Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-11-2007, 10:23 AM

6 posts, read 64,516 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone, I will try to keep this as short as I can.
My husband and I are moving to CA (MCAS Miramar) from Ohio. We have a son who is only 5 1/2 months old. We will also be bringing a HUGE dog (English Mastiff) and a cat with us as well.
My problem is...where to live!!!!??? I have been doing some research, but I am SO confused on crime rates and which areas are nice and which aren’t so nice.
We will be trying to live in military housing (Murphy Canyon I have heard is pretty good option). However, we may not get in military housing due to the waiting lists. So we are trying to find areas to look in for renting a house or apartment in, should we need to go that route.
We will have about $1400-$1500 to spend per month on rent alone (not including utilities). We don’t need anything fancy, just something in a safe neighborhood, and a reasonable commute to the base (don’t know if highways are all jammed for hours at rush hour or not there). My husband just does not want to be driving an hour to work each way. Ya know?

Schools aren’t an issue really, as we will probably only be there for three years and our son isn’t even one year old yet.

I was told by someone to look into the Mira Mesa area, but then another persona said it was high crime there. I also read another post on here about Murphy Canyon (it is on the military housing list. so is it a housing unit, or a neighborhood/area???) And Tierrasanta...but I have heard it is very expensive there. Also Lakeside, I have heard is a good place to look if we are going to be on Miramar. I did an apt search on rent.com and it gave me some places that were 11 miles from there in a place called El Cojon...what about that area?

Sorry that I have SO many questions, but I am moving there in less than 3 months, and we do not have ANY clue about any areas there. I have tried to do my own research online, but the statistics confuse me, and I can not decipher what is a high crime rate number and what is 'normal'. ugh...so stressful!

I am excited to be coming to SD area though...never been...I think I am going to LOVE it there...but getting to know some areas around there first is my plan. I don’t mind living in SD, as long as I will be safe and my husband can get to work within an hour.

ANY input or advice anyone can give me??? Thanks in advance...it is much appreciated!!!

Last edited by kdjohnson; 07-11-2007 at 10:28 AM.. Reason: correct typos
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-11-2007, 11:08 AM

17 posts, read 76,851 times
Default North county costal

I would recommend Encinitas,Ca. I have lived in cardiff-by-the -sea for 9 years i like the area alot. the problem with miramar/Mera mesa is IMO (not very nice relative to cost of rent) why live 7 miles form ocean when it could be 2 miles.

My friend just move to the village park apts very nice/ the price is just unbeatable. clearly. 1200 for a 2 bed room. I pay 1485 for the same square footage.

Ok the drive to miramar wil be a bit long from enicintas 45min. but I think its worth it. look into this. apt its in a great neigborhood.

There is not point im coming to california paying 1000-1500 a month rent and living 12-25 miles from the ocean. (al those inland areas you have mentioned Lake side/ Santee/ El Cajon) they are getto. Hot, polution. there have cheaper homes but if your renting not much diff. If you move out there you wont see the ocean more than 2 times a month.

take advantage of the oppertunity to live a in a great area.

Village Park Apartments (http://thevillageparkapts.com/calendar.asp?AID=13709 - broken link)

Old 07-11-2007, 11:53 AM

840 posts, read 6,515,801 times
Yes, the waiting list for Murphy Canyon can take awhile. I remember as a kid, we had to wait maybe a year or two before we got a place there. That was back when it was Navy. It's a huge military community. With the remodels a few years ago when the Marines took over, they look really nice and are worth the wait. Murphy Canyon is actually a community divided into phases (Phase 1, Phase 2, etc.). Last time I remember there are 4 phases total. Tierrasanta/Murphy Canyon would make the most sense for your family since the base is right next to the area, and you said you can afford $1,400 - $1,500. Sometimes you'll get lucky and find a place in the area for around $1,500 but rent in the area is usually $2,000 for a house. Condos/apartments are a little cheaper and they may or may not accept pets. Tierrasanta/Murphy Canyon is one of the safest neighborhoods in San Diego County and from my previous posts about the area, I highly recommend it.

Also, have you considered actually living on base? Can't get much safer than that.

Old 07-11-2007, 12:19 PM

6 posts, read 64,516 times
Thank you guys for the input. I have looked into housing ON Miramar (base housing), but the waiting list for there is even longer than Murphy Canyon. On base, there are single family homes (which we 'qualify' to live in) that woudl give us enough room and allow pets, but the waiting list is even longer than Murphy Canyon, from what I have heard. There are only 16 units that we qualify for based on my husband's rank and the need for 2 or 3 bedrooms. So it seems liek it will be more difficult to get on base. But we are also putting our names on that list as well. Like I said, we are just trying to cover our bases.

As far as living 45 minutes away from work...I am doubting my hsband will go for that.

So Lakeside is ghetto??? I hear it was nice.
You are saying Mera Mesa is nice??? I know it is a bigger city and all have 'good' and 'bad' areas, but I heard that it was alot of ghetto there...like alot of gang wars and alot of theft/robbery there. True???

I am SO confused on where to live. I know everyoen has their opinions, and views...it's just so hard to find a place wihtout knowing the area at all.

So Murphy Canyon is a good area to look into?

Do you have any specific areas (city names maybe) that I shoudl try looking into as well???

Old 07-11-2007, 01:25 PM

840 posts, read 6,515,801 times
Lakeside is not ghetto, well there are parts of it. I know a family that lives out there and they live in a very nice neighborhood (expensive homes). So it's a mix like many other areas of the city. Mira Mesa has the highest gang crimes in all of San Diego but there are nice parts as well. Gangs are an issue but not like L.A. There are gang rivals and a shooting can happen anywhere, even at a Taco Bell or McDonalds.

It's good that you're putting your names on more than one list.

Murphy Canyon homes are duplex style but have divided fenced yards and many have dogs. I even remember one house had a Great Dane when I lived there. Also, the homes each have atleast 2 bedrooms. It's a mix of single story and two stories. Here's an overview of Tierrasanta. Schools are all within walking distance.

Tierrasanta, San Diego, California - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 07-12-2007, 11:21 PM

6 posts, read 42,781 times
Dear kdjohnson,

As a native of san diego and having grown up in one of the most crime infested parts of SD, I can tell you the places to avoid: City Heights, North Park, Barrio Logan, and anything south of City Heights, meaning stay away from the TJ border as possible. San Diego is a huge county for lots of neighborhoods and each area has its own unique flavor.

For a small, military family such as yours I would recommend in this order: Tierrasanta, Scripps Ranch, Rancho Penasquitos, Carmel (pricey but very safe) Clairemont (freeway distance from Miramar Base), Mission Valley, certain parts of Mira Mesa (true, it is getting prone to crimes such as car burglary). In addition you have the north county area which has a large military and Hispanic population. I don't have much experience up north as my work and school is mostly in the central/metro part of San Diego.

Good luck in your search and welcome to the neighborhood =)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego