Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 01:01 PM

95 posts, read 384,821 times

Advertisements

When I lived in San Diego I noticed most scenic drives are filled with long red lights and traffic, there are just too many people compared to other states. The best scenic drive option is the highway, unless you run into traffic.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 01:08 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,215,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by avalon2k41 View Post
When I lived in San Diego I noticed most scenic drives are filled with long red lights and traffic, there are just too many people compared to other states. The best scenic drive option is the highway, unless you run into traffic.
If you stay in the city and suburbs, yes. Anza Borrego, Cuyamaca, and Cleveland Nat'l forest have no stoplights...it's just road and natural beauty. I love hiking around Lake Cuyamaca and the desert trails.

Old 04-16-2011, 06:25 AM

140 posts, read 488,877 times
My favorite is Joshua tree, get backcountry pass and camp under the stars. Great sky watching. Boulder fields and Joshua tree forests make it look like another world.

Anza borrego is incredible during spring wildflower time, some years the valleys are filled with desert flowers and cactuses.

Wide variety of camping available in mountain places mentioned above.

A bit further out, Death Valley is another neat place. Grand canyon is a bit disappointing, sorta like a big hole in the ground.

Also some cool stretches of the Pacific crest trail.

Some cool beach camping, I'm going to Leo Carillo beach later this year.

Btw, just kidding about the GC. I'm scoping out a variety of potential Colorado river rafting, camping, hiking trips now.

Lots of outdoorsy folks here in San Diego.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:15 AM

418 posts, read 1,312,452 times
I just drive a couple blocks around the corner to the local Girlie Bar. Some natural beauty there. Plus since I like 'em hairy, I get to see Hairy Henrietta works that pole.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:46 AM

296 posts, read 614,393 times
lol dude that's whack.

SDRelocate nailed it pretty good. Have to agree, JT is a treasure. Add to that Ocotillo Wells, Salton Sea (check out Salvation Mountain), and the Kelso Dunes. If you have 4WD you can go out to Kelso and find some abandoned gold mines. Or drive down old Rte. 66.

Old 04-17-2011, 10:59 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beware_of_Dog View Post
I just drive a couple blocks around the corner to the local Girlie Bar. Some natural beauty there. Plus since I like 'em hairy, I get to see Hairy Henrietta works that pole.
Is Henrietta a mermaid? That would be interesting, pole-wise...

Old 04-17-2011, 05:17 PM

7,126 posts, read 8,655,613 times
Just spent a week at my friends home in Encinitas and all i had to travel was 30 seconds to walk out on her patio and see the Pacific. Natural beauty doesn't get any better then that IMHO!!

Old 04-17-2011, 07:45 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,319,404 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desertdarlene View Post
I like to go to Anza Borrego, Salton Sea, Palm Springs, Idyllwild, Los Angeles and Catalina all of which takes a lot less than 4 hours to reach.

Cuyamaca's fantastic as is the rest of the of the Cleveland National Forest. And, Torrey Pines State Park/beach is fun, too! Also, visit Cabrillo National Monument and hike the trails there.
The city and county also have numerous very large open space preserves. Get a copy of Jerry Schades A foot and a field in San Diego for a listing of hundreds of hikes all open to the public in San Diego County. Two of the ones I'm most looking forward too are still in the works (in that the SANDAG has bought most of the land but has yet to build the trails or other improvements on them); The San Dieguito River Park (which is a mountain to coast trail following the San Dieguito River from Julian to Del Mar) and the San Diego River Park (this one also goes from the mountains to the coast coming out at Torrey Pines State Park but it also hooks up to the mountain to desert trail which heads east to the Colorado River). There is just so much variety here due to all the changes in elevation in the county there is something for everyone plus there is so much government owned land most of it is open to the public free of charge.

One thing a lot of people forget is there are also two great National Parks in Northern Baja's Peninsular range of mountains. There both assessable and safe even if you don't speak Spanish and they have a green high mountain climate which most people don't associate with Baja. A few years back (2004) I went to San Pedro Martir National Park just SW of Enscendada and it was fantastic. We went there for one day of our three day weekend trip to the Ensenada area; one day deep sea fishing, one day wine tasting in the Guadaloupe Valley, one day hiking & exploring San Pedro Martir NP and each night we ate at great restaurants which would have cost 2-3 times more in the US. I highly recommend it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sierra_..._National_Park

Old 08-21-2011, 04:56 AM

140 posts, read 488,877 times
Planning a Joshua tree trip this fall. Fall and Spring best times IMHO, early Spring best with potential wildflower mega blooms.

Interesting if you can align with local amateur star party going on, amateur astronomers and their pricey telescopes, let you see night sky up close.

Old 08-21-2011, 01:30 PM

296 posts, read 614,393 times
Spring is by far the best time for JT. After the summer it's often burnt to a crisp.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego