unless gangs don't even interact w/ them, if so, then what's so bad about them?
Thanks for all your feedbacks!
I'm learning so much from this forum!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego