Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-26-2010, 10:10 AM

4,630 posts, read 10,286,657 times

Advertisements

[quote=skeke;16399064]
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
Welfare and unemployment is the mainstay for most of the population living south of I-8.

I live south of I-8 as do many people I know and we are just like people north of I-8, gainfully employed, retired, self supporting types. Makes me wonder if you actually know anyone who lives in the enormous area of San Diego county that is south of I-8. People sometimes say the funniest things on this board.
LOL so true. These days anyone claiming the "south of the 8" as some far off land clearly still lives in a bygone era. That claim might have been true 30 years ago.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2010, 06:40 AM

6,579 posts, read 12,086,403 times
I'll agree that San Diego is one of the better places to live in the U.S., but I still prefer living in Japan. I do miss the weather in SD sometimes, we've been getting some strange weather this year in the Tokyo area. We had an extremely hot (and humid) summer and now we are having winter-like cold.

Old 10-27-2010, 11:02 AM

4,803 posts, read 10,185,494 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachrescue View Post
I have lived in SD since the 80's. Anyone who states that SD is the most desirable city in the U.S to live in has not lived here, and is making that statement based on a week long vacation at the right time of year. San Diego a border town with a leadership that has no clue on how to grow a city. Everything is SD is going down hill from public safety to business growth. There are homeless, gangs, car thief's. Welfare and unemployment is the mainstay for most of the population living south of I-8. There has been no job growth in at least 12 years. Housing is overrated the beaches are dirty and not maintained. If you compare Florida beaches to SD beaches, and I mean things like keeping a bathroom clean so you kid can go potty and feel safe, SD is a broke joke. Just as 04kl4nd says, good time for 2 years drinking in bars and hangin out in PB going to college. That is what keeps San Diego going, and the rents in PB overpriced, college kids wasting money. The north county is full of people who really don't spend money and don't grow the economy. Housing is still set to fall in north county as the current cost of housing is unsustainable. Earlyretirement as not lived here, and if you wanna puff about mello roos tax just wait until you start paying for police and fire protection, as the states and cities are running out of money. Remember government jobs in Cali mean big buck for tax payers. A California Fire Fighter makes 80 to 100k a years, the CHP makes 120 k with OT, on and on and on. Any one thata had a clue would not retire in SD.
Uh...Like many other posters have said in response, you obviously don't know San Diego very well if that's what you think. I know a lot of people who are employed, have families, make good money, and live good lives who live below the-8. That is one reason I don't believe you really live in San Diego. You said it's full of gangs and thiefs, but SD has been one of the top safest areas in the country for a long time. I don't think it's going down hill at all. It's maturing and becoming bigger. Yes, the mayor can make dumb decisions but every city has those problems. For people reading this thread, take BeachRescue's post with a grain of salt. It's not true.

I have always found it interesting that some posters don't post on certain boards until there is a negative thread, then they come out of hiding. Pathetic.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Most people I know in NorCal think SD is a great town to relax, party, and chill, but my friends from SD could never imagine living anywhere else and they hate the Bay Area
LOL I agree with your SD friends. I'm not a fan of the bay area.. I certainly don't want to live anywhere else either. I was born and raised here and have done a lot of traveling around the country and there is nowhere else I'd rather live than here. Yes there are many great cities, but San Diego is and will always be my home.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:28 PM

6,418 posts, read 8,292,105 times
Right.

That's kind of shallow thinking if you ask me. You grew up in a bubble and you don't think there's anything else out there.

Old 10-27-2010, 03:57 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,753,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
SD is great place to visit but living here gets old pretty quick if you are a grown up and you want to live in a grown up manner, i.e.: no roommates, buy a home, raise a family etc... SD loses its attractiveness. It is a place a lot of people pass through but rarely stay.
This coming from a New Yorker?!? As if young people move to NYC and stay forever? Uh, unless you are uber wealthy, is there a more transient place in America than NYC? Many people move there just to say they did it and get out after a few years.

Old 10-27-2010, 04:04 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,753,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Encinitan View Post
... you are one of the few!
This new poll released today finds that San Diego is the second-most popular city where people said they would like to live, if not where they are living now. New York City was both most popular and least popular, so go figure what it all means.

San Diego climbs higher on Harris popular city list - SignOnSanDiego.com
I love it.....I've followed this poll from the beginning and know it doesn't prove anything but it's kinda nice to be considered desirable. While NYC has taken first place every year except once, SD has placed 2nd more than any other city! It's cool to see LA and SF in the top 10, as well.

Full report here, including past rankings:
http://media.signonsandiego.com/news...10-20-2010.pdf

Old 10-27-2010, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 04kL4nD View Post
Right.

That's kind of shallow thinking if you ask me. You grew up in a bubble and you don't think there's anything else out there.
No I said I've traveled around all over the country. I choose San Diego. Your thinking is pretty close minded if you think others can't be happy in San Diego. It's not shallow at all. It's personal preference. I didn't grow up in a bubble either. I know there's other things out there because I aknowledged the Bay Area duh! You like the Bay Area, I like San Diego. Nothing shallow about that....

Old 10-29-2010, 10:18 PM

299 posts, read 1,133,294 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ontheGtrain View Post
SD is great place to visit but living here gets old pretty quick if you are a grown up and you want to live in a grown up manner, i.e.: no roommates, buy a home, raise a family etc... SD loses its attractiveness. It is a place a lot of people pass through but rarely stay.
Totally agree.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:20 PM

299 posts, read 1,133,294 times
I would die to live in SF or NYC. Surfing and Taco Tuesdays don't sustain my needs.

Old 10-29-2010, 10:31 PM

Then go to NYC and SF if you love it so much. Big city living is really overrated. You say you'll love it but once you get to know the places, you most likely won't. It seems people on City Data think Big city living is the best, but in the real world, most people aren't so shallow and picky.

San Diego is the best city in CA to raise a family. If you are expecting a vibrant single life, they yeah maybe SF or NYC are better, but SD is much better for families and outdoor activities and a better quality of life imo. Lots of grown ups as seen in this thread make their lives here. My parents, grandparents, aunts, uncles were all born and raised in San Diego and stayed and had kids. People love it here. get over it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego