Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-30-2010, 12:31 PM

52 posts, read 147,048 times

Advertisements

Hello everyone,
My husband who has been a Domino's Pizza franchisee for over 25 years is considering selling his store in S.F Bay Area, and look for work in San Diego. (A few of you have seen my previous thread on safe neighborhoods...)
So, what do you think? He is HIGHLY experienced in the fast food restaurant field, is a very young, healthy energetic, hard working 53 year old who can work a 55 hour week with no problem. Has fantastic work ethic, but we are finding that owning ANY food business is honestly a money loser.
He is sick of "paying to work", and believes SOMEONE out there will see his vast experience in the industry and hopefully hire in a managerial position. What do we want as income? Nothing special - just enough to pay for rent and necessities. Perhaps $4,000/ month.
I add to the income, but won't say, as not to tip off the competition in San Diego. But it's successful in the tourist area we live in, and has to do with kids.
I believe it can be easily transferred to San Diego.

We're in a pickle, because he needs to sell the store, and still see if anyone is willing to consider him, although we are 10 hours away. He had an excellent resume writer finish his resume.

Too bad Domino's Pizza Corp doesn't do more to help franchisees make money. In fact, we've dipped into savings repeatedly to support the CEO's pocketbook. We're so through.

Any thoughts?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-30-2010, 01:10 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,577,764 times
CNBC did a recent special program on franchising and how tough it is to be a profitable franchisee. I certainly wouldn't want to own a food franchise these days.

Going from being self-employed to corporate soldier will be a tough transition. Maybe he should consider working for a franchisor as an internal resource. Maybe a regional manager or territory developer. Or maybe franchise sales. To the right employer, his extensive franchise experience is very valuable.

Old 12-30-2010, 01:48 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,852,035 times
Well, not to discourage you but realistically he's 53 years old so he might have a problem getting hired into any kind of management position. And in today's economic world experience is, sadly, highly overrated. It's doubly hard for a man in his 50's to get hired. Fast food places here, all I see are Hispanics as managers and workers, they pretty much own that industry here...so if you are Hispanic that is in your favor.

He might want to try some of the better restaurants too. There are alot of them and he might have a better chance of making some money. As you are aware, the restaurant business is risky anywhere and typically low paying. These restaurants come and go quicky in the town I live in (Encinitas) but we have all the franchises and they have been there for many years. I heard that Chic-Fil-A is opening there soon. Maybe he could send his resume to their corporate offices. Ironically, pizza seems to be the most stable. Honestly, I wouldn't move here unless you both have jobs.

Old 12-30-2010, 08:42 PM

Yes, good advise. The plus side to his age - his looks like he's in his 40's, good looking and has a fantastic resume for the industry. We're workin' on it! And we certainly aren't going to do anything until he has a concrete position. It's hard when your business is essentially losing about $2,000 a month - before we know it, we'll be $75,000 in the hole- his dad just bailed us out of $225,000 a year and 1/2 ago-!!!! It's sickening. And it's 99% business debt - not personal.
I have the utmost confidence he'll be exactly what someone is looking for. I know there are some stable franchises that he could feel good about representing....

Old 12-30-2010, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
CNBC did a recent special program on franchising and how tough it is to be a profitable franchisee. I certainly wouldn't want to own a food franchise these days.

Going from being self-employed to corporate soldier will be a tough transition. Maybe he should consider working for a franchisor as an internal resource. Maybe a regional manager or territory developer. Or maybe franchise sales. To the right employer, his extensive franchise experience is very valuable.
Yes, we saw that too. He TOTALLY related with the Coldstone story.
The good thing - I don't want to say who, but a franchise already in existence down there will be expanding five more stores in San Diego 2011. Perhaps he could join in - but wonder if they pay decent. We shall see.....

Old 12-30-2010, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by magsterly View Post
Yes, we saw that too. He TOTALLY related with the Coldstone story.
The good thing - I don't want to say who, but a franchise already in existence down there will be expanding five more stores in San Diego 2011. Perhaps he could join in - but wonder if they pay decent. We shall see.....
Looks like CNBC received a nastygram from Cold Stone's lawyer:
CNBC Shelves Cold Stone Story after Zarco Attacks | BlueMauMau

Old 12-30-2010, 11:37 PM

241 posts, read 713,293 times
Can someone link the report? Sounds interesting.

Old 12-31-2010, 12:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daveydoe View Post
Can someone link the report? Sounds interesting.
News Headlines

I don't think CNBC will be airing the show again.

Old 12-31-2010, 02:16 AM

241 posts, read 713,293 times
Thanks, I tracked it down on isohunt

Old 12-31-2010, 09:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
Looks like CNBC received a nastygram from Cold Stone's lawyer:
CNBC Shelves Cold Stone Story after Zarco Attacks | BlueMauMau
Ahhhh, the freedom of speech we enjoy in America! Can't get better than this.
oooooooh, better not speak against the ALMIGHTY CEO of any franchise!!!
That's OK, the man behind the complaint of Coldstone is an attorney himself.

And, no, I'm sure the station will not air anything like that again, just stick to the usual helpful, educational programs like "Lockup Raw" and "catching a predator" and their usual obsession with women sex in jails and pedophiles....
Don't get me started with CNBC - which is why I was shocked to see such normal and interesting programming that evening with the "truth behind franchises."
Everything they said was totally on the mark.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego