Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-25-2010, 03:09 AM

2 posts, read 5,629 times

Advertisements

Everyone says that the way to get a job in SD is to go through a temp agency. Okay. So I signed up with Ultimate Staffing and Apple One staffing - only to learn that their clients don't want you unless you have recent experience. They sent me to Sedona Staffing, which promises more entry-level positions - I went in and interviewed with them, the woman I talked to said that hopefully she'd call back with a job for me in a couple weeks. Awesome!

Two weeks later, I've heard nothing...I've called and gotten voicemails, left messages, but it's not looking encouraging.

I am smart and competent and educated - OVEReducated for an administrative position, but there's nothing in my field and at this point I just want something to pay the bills. I don't have office experience but I KNOW I could learn, and be super, if only someone would hire me! Are there any temp agencies in San Diego that will actually call back and give you a chance, even if you don't have experience?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-25-2010, 08:46 AM

844 posts, read 2,101,984 times
Are you male? From my experience that can really hurt your chances at these places. My girlfriend was constantly getting assignments from Apple One, while I got absolutely nothing. I even called about the jobs she turned down & got the cold shoulder.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:15 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
Apple One has a very bad reputation. I've emailed my resume to every temp service in San Diego, and the only ones that have responded are Manpower, Express and ATI.

Old 10-25-2010, 12:18 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
These agencies really can't send someone with no experience out to their clients. The clients don't want to have to train people and if they are unhappy with who gets sent, the agency will lose business. There are so many people out there with office experience that your chances, unfortunately, aren't that good, as you are finding out. One has to have at least Microsoft Office skills (Word, Outlook, Powerpoint, Excel).

Old 10-25-2010, 10:37 PM

176 posts, read 635,118 times
Manpower for tech jobs
Volt is also good
Nelson for video game jobs
I don't remember the one SOE uses.

Just say you have limited experience in whatever field you are looking for. Everyone does things a different way, and you can always say "Oh, we used a different system at my previous location, mind giving me a quick rundown?"

Old 10-26-2010, 10:47 AM

I have over 40 years as an administrative assistant, and get nowhere with temp agencies. And yes, I can use Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Oracle, etc.

Old 10-26-2010, 11:22 AM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
I have over 40 years as an administrative assistant, and get nowhere with temp agencies. And yes, I can use Word, Excel, Powerpoint, Oracle, etc.
It might be the age discrimination thing going on in your case if you have 40 years of administrative assistant experience and can't get even a temp job (sorry to say). I hope that the temp agencies are marketing your education, skills and experience in a positive way and not turning your years of experience into a liability. I've found that some temp agencies are liars at best. They lie about the following: positions being open (when really they're not), pay (they will advertise one rate, but when you go in for the position, suddenly, it's a lower rate), they also lie about the job responsibilities/duties. I've had both good and bad experiences with temp agencies when I was doing administrative assistant work as I was transitioning between jobs and/or moved to a new location. Some temp agencies were great, others were very flakey.

Re-check your resume and make sure that there aren't things on there that might make you appear old and outdated (i.e. year you graduated from high school, year graduated from college, etc.). Don't go back more than 15 years in your work experience. You might have to re-do your resume and send an updated one to the various agences, or better yet, schedule an appointment in person and take your resume in and make sure that you are looking sharp. No one expects a perfect model look, but make sure your hair cut is current, colored, make-up used to enhance look (not detract), and a good-looking, good fitting business suit. I'm not saying that it has to be a corporate type suit, but a professional outfit that will make you look capable and accomplished. Same goes for shoes, handbag, and accessories.

Make sure that your attitude is positive, happy, and forward looking. Play their game is what I'm saying. Getting a job in today's economy is somewhat like playing a game. After all the aforementioned is accomplished, take time to get to know the personnel at the temp agency. Send them a thank you card for seeing you, etc. You will see results from schmoozing.

I wish you the best.

Last edited by Donna7; 10-26-2010 at 11:40 AM..

Old 10-26-2010, 05:12 PM

All the temp agencies that I've applied with have not responded at all with the exception of the ones that I mentioned. That's why I work security/event security until I'm back in the office. Security companies don't care about your age or what you look like, you're just a body in a uniform for their client.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:20 PM

2,016 posts, read 5,206,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
All the temp agencies that I've applied with have not responded at all with the exception of the ones that I mentioned. That's why I work security/event security until I'm back in the office. Security companies don't care about your age or what you look like, you're just a body in a uniform for their client.
I'm glad that you have the security job while you are looking to get back in admin. work. Wishing all the best for you.

Old 10-26-2010, 05:29 PM

I've never been fond of temp agencies in the first place. The only decent one here is the one that has the county contract for clerical. They don't have a website, only one liners in the telephone book. Their advertising is done by word of mouth, so I'm hoping for a temp county job. I worked security in a county building in 2006, and several employees told me about them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego