Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-21-2011, 01:49 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,276,114 times

Advertisements

Besides Mona Lisa in Little Italy and other markets in that area, does anyone know where I can find some of this flour in the County to buy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-22-2011, 08:42 AM

3,472 posts, read 5,265,479 times
No, I always go to the Market at Buon Apetito, also in Little Italy. Buy a couple bags at once and store airtight!

Old 02-22-2011, 09:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tstieber View Post
No, I always go to the Market at Buon Apetito, also in Little Italy. Buy a couple bags at once and store airtight!
Thanks! I buy a few of the small bags but they go so fast

Was hoping there were other places besides Little Italy that sold it

Oh well, guess I it gives me an excuse to head down there and buy other stuff too.

Old 02-22-2011, 09:43 AM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Besides Mona Lisa in Little Italy and other markets in that area, does anyone know where I can find some of this flour in the County to buy?
Don't want to appear too ignorant, but what is this flour? What makes it special? (I've never heard of it).

Old 02-22-2011, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PollyGlott View Post
Don't want to appear too ignorant, but what is this flour? What makes it special? (I've never heard of it).
Tipo "00" is flour used (mostly) in Italy for pastas and pizzas. The 00 refers to the fineness of how it is milled. In this case, tipo is extremely fine and what that does is affect how water absorbed into the flour.
When mixed with water, it is soft and doesnt stick to the hands as much and is much more plyable for thinning out for vermicelli and thinner pastas.
For pizza, there is no other flour that compares to it. When mixed with water and yeast, it has the perfect amount of gluten to rise nicely and bake perfectly, as well as stretch. Pizzas come out somewhat crispy with the right amount chewiness and are quite light....almost an airy quality.

AP (all purpose) flour which is what is mostly on the shelves here at any supermarket does what it does, which is all round baking etc. Its also great for pizzas, but has more of a heavier feel and it a bit chewier on the bite (think Doninos, Papa Johns). This has to do with, again, its fineness and gluten content.

Old 02-22-2011, 12:26 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,923,425 times
Well, I learned something new today!
Thanks for the explanation.

Old 02-22-2011, 03:18 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,290,985 times
The bulk section of Henry's has at least 10 different types of flour. Have you looked there?

Old 02-22-2011, 04:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAK802 View Post
The bulk section of Henry's has at least 10 different types of flour. Have you looked there?
Those were the first places I went to. Henrys/Sprouts, Bristol Farms and Whole Foods. I thought "Whole Foods has to have it!". Nope. Total bummer. They all have a wide variety of flours for different needs but not Tipo.

Online markets and Little Italy markets so far are the only ones that carry it and more specifically Ca**** (brand) has the most consistent quality. There are substitute mixtures I have tried which are a blend of pastry flour and AP flour but its still not as good.

Thanks for the thought though!

Old 02-24-2011, 08:52 AM

2,299 posts, read 4,827,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shmoov_groovzsd View Post
Tipo "00" is flour used (mostly) in Italy for pastas and pizzas. The 00 refers to the fineness of how it is milled. In this case, tipo is extremely fine and what that does is affect how water absorbed into the flour.
When mixed with water, it is soft and doesnt stick to the hands as much and is much more plyable for thinning out for vermicelli and thinner pastas.
For pizza, there is no other flour that compares to it. When mixed with water and yeast, it has the perfect amount of gluten to rise nicely and bake perfectly, as well as stretch. Pizzas come out somewhat crispy with the right amount chewiness and are quite light....almost an airy quality.

AP (all purpose) flour which is what is mostly on the shelves here at any supermarket does what it does, which is all round baking etc. Its also great for pizzas, but has more of a heavier feel and it a bit chewier on the bite (think Doninos, Papa Johns). This has to do with, again, its fineness and gluten content.
Wow, i'm hungry now ; plus I learned something new! Mahalo

Old 02-24-2011, 11:53 AM

3,545 posts, read 6,033,401 times
Might want to post this question on the Chow San Diego board, I'm certain you'll get an answer there.

Off the top of my head though, the only place I can think of that might carry it besides the places you mentioned might be Major Market in Escondido.

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego