Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 08:34 AM

63 posts, read 173,089 times

Advertisements

Hello,

My husband and I are relocating to San Diego. My husband will be working in Rancho Bernardo and I will be a stay-at-home mom for the next year or so, after which I hope to work. We are currently considering Carlsbad and Solana Beach. Solana Beach seems to be more conveniently located because it is close the the 56 and more convenient to the San Diego metro area.

My question is: Does Solana Beach have a strong community feeling? It is hard to tell from just driving around and looking at houses. Carlsbad seems to have a central community area in the village, but I am not sure about Carlsbad. Also, are there lots of young families around or is it more retirees/single people?

Thanks!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 09:00 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,573,472 times
"strong community feeling" is relative. The easiest way to answer your question is rent for a while. You'll change your mind about what's important to you once you live here. We did. We didn't buy a house anywhere near our originally targeted areas. San Diego is a very complex place and impossible to figure out without living here.

Old 11-03-2010, 09:13 AM

3,464 posts, read 5,261,238 times
Both have a community feel. Solana Beach has the Cedros district, which is bustling on weekends, and there's a farmer's market near there. I think Solana Beach is hipper personally. There's also Encinitas nearby -- a cute downtown with restaurants and shops. In the end, I think they will be relatively similar to one another. Carlsbad has a lot of families, but not near the downtown area -- rather, east of the 5, where all the newer developments are. Some of those neighborhoods also have neighborhood clubhouses with events where families meet. Carlsbad does have terrific infrastructure with regards to shopping and such. I'd be happy in any of those places.

Old 11-03-2010, 01:49 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
SB is a true beach community and all that entails, and Carlsbad is really the burbs, although it is still on the ocean. Both have great areas and some iffy parts, as do all areas in SD, probably with the exception of Ranch Santa Fe.

Encinitas is more upper middle class, with a beach vibe on the west side (Old Encinitas), which is a walkable area...Lumberyard, will open a Whole Foods there very soon. New Encinitas, east of the 5, is a mix, homes, plenty of shopping, etc. The Coaster train has a stop in Encinitas. Carlsbad Forum shopping center is right there. Lots of strip malls too along El Camino Real. Right next to Rancho Santa Fe and Olivenhain (very wealthy areas).

Carlsbad would be a much longer and harder commute to RB but anytime you are travelling from the west (5) to the east (15), it is considered a bad commute.

Unless you are completely sold on living on the coast, you might consider Poway and Scripps Ranch, which would give you a pretty good commute to RB. Both are very family oriented areas. Carlsbad really isn't a great place for singles, mostly families and retirees.

I would recommend renting too because each town has its own nuances and vibe, so it's better to wait and see where you really fit in best.

Old 11-03-2010, 05:18 PM

Thanks for all of the comments! I didn't mention it in my original post, but my husband will be working once a week or more in Irvine, which is why we thought it would be good to live in Solana Beach or Carlsbad.

I'll have to tell my husband that Carlsbad is a suburb by the sea. That will make his decision for him....he does not want to live in the burbs, lol!

Old 11-03-2010, 07:05 PM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejack726 View Post
Thanks for all of the comments! I didn't mention it in my original post, but my husband will be working once a week or more in Irvine, which is why we thought it would be good to live in Solana Beach or Carlsbad.

I'll have to tell my husband that Carlsbad is a suburb by the sea. That will make his decision for him....he does not want to live in the burbs, lol!
If he doesn't want to live in the suburbs, then you might want to rethink living in North County, because North County is just a suburb of San Diego. I don't see a big difference between Carlsbad, Encinitas, or Solana Beach. They're pretty similar, actually.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:05 AM

Hmm, ok, it sounds like people think we should rent first. It's not a bad idea, although we really wanted to get settled with a house. We are about to have our first baby and were hoping to get settled before the baby arrives, but I wouldn't want to buy and then realize later that the neighborhood wasn't right for us.

To Encinitan: My husband does hate suburbs, but we do like living on the coast! I think he mainly dislikes the feeling of "tract housing" where all the houses are close together and they look the same.

Old 11-09-2010, 08:17 AM

2,160 posts, read 5,852,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by applejack726 View Post
To Encinitan: My husband does hate suburbs, but we do like living on the coast! I think he mainly dislikes the feeling of "tract housing" where all the houses are close together and they look the same.
Ok, then be aware that there is tract housing with all the houses squeezed in next to each other in both Encinitas and Solana Beach. Both cities also have more spread out custom lots, too. I grew up in Solana Beach (I'm 40 now) and now live in Encinitas, so I know the area quite well.

Old 11-09-2010, 10:22 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,847,756 times
well, California is the mother of track housing so you will find that everywhere. But both areas, Carlsbad and Encinitas have streets with older homes (I mean built in the 80's) that aren't like your typical track housing. there's really a variety, beach houses, older homes, condos, typical track housing, etc. I think you'll eventually find something you like...but renting first is the best way. It's really a hodge podge of architecture (if I can call it that)..but alot of spanish-style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego