Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-27-2010, 09:35 AM

5 posts, read 6,296 times

Advertisements

Hi all,

I am thinking of relocating from Barcelona, Spain to San Diego for a couple of years. I will be working in a bio tech company in Sorrento valley and the salary offered is around $115,000.

My issues are most regarding housing. I am 25 and a single male. I would like to leave in a peaceful area but still close to the downtown, has places to go partying etc but not paying through the roof and if possible relatively close to the office.

Other issue is that I feel is that would require a car to get around? Can that be avoided, is the public transport reliable? I don't own a car in barcelona (never needed one) and have driven very occasionally. And if i must buy one, any suggestions on that front?

More questions later.

Thanks everyone.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-27-2010, 10:24 AM

5,024 posts, read 7,575,311 times
It's very hard to live in San Diego without a car. Compared to most large cities, San Diego is very spread out with limited public transportation. Try renting a car for your first month here.

As for an a apartment, Pacific Beach (PB) sounds like it may be a good fit. Lots of nightlife with a 15-20 minute commute to Sorrento Valley.

Here's a sample PB rental: PB Spacious Townhouse (http://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/apa/2081749506.html - broken link)

Old 11-28-2010, 06:48 AM

I looked at PB and La Jolla areas. But these look to be a long commute to me requiring a car. Not that I can't drive but not used to it, and would like to avoid it atleast in the beginning.

Mira Mesa looks close and maybe i can even use a bike to commute. But is it a good area to stay?

Old 11-28-2010, 10:41 PM

134 posts, read 309,998 times
San Diego is a car oriented area, and Sorrento Valley is a very non-walkable, office park oriented place. Living in San Diego without a car is, I'd guess, like living in Barcelona without shoes. You should get used to the idea of owning a car and driving it to work if you want to enjoy life here.

Sorrento Valley is a good location - within commuting distance you can live in San Diego's walkable communities around Balboa Park, or in a beach town in North County, or anywhere in between. You might want to rent a place short term near your office, and then spend time exploring different locations (with your new car).

Old 12-01-2010, 08:44 AM

hmm, looks like I need to practice my driving here.

Btw, how common is playing football (soccer) in San diego.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:32 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
You're not going to be able to live close to the office without sacrificing all the other stuff you said you're looking for..

You can take the commuter train to Sorrento Valley. If you live downtown or in one of the central areas (South Park, North Park, Golden Hill, University Heights, Mission Hills, Hillcrest, Banker's Hill) you could easily take a bus to the downtown train station, or ride a bike. Those areas are also easily navigable via foot or bicycle to get to the grocery store, bar, farmers' market, and to move between all the neighborhoods I just mentioned.

If you wanted to live farther east, like La Mesa or Lemon Grove (more suburbia, not real walkable, not as much going on- it sounds like you'd be happier in the central part of town) you could take the trolley to the downtown train station.

Mission valley would be a viable option as far as your commute (trolley -> train station) but you'd need a car to do just about anything else.

You would probably still want some sort of vehicle (or a friend who drives) for when you want to go to the mall or the beach or whatnot.

Old 12-01-2010, 02:33 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,032,587 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by el_cule View Post
Btw, how common is playing football (soccer) in San diego.
Not as common as you'd hope! I know some folks that play, but most folks are into American Football.

Old 12-02-2010, 09:00 PM

As the consensus is that a car is required, can someone point me to how to buy a used but decent car. Are there any trustworthy or recommended dealers/shops?

Thanks again

Old 12-02-2010, 10:25 PM

1,471 posts, read 3,339,744 times
the weather is great year around. You could get a scooter or motorcycle. I love Motorsport Scooters in North Park (moving soon closer to downtown). They have an excellent reputation.

Old 12-02-2010, 10:28 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,174,412 times
I see people on Vespas a lot.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego