Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-30-2010, 04:53 PM

145 posts, read 490,648 times

Advertisements

What would be the safest city in San Diego to raise a family if money were not an issue? A town that has culture, but also in a QUIET area. We had mentioned Cardiff, but someone had said La Jolla would be better for our needs. What about Del Mar, would this be a good fir for us? We are hoping someone might be able to help accomodate our needs.
We are predominately looking for a very nice and quiet suburban neighborhood, where crime is at its lowest. Looking for a home between 4-5M. We love going to the Opera, Theater, Classical concerts, Ballet, Golfing, Hiking, Surfing, Art Movies(i.e. Foreign language films). We prefer to live in suburban areas, and would like to live as close to the ocean as possible. Our primary object though, is to find a nice quiet beach town, which would be the equivalent of Newport Beach or Laguna Beach in San Diego(if such a place exists). It doesn't need to have the activities that we mentioned above, but needs to be relatively close to them(30 minutes or less).
Some had mentioend that La Jolla would be perfect, but would Del mar work for us as well?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-30-2010, 08:12 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,481,675 times
Coronado.

Old 10-31-2010, 02:42 AM

34 posts, read 150,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vox View Post
What would be the safest city in San Diego to raise a family if money were not an issue? A town that has culture, but also in a QUIET area. We had mentioned Cardiff, but someone had said La Jolla would be better for our needs. What about Del Mar, would this be a good fir for us? We are hoping someone might be able to help accomodate our needs.
We are predominately looking for a very nice and quiet suburban neighborhood, where crime is at its lowest. Looking for a home between 4-5M. We love going to the Opera, Theater, Classical concerts, Ballet, Golfing, Hiking, Surfing, Art Movies(i.e. Foreign language films). We prefer to live in suburban areas, and would like to live as close to the ocean as possible. Our primary object though, is to find a nice quiet beach town, which would be the equivalent of Newport Beach or Laguna Beach in San Diego(if such a place exists). It doesn't need to have the activities that we mentioned above, but needs to be relatively close to them(30 minutes or less).
Some had mentioend that La Jolla would be perfect, but would Del mar work for us as well?
I think La Jolla would be a good fit if you don't mind fog. Del Mar has a little less fog, and would also be a good. Rancho Santa Fe could be your best fit, but it's about 5 miles from the ocean. It has better weather than La Jolla & Del Mar (unless you prefer cooler weather) and has a number of beautiful gated communities with very good security (24/7 guarded gates, etc).

Old 10-31-2010, 09:19 AM

^Thank you so much for your reply. We prefer COOLER climates, and LESS fog.Are there any guard gated communities that are also oceanfront communities in La Jolla or Del Mar? If so, could someone please mention these and maybe a good agent they would recommend?I know Laguna Beach has Emerald Bay, Three Arch Bay, and a number of other ones. Does La Jolla or Del Mar offer such a community? Also, we would love a community that is VERY SLOW PACED. I know its kind of an oxymoron since many of the people who gravitate to these types of places tend to be high intense individuals, but another friend of ours mentioned Leucadia/Encinitas would fit that bill for us, and said that it is very slow paced. Can someone comment on this? Does Encinitas have any guard gated oceanfront communities?
Also, we have annual passes to the San Diego Opera, San Diego Zoo, Wild Animal Park, Lux Art Institute, and Scripps Aquarium, and tend to visit quite frequently.

Also, comparted to Del Mar, La Jolla and Encinitas/Leucadia, how long would it take to drive to the Zoo and the Opera?

Old 10-31-2010, 09:22 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,571,475 times
I'm not sure there is a Newport Beach or Laguna Beach in coastal San Diego county. Coronado has some similarities to Balboa Island. La Jolla and Newport Beach have similarities too.

Old 10-31-2010, 10:25 AM

Which community would you consider to be slower paced and mellow as far as the individuals that live there is concerened. Would you say,Encintas or Del Mar. I really like Encinitas for its 'laid back' feel, and of course, "Swami's" is one of the greatest surfing spots on the planet. It looks like a very nice community.

Old 10-31-2010, 12:39 PM

34 posts, read 150,564 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Vox View Post
Which community would you consider to be slower paced and mellow as far as the individuals that live there is concerened. Would you say,Encintas or Del Mar. I really like Encinitas for its 'laid back' feel, and of course, "Swami's" is one of the greatest surfing spots on the planet. It looks like a very nice community.
Eninitas has a more casual vibe than Del Mar or La Jolla. More surfer, less Gucci.

Old 10-31-2010, 06:17 PM

^ That is definetely what we prefer. I am looking online and it appears there are guard gated communities in Encinitas, but it looks like these are in New Encinitas. Are there ANY guard gated beach communities , or do these just not exist in Encinitas?

Old 11-01-2010, 07:57 AM

111 posts, read 328,014 times
I would think the safest would be La Jolla and Del Mar. Encinitas depends on what area.

Old 11-01-2010, 09:58 AM

^ So, all of La Jolla and Del Mar is excellent as far as the area is concerned, is that correct? The Encinitas area we like would be Leucadia. If we lived in any of these areas, would it be safe to take our dogs for a walk at night? We always use to do this in Newport and Laguna, and always felt very safe doing so. Safety is without a doubt #1 concern, followed by a place that is VERY QUIET. Ideally, we would like to find a home in a beach town that resembles "Local Hero", if anyone remembers that classic Burt Lancaster film, that is what I was freffering to. A place that almost feels like time stands still and harkons back to the 60's, is an excellent and safe neighborhood, and as some art culture.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego