Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-07-2011, 09:48 PM

64 posts, read 117,661 times

Advertisements

My husband (Navy) is deployed and returning in June, which is when my daughter (8yo) and I will be moving to San Diego. I am a nurse and can get transferred from where I work now in Chicago to an affiliated hospital in Fallbrook (unless I am able to get a job at another hospital). But I will have a guaranteed job there. My husband, however, will be stationed out of Coronado. I will hopefully be working only 3 days a week so if I have to commute, then I'll do what I gotta do.

I know Poway is a very desirable area but quite expensive. Husband and I are looking to buy our first house not more than a 30 min commute from Coronado. What other areas are good to live in with good schools and safe neighborhoods, for less than $450k? I'm thinking 3-4 bedrooms, so can I even get a home for that price in a reasonable neighborhood? Thanks for your help!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-07-2011, 10:13 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ~JenLei~ View Post
My husband (Navy) is deployed and returning in June, which is when my daughter (8yo) and I will be moving to San Diego. I am a nurse and can get transferred from where I work now in Chicago to an affiliated hospital in Fallbrook (unless I am able to get a job at another hospital). But I will have a guaranteed job there. My husband, however, will be stationed out of Coronado. I will hopefully be working only 3 days a week so if I have to commute, then I'll do what I gotta do.

I know Poway is a very desirable area but quite expensive. Husband and I are looking to buy our first house not more than a 30 min commute from Coronado. What other areas are good to live in with good schools and safe neighborhoods, for less than $450k? I'm thinking 3-4 bedrooms, so can I even get a home for that price in a reasonable neighborhood? Thanks for your help!
Wow, I would have recommended Eastlake, but you said your job is in Fallbrook. I'm sure some of the other posters will provide more knowledgeable advice.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post
Wow, I would have recommended Eastlake, but you said your job is in Fallbrook. I'm sure some of the other posters will provide more knowledgeable advice.
I know... Fallbrook is FAR! I just know I have a job there, but if I am able to find a job at a hospital closer to Coronado I will definitely take it. Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look at Eastlake!

Old 01-07-2011, 10:24 PM

4,803 posts, read 10,175,796 times
Quote:
I know... Fallbrook is FAR! I just know I have a job there, but if I am able to find a job at a hospital closer to Coronado I will definitely take it. Thanks for the suggestion, I will take a look at Eastlake!
You know...there is a hospital in Coronado right?

Old 01-07-2011, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BacktoBlue View Post
You know...there is a hospital in Coronado right?
lol! Yes, I know there are quite a few hospitals that are closer to Coronado than Fallbrook. Believe me, I will be applying to all of them. It's just that I am a newer, less experienced nurse so I have heard the job market is tougher than it is for the veteran nurses out there. The hospital I am working at now in Chicago has another hospital owned by the same company in Fallbrook, so I am able to get transferred there. So that is where I'll end up working if all other prospects fail.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:31 PM

1,029 posts, read 2,483,134 times
What is the hospital in Fallbrook? Between now and June you should look for a hospital near Coronado or Hillcrest or near Chula Vista.

Old 01-07-2011, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mugsy View Post
What is the hospital in Fallbrook? Between now and June you should look for a hospital near Coronado or Hillcrest or near Chula Vista.
It's Fallbrook Hospital. I am starting to look and just applied for my CA license... I don't know how long that will take, as I have a friend who applied back in Oct and she STILL hasn't gotten hers. I try calling the nursing board and it's like nobody works there! Can't get a hold of a human being. I hope they're all busy processing nursing license applications!!!

Old 01-08-2011, 11:09 AM

15,129 posts, read 32,330,693 times
The fastest and easiest way to get a nursing job here is to work in a nursing home. I have a friend that did that, and after a year, she was able to transfer to a hospital, but she was only able to a graveyard shift.

Old 01-08-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MovingAloha View Post

MovingAloha, I will be doing more research but do you know offhand if Eastlake schools are good? I like the pricing of the homes there.

Old 01-08-2011, 10:07 PM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
MovingAloha, I will be doing more research but do you know offhand if Eastlake schools are good? I like the pricing of the homes there.
When I checked Great Schools, most of the elementary schools were 9s and 10s. The Middle and High Schools were highly rated as well. We are moving to SD in June and I'm looking at Eastlake as well as the Del Cerro, Allied Gardens and Scripps Ranch area, where the schools are very good as well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego