Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-16-2011, 09:18 AM

43 posts, read 67,530 times

Advertisements

Thank you for this post. I'm looking to relocate to SD from Seattle, WA. A fresh, new start is needed for me. I too, have been apprehensive, being that I would be starting over at age 33 after being established up here. Reading your experiences gives me more hope
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-16-2011, 12:30 PM

13 posts, read 20,167 times
Wow – so many inspiring posts. It’s very encouraging to know that people are in the *same* boat as me. Somehow after reading this thread, the reality of relocating from Virginia to SD seems closer and closer. The fact that I’ve been living well below my means has helped me learn to survive on very little and I’m realizing with proper forthought and a plan, this relocation won’t be nearly as abysmal as people would make it out to be.

I’m excited about finding a cool little house to share with roommates – I feel like moving across country with no friends or family will require me to get to know people so I can get plugged into the social pipeline – and having new roommates makes that a heckuva lot easier and much less lonely at home. I mean, I’ve seen 2 and 3BR houses on Craigslist for rent forlike $1600-$2000…split that 3 ways and it’s much cheaper than having your own place.

Again, thanks for the encouragement everybody!

Old 02-16-2011, 05:09 PM

5,139 posts, read 8,850,891 times
Default not having to worry all winter he is going to catch some nasty cold!

huh???? I hope you realize that people in SD do get colds and the flu and sinus and allergies and all other types of illnesses, just the same as everywhere.

Old 02-17-2011, 07:29 AM

1,322 posts, read 4,238,441 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndividual View Post
Thank you for this post. I'm looking to relocate to SD from Seattle, WA. A fresh, new start is needed for me. I too, have been apprehensive, being that I would be starting over at age 33 after being established up here. Reading your experiences gives me more hope
this thread has given me some much needed hope as well. i turned this year and was starting to think that it was too late. i am too established where i currently live with a wife, cush gov't job, house.....but still...not content.

Old 02-17-2011, 05:25 PM

593 posts, read 1,411,829 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
huh???? I hope you realize that people in SD do get colds and the flu and sinus and allergies and all other types of illnesses, just the same as everywhere.

Whooping cough is making a comeback here too.

Last edited by scratchNsniff; 02-17-2011 at 05:45 PM..

Old 02-17-2011, 05:50 PM

I'm gonna present another side to the "SD leap of faith" story, this probably wouldn't happen to anybody but me, I have the best of luck and the worst of luck sometimes!!

I also made a leap of faith move to SD in late 2009. I rented a place sight unseen off of craigslist and everything was going great. Yeah there are some prostitutes walking around ECB and lots of homeless, but you get used to them all after awhile (which only contributes to the problem). I got a great job that paid more than double what I had previously been making in AZ AND it was a work from home thing too, so not having a commute was great!! Everything was going great!! I was living in paradise, had a great job, great house!!!

But then I got this killer headache one night while out in Solana Beach at a bar. I drove home (not the wisest of decisions I realize now), went to the ER and spent 2 weeks at UCSD medical center for some horrific hereditary brain thing that almost killed me. I had no benefits at my job, which was temporary and ended while I was in the hospital (I lost out on some serious overtime too) and because I had been paid well and had some money in savings, I did not qualify for MediCal or medicaid or any help. And while I was loopy on pain meds they asked me about my finances and I totally over exaggerated things!! So now I have 200k+ in debt, not able to work a full-time job & no family out here to help out or move in with, I just can't afford it and will be moving back to Phoenix. Yuck.

I could've swung it out here I think, but with my diminished abilities now (which are thankfully starting to come back but I'm nowhere near 100%) and because I had a work from home thing I didn't really make many friends who I could burden with things like taking me to the doctor, putting up with my anger issues and impulsiveness and a thousand other crazy things that occur with a brain injury, I don't think it's going to be possible to stay here.

But I look at it this way: I moved out here for a vague reason, maybe it was to get the best care with the best neurologists at UCSD who would save my life and not leave me totally disabled or dead.

Old 02-17-2011, 06:51 PM

425 posts, read 958,814 times
Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through that. That actually is more motivation to those of us who dream of living in SD. Because you never know whats going to happen, and you never want to look back and say "What if I at least tried..." at least you tried and when you fully recover, and I sure hope you do, you can take a second try at it.

For now get well, because even living in paradise means nothing if your seriously ill.

Old 02-18-2011, 10:09 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by scottykick View Post
Wow, I'm sorry you had to go through that. That actually is more motivation to those of us who dream of living in SD. Because you never know whats going to happen, and you never want to look back and say "What if I at least tried..." at least you tried and when you fully recover, and I sure hope you do, you can take a second try at it.

For now get well, because even living in paradise means nothing if your seriously ill.
+ My thoughts exactly. To they pp I hope things work out for you!

Old 02-18-2011, 04:51 PM

Yes indeed, my post is meant to be mostly positive, everything went well for me except something that was inevitably going to catch up with me anywhere I was. I was just unfortunate enough to be far away from loved ones & friends at the time.

It's just some food for thought.

But I was also fortunate enough to be close to a high-caliber teaching hospital such as UCSD, so even that is a positive thing for moving out here!!!

Old 02-19-2011, 04:52 PM

95 posts, read 409,196 times
Default Sd

Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I'm all for change and moving to a city you really enjoy but with 2 school age kids I'd say my advice would be not to make a permanent move until you find a job. The unemployment rate is very high in that area so unless you have PLENTY of savings I'd say have a good plan.

If you have plenty of savings then I'd say you could try it out but I've met plenty of people that don't really have a good plan, move to a city with no job lined up and things don't go so well.

Probably if you were young and single with no kids it's worth a "leap of faith" but with kids that really changes the picture.
Yorkjec, I completely agree with the above poster! However, do not be discouraged. Be patient and continue working on your plan. Don't move here until you find a good job that replaces your salary. My situation was completely different than yours. When I moved to San Diego, I didn't have children.

If I had children back then, I'm certain my resolve to move here would have remained equally undeterred; however, my plan would have centered around making the uprooting process as simple as reasonably possible for my children--even if that would have meant postponing the eventual relocation date.

"Uprooting," "relocating," and "moving" are all labels that inherently contain negative and difficult connotations. And while this may generally be true, I personally don't believe this is the case when considering a move to San Diego with a spouse and/or children.

Many San Diego communities have some of the best schools in the nation. Go to GreatSchools - Public and Private School Ratings, Reviews and Parent Community, plug in San Diego, and see for yourself. Poway Unified School district is a nationally recognized public school system known for educational excellence and sending its graduates to colleges in high numbers.

If you maintain a positive outlook, the task of fulfilling this dream of yours will not appear so daunting. The single most critical step is getting past the "dreaming of San Diego" stage and progressing to the "actively planning your move" to San Diego stage.

Maintain focus, patience, and work your plan according to your personal circumstances. The simple act of taking regular action in this direction will make you feel better, encourage you, and create new energy and ideas once not available to you. Best of luck to you!

AJ
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego