Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2011, 07:41 PM

9 posts, read 28,484 times

Advertisements

Hello!

I don't have much experience with car registrations..... I purchased my car in Delaware in 2008 I believe. I moved to CA a couple of months ago and it is my understanding that they expect you to register the car within 10 or 12 days.

While I found the forms online, I don't know much about the process. For example, when you go in, do you have to present proof of residency? How do they know you're not lying about how long you've been in the state?

What else can I expect?

Thanks for any help.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2011, 08:05 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times
New Vehicles or Vehicles Never Registered in California

Its in the links

Old 01-06-2011, 08:16 PM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
I just got done with all this after moving from NC. Here's how it works:

You will need:

- Car's title and current registration (If you have a loan, just have all the pertinent info for the lienholder handy instead of the title)

- Some idea of when you bought the car and for how much (It's on one of the forms and I honestly just had to guess because I couldn't remember). Don't put $1 or something equally unbelievable because they'll either make you fill it out again or just use book value, which may hurt you in the long run.

- The car(s) you plan to register. They do a quick inspection, mostly checking for valid VINs and whatnot. Not really the thorough inspection you may expect coming from a different state.

- Smog certificate. NOTE: As I found out, it's quicker and easier to do this before you go to the DMV. If you wait until after, you have to come back and wait in line AGAIN to get everything finished up. There's no shortage of shops that can do this for you, so take your pick. Cost is $50 give or take.

Here's what you do:

1) Go to the DMV. Stand in line and tell them what you're there to do (change registration, new CA driver's license, etc)

2) They give you the forms and a number. Have a seat and fill out the forms while you wait for your number to be called. NOTE: This wait will be much shorter if you schedule an appointment with the DMV, but appts are about 1 to 2 months out right now.

3) On the form(s), they'll ask when you both you and the vehicle arrived in CA. This section is not verified by the DMV *wink wink*. You are correct that CA expects you to register your vehicle very shortly after arriving, and there is a considerable fine for being late, so..............

Other advice:

- Think heavily about joining AAA. For $70/yr or so, you get all the roadside assistance stuff AND you can take care of MOST DMV transactions at the AAA office instead, which is typically much quicker than the local DMV office (though I won't say friendlier because I found my local DMV folks to be pretty nice, actually).

- The DMV's website has some calculators to help you get a rough idea of what your registration will cost, but be prepared to spend a few hundred bucks. IIRC, they only take cash or check, though they may take debit cards now as well.

- I'm not 100% sure on this, but you may want to be prepared to take the written portion of the DMV test as well as an eye test if you are getting a CA driver's license. Since we were actually moving BACK to CA and had only been gone a couple of years, we didn't have to do this. You may have to, but if you just grab a booklet and skim through it while you're waiting to give yourself a quick refresher, you should be fine. The DMV's website also has practice tests, and the rumor I heard from the kid sitting next to me at the DMV is that all the questions on the written test can be found in one of the sample tests found on the DMV's website.

Hope this helps,

Mike

Last edited by whiteboyslo; 01-06-2011 at 08:40 PM..

Old 01-06-2011, 09:38 PM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

- Smog certificate. NOTE: As I found out, it's quicker and easier to do this before you go to the DMV. If you wait until after, you have to come back and wait in line AGAIN to get everything finished up.
Sound Advice! A second trip to the DMV is to be avoided at ALL COSTS!!!!!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiteboyslo View Post

2) They give you the forms and a number. Have a seat and fill out the forms while you wait for your number to be called. NOTE: This wait will be much shorter if you schedule an appointment with the DMV, but appts are about 1 to 2 months out right now.
I'm not exactly sure where this Fantasy Island branch of the DMV is located, but you need to find it!

Last time I went to the DMV I made an appointment and only had to wait 2 or 3 hours past my appointment time. I have no idea how long the poor suckers backed out onto the sidewalk had to wait.

Old 01-06-2011, 11:16 PM

I have a couple other questions but... "AND you can take care of MOST DMV transactions at the AAA office instead, which is typically much quicker than the local DMV office"

Wait, so I can get this registration stuff done through a AAA office? Also, do I HAVE to get my CA driver's license at the same time?

P.S. So I could get away by saying 'I got here a week ago?' Won't they ask for an apartment lease agreement or ANY thing like that??

Old 01-06-2011, 11:21 PM

15,129 posts, read 32,335,027 times
But you can't get your driver's license through AAA, so you still have to go to DMV. It would be easier to do it all at the same time to avoid another trip. Check the DMV website for appointments, and take the earliest one you can get, unless you just want to go to the closest office.

Old 01-07-2011, 12:07 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by moved View Post
But you can't get your driver's license through AAA, so you still have to go to DMV. It would be easier to do it all at the same time to avoid another trip. Check the DMV website for appointments, and take the earliest one you can get, unless you just want to go to the closest office.
Depending on where you are, it can totally be worth it to drive to a branch office that's out of the way. Example: I'm in North Park, it's a 12 minute drive to the San Ysidro office, and there is never more than a 5 minute wait vs. 2-3 hours at the offices close to me... so it's worth it for me to avoid the aggravation if I can't get an appointment at a convenient time. Just my two cents

Old 01-07-2011, 12:41 AM

Did I also mention that the damn registration expired while I was away (Dec. 31)? I'd hate to get pulled over for that while getting a smog check...! But if it's needed, then it's needed. I think I'll do that tomorrow and then go to the dmv on Monday...

Old 01-07-2011, 02:02 AM

4,541 posts, read 12,407,757 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jenkay View Post
Depending on where you are, it can totally be worth it to drive to a branch office that's out of the way. Example: I'm in North Park, it's a 12 minute drive to the San Ysidro office, and there is never more than a 5 minute wait vs. 2-3 hours at the offices close to me... so it's worth it for me to avoid the aggravation if I can't get an appointment at a convenient time. Just my two cents
Jenkay is referring to the North Park DMV on Normal Street.

AVOID THIS DMV BRANCH AT ALL COSTS!!!

Frankly, even an appointment at this branch is essentially worthless. Don't bother. Drive to San Ysidro or Clairemont, El Centro even, anywhere else.

Old 01-07-2011, 09:16 AM

2,698 posts, read 12,176,636 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sspeedy00 View Post
I have a couple other questions but... "AND you can take care of MOST DMV transactions at the AAA office instead, which is typically much quicker than the local DMV office"

Wait, so I can get this registration stuff done through a AAA office? Also, do I HAVE to get my CA driver's license at the same time?

P.S. So I could get away by saying 'I got here a week ago?' Won't they ask for an apartment lease agreement or ANY thing like that??
I'd take other members' advice about what you can and cannot do at AAA. I only know that several friends and family have recommended I do it and after sitting at the DMV for a while, I seriously contemplated it.

Do you have to get your license at the same time? Don't think so, but you may as well while you're there.

They ask for nothing to verify residency. Nothing. I'm not telling you to lie, of course. That would be dishonest.

Expired vehicle registration MAY cause you an issue, but probably not with the smog shop. They won't care. I don't know what CA does in that instance specifically, but they may back-date your residency to the day your registration expired and go from there. Don't know for sure, just speculating.

Mike
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego