Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 11-13-2013, 03:46 PM

40 posts, read 79,005 times

Advertisements

I'm just curious because I've encountered this so many times. Surely, we all have our opinions on the strengths and weaknesses of San Diego and CA in general. But complaining about how awful SD is seemed to be some kind of initiation rite among my cohort in graduate school -- I just caught a whiff of some more just a moment ago -- and it made me curious.

Some of that is probably just culture shock from people who lived in very different places prior to California. The sprawl, car-culture, lack of greenery just throws them off. Of course the political climate might be different too. Also, people from all kinds of states complain about how much they hate living in ____.

But I almost never encounter people *bragging* about how much they dislike their home-state outside of Californians (transplants or natives). It is almost as if they get some kind of street cred/ brownie points if they alert everyone around them how much they hate California.

Is it the stereotype of SD/California as being la-la-land, full of slackers and bimbos?
Is it anger because California is hyped so much, is so expensive, but probably doesn't deliver the fantasy?
Is it mostly just to counter the hyperbolic reactions that some people have when they find out you're from SD/California? (I'd imagine it is similar for those from NY and HI)
Or is this phenomenon just specific to the people I have the misfortune of encountering day to day?!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-13-2013, 04:07 PM

1,969 posts, read 6,396,141 times
I hate Los Angeles, love San Diego, love SF, hate Bakersfield, love Lake Tahoe. Hating California is a little like hating the entire East Coast. It's huge and encompasses a lot. Often a lot of people who profess to hate "California" will modify that hate when talking about specifics- "I hate California, but would love to live in Santa Barbara if I could afford it, but I wouldn't live in LA if you paid me". Truth is LA stinks and many people unfamiliar with California associate a lot of good with the bad (LA, which does stink).

Old 11-13-2013, 04:12 PM

6,514 posts, read 7,557,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by icecoldlemonade View Post
Or is this phenomenon just specific to the people I have the misfortune of encountering day to day?!
Might just be your classmates who are from some where else and are homesick. Most of the people I encounter with this attitude are military and are not here by choice, especially the spouses.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:15 PM

40 posts, read 79,005 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malcorub16 View Post
Might just be your classmates who are from some where else and are homesick. Most of the people I encounter with this attitude are military and are not here by choice, especially the spouses.
Do they brag about disliking California though?

In the end, I agree with some of the complaints that I hear...but it is the way the complaints are done that bothers me. It seems almost like a form of snobbery. The "I'm from the civilized East Coast and what is this place?" kind of complaints.

Old 11-13-2013, 05:32 PM

1,665 posts, read 2,977,370 times
Yeah, and the people who consider themselves so civilized for the most part haven't been to a cultural institution in decades, if ever.

A recent conversation I had with someone who had been in the arts for his entire professional career got my attention. He said at the high end, which is where he was when he was working in the field, there's not much of a difference between San Diego and major east coast cities. It's when you get to that middle tier where the difference shows up. And it's big.

I never thought of it that way.

Old 11-13-2013, 07:30 PM

233 posts, read 886,300 times
Bottom line is other places have their positives but you can't beat the weather and scenery here. Isn't it worth it to them to adjust to whatever annoys them to be able to actually "LIVE" your life 365 days a year instead of hibernating from November to April? I'm from NY, been here 5 years and would never live anywhere else. NY may have culture but it's also dirty, crowded and everyone is in a frenzy and a bad mood all the time. I like that there is no NY minute here. It's what I was looking for. To each their own.....

Old 11-13-2013, 07:39 PM
OHW

102 posts, read 147,865 times
I live in Texas so I hear people bragging about how much they hate California all the time. I can't wait to get back!

But what I usually hear is why would I want to go out there and pay all the taxes. I tell them it's a beautiful scenery, weather, and women fee that I am more than happy to fork over!

Old 11-13-2013, 08:41 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,501,156 times
I can't understand hating a place. I mean, it's just a collection of inanimate objects. Hating people makes sense, but then you are a jerk. So little time, so much to hate?

Old 11-13-2013, 10:43 PM

73 posts, read 120,989 times
It may also be that some (not all) people who complain about California (L.A., San Diego) have illusions of living here but simply can't afford it. Weather, scenery and general safety of the area makes it a very expensive, but desirable place to live. I have seen many people in the military say they hate San Diego, only to go home and then return later to live here.

Old 11-14-2013, 12:07 AM

20 posts, read 39,003 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OHW View Post
I live in Texas so I hear people bragging about how much they hate California all the time. I can't wait to get back!

But what I usually hear is why would I want to go out there and pay all the taxes. I tell them it's a beautiful scenery, weather, and women fee that I am more than happy to fork over!

Texas is the anti-California....politically, lifestyle, values, everything.

Screw them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2022 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego