Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-26-2010, 02:54 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,625 times

Advertisements

^^ There is an area in Carlsbad where several people who lived within the same area have or have gotten cancer. You can google it, there are a ton articles that will come up.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-26-2010, 02:55 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaat View Post
Look into La Costa. There are a lot of nice condos, and twin homes without an HOA, depending on your price point. It's close enough to Carlsbad, (technically it's south Carlsbad) but outside of where they surmise a cancer cluster to be. Don't buy in Carlsbad proper.

Furthermore, it's not like living in Oceanside, where it's a long, long haul to San Diego. It's just far enough away to be quiet, close enough to drive it comfortably.

Encinitas is much more expensive. You will get a lot more for your money in La Costa, it's more quiet, and only 10 minutes further from San Diego, 10 minutes closer to Carlsbad than Encinitas. We love it here. Look at the condos off of Alga. There are more condos near Alga and Altisma, more twin homes near Alga and Corinita, right up the hill.

Good luck.
Caat
La Costa is just as pricey if not more than most of Encinitas.

and the whole "cancer cluster" thing is just a bunch of upper middle class parents with nothing better to do than to try to blame the soil underneath a school for a statistically insignificant increase in cancer in that area.

They've already done tests, and the tests reflect that those people are crying wolf.

Old 09-26-2010, 02:58 PM

664 posts, read 1,946,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post

and the whole "cancer cluster" thing is just a bunch of upper middle class parents with nothing better to do than to try to blame the soil underneath a school for a statistically insignificant increase in cancer in that area.

They've already done tests, and the tests reflect that those people are crying wolf.
Not just the soil under a school but where neighborhoods were built.

Old 09-26-2010, 03:19 PM

8 posts, read 32,185 times
It does seem like Condos are a bit lower priced in La Costa that Encinitas from what we have seen so far. Is La Costa far enough inland to avoid most of the foggy days?

Old 09-26-2010, 03:58 PM

76 posts, read 215,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by runik View Post
Cancer cluster? Can you be specific please? Thats the area we are looking at.
Carlsbad Cancer Study

Cancer cluster carlsbad ca - Google Search

I think I remember hearing it's 3 miles in diameter from the distance of the power plant, but I can't remember. I'm sure it's somewhere in the links I just provided.

Caat

Old 09-26-2010, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by runik View Post
It does seem like Condos are a bit lower priced in La Costa that Encinitas from what we have seen so far. Is La Costa far enough inland to avoid most of the foggy days?
Yes. Far enough to avoid most of the May Grey and June Gloom, but not so far that it's that severe summer heat/winter cold like in Escondido.

Caat

Old 09-26-2010, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by djxpress View Post
That is simply not true. We spent the past two years looking extensively in Encinitas and La Costa and without question you get more for your money in La Costa.

Quote:

Yeah, because there would be no incentive for anybody to fudge tests or to lie.

Quote:
Not just the soil under a school but where neighborhoods were built.
Exactly.

Old 09-26-2010, 04:59 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,990,339 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigcaat View Post
That is simply not true. We spent the past two years looking extensively in Encinitas and La Costa and without question you get more for your money in La Costa.

Yeah, because there would be no incentive for anybody to fudge tests or to lie.
Exactly.
Maybe some areas, but La Costa has always been held in a higher esteem than Encinitas (though Encinitan may say otherwise).

And there would be no incentive for people to cry wolf, either? Hardly. These people are hopping on a bandwagon...just like people did in the Prius recall. All those Prius owners claimed that their brakes failed. Guess what the test results showed? Operator error...on EVERY single claim.

Do you know how many thousands of variables can be attributed to cancer? Trying to associate residents' cancer to a "bad" area of Carlsbad
after the test results have PROVEN otherwise is just ambulance chasing, plain and simple. As humans, we have been highly evolved to seek and recognize patterns in things, even if they are a coincidence and don't exist. Science is science, the test have proven that these people are mistaken. Now that they have proven that, these people are trying to come back and say "no, you tested the wrong area" or "you didn't test the soil deep enough" or whatever. Guess what? If the test results came back positive, these people would be praising the same exact agencies that they're poo-pooing now that the tests don't support their hyped up claims.

The fact is, the rate of cancer is increasing every year (WHO | Are the number of cancer cases increasing or decreasing in the world?) and I think the likely hood of a cluster of people who are genetically predisposed to get cancer is a lot more likely to occur than a cluster of people getting cancer from the soil in a specified area.

Here is a blurb from an NC Times article(http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/carlsbad/article_e12b046b-0d6a-5d33-b88c-04c9696ea9b6.html): (http://www.nctimes.com/news/local/carlsbad/article_e12b046b-0d6a-5d33-b88c-04c9696ea9b6.html%29: - broken link) "At one recent birthday party her younger daughter attended, three of the nine party attendees had a sibling who had cancer, Devich said, adding that "is just too many" to be normal."

And what is normal? 3 of 9 had a sibling who had cancer? So say hypothetically that each of the 9 children had 2 siblings, then out of 27 people, 3 of them had some form of cancer. Not such a large number now, is it? And the article doesn't mention how old the siblings who had cancer were or what type of cancer they had.

Quartarone said he knows of about 50 children or adults in Carlsbad who have had various kinds of cancer."

Various types of cancer, which could include skin cancer, but the author doesn't elaborate. If some of those people had skin cancer, being in Southern California, that's something that is pretty common. Plus, who here doesn't know people who have cancer? I know a ton of people who had the flu last year, does that mean there is a flu epidemic?

My point is that a lot of these articles are poorly researched, and a lot of the quotes that are included are just ridiculous. These journalists are writing the articles in a way that is intended to scare the reader, and it seems to be working.

Old 09-27-2010, 03:23 PM
JRE

70 posts, read 321,746 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by supafly323 View Post
Hello, I am hoping you might have some insight for me. My fiancee and I are both late 20s and moving to San Diego from Portland area. We are looking for a condo in North County.

Her parents are looking to buy a condo for us to live in that would double as a vacation home and/or primary residence for them as they get older and we move on to a SFH.

We all would like a community where there are amenities within walking distance or a short drive -- shopping, restaurants/bars. We don't need to be on the beach necessarily, but would like to be in North County as my fiancee and I both will be working in the Carlsbad area.

Do you have any recommendations for where we should focus our condo search? Budget is not a huge issue, but being relatively close to some activities and culture is. We would also like a newer condo and our very limited search to date has shown us that the closer to the beach you go, the older the vintage of the properties.

Thanks!
Our organization is currently investigating the reported cancer clusters in Carlsbad. Many in the community are concerned about the reported cancer cluster at Kelly Elementary School and surrounding neighborhood. Before you move to Carlsbad, post the location here and I'll check to see if we have any dumpsites in our files that are near where you are planning to move. Also, offices are sometimes built on top of old dumpsites. In what location of Carlsbad will you both be working?

Old 09-27-2010, 05:17 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,482,786 times
Here is a local blog I follow; it might be worth reading tons of data:

bubbleinfo.com | An insider's guide to North San Diego County Real Estate | Klinge Realty Blog by Jim Klinge

It is written by a Local Realtor who does not candy coat the data in North County.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego