Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 02-24-2011, 01:54 PM

16,588 posts, read 27,379,702 times

Advertisements

Ok, 10 news weather forecasts has said that the snow level could get almost to sea level. Basically Lindberg Field wouldn't see snow but places like Cowel's Mt. maybe or Mt Miguel or perhaps a few inland areas like Rancho San Diego.

Much the same forecast that's been given up and down the Ca. coast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-24-2011, 01:55 PM

50,246 posts, read 47,005,641 times
I remember it snowing back in the 80s. It didn't really stick but seeing flurries was nutz! I also remember seeing a bank thermo read 29 degrees when I drove to Orange County. I brought my bike but kept it in the motel. BRRRR

Old 02-24-2011, 01:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
I remember it snowing back in the 80s. It didn't really stick but seeing flurries was nutz! I also remember seeing a bank thermo read 29 degrees when I drove to Orange County. I brought my bike but kept it in the motel. BRRRR
I heard about that event when I was living in Berkeley from my relatives here. I was always puzzled by that. In a way, I'd love to take some pictures with a dusting on some palm trees but that's pushing it LOL

Old 02-24-2011, 02:08 PM

3,545 posts, read 6,030,067 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentoo View Post
I heard about that event when I was living in Berkeley from my relatives here. I was always puzzled by that. In a way, I'd love to take some pictures with a dusting on some palm trees but that's pushing it LOL
I remember flakes falling at my parents' house in La Mesa twice in my lifetime.. (maybe 3 times?). I'm only at about 400 ft elevation so it's unlikely I'll see any at my place.. Although it might almost be worth spending the night in my folks' guest bedroom tomorrow to see some Saturday morning

Old 02-24-2011, 05:03 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,268 times
I heard that it might snow in places like Ramona this weekend.

Anyone remember that picture the UT published years ago with snow capped mountains on the horizon behind San Diego? It was taken from Coronado.

Old 02-24-2011, 06:08 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,735,238 times
Could be an interesting weekend for us weather weenies! They're saying the snow levels could drop to 1,500 feet or lower, which means Cowles Mt, Iron Mt. in Poway and Mt. Helix (just under 1,400ft) could all see a dusting of snow on Saturday morning.

If this storm lives up the hype (big IF), I'm guessing Ramona, Valley Center and outer Escondido will definitely get measurable amounts of snow. And it wouldn't surprise me if flurries are reported from throughout the metro area. Let's wait and see!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol
Anyone remember that picture the UT published years ago with snow capped mountains on the horizon behind San Diego? It was taken from Coronado.
You mean these? SignOnSanDiego.com Photo Galleries :: Snow in San Diego

I posted this in another thread, but thought it was fitting to post it here -

SD Union and SD Tribune headlines on December 13, 1967

The day it snowed in San Diego | The San Diego Union-Tribune

Old 02-24-2011, 06:14 PM

6,420 posts, read 11,591,884 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by futbol View Post
I heard that it might snow in places like Ramona this weekend.

I had thought it was taken from a helicopter which was over Coronado, IIRC. I thought you'd need to be that high to get the depth of landscape in that photo. BUt apparently it was taken from Fort Rosecrans. It's magnificent!

http://photos.signonsandiego.com/sds...enic253954x001

Old 02-24-2011, 08:05 PM

1,447 posts, read 2,744,268 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdurbanite View Post
Could be an interesting weekend for us weather weenies! They're saying the snow levels could drop to 1,500 feet or lower, which means Cowles Mt, Iron Mt. in Poway and Mt. Helix (just under 1,400ft) could all see a dusting of snow on Saturday morning.

If this storm lives up the hype (big IF), I'm guessing Ramona, Valley Center and outer Escondido will definitely get measurable amounts of snow. And it wouldn't surprise me if flurries are reported from throughout the metro area. Let's wait and see!!

You mean these? SignOnSanDiego.com Photo Galleries :: Snow in San Diego

I posted this in another thread, but thought it was fitting to post it here -

SD Union and SD Tribune headlines on December 13, 1967

The day it snowed in San Diego | The San Diego Union-Tribune
It was more recent, seemed like around 2003. That is a nice find.

edit: Just followed your link. Looks like you found it, too... the gallery, that is. Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by oddstray View Post
I had thought it was taken from a helicopter which was over Coronado, IIRC. I thought you'd need to be that high to get the depth of landscape in that photo. BUt apparently it was taken from Fort Rosecrans. It's magnificent!

Snow in San Diego :: SignOnSanDiego.com Photo Galleries
Yes, that's it!

I've looked everywhere for it. Now I've got to book mark it.

Last edited by futbol; 02-24-2011 at 08:15 PM..

Old 02-24-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:

edit: Just followed your link. Looks like you found it, too... the gallery, that is. Thanks!

Yes, that's it!

Those are the normal mountains that get snow although it's more than usual in this photo. That's Cuyamaca Peak behind downtown which is out passed Alpine and before Pine Valley.

Old 02-24-2011, 09:29 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,203,209 times
Quote:

Yes, that's it!

Futbol, that's a super cool pic. Any idea where it was taken? Looks like Coronado or one of the other islands, but I've never seen a mountainous backdrop like that from Coronado.

So wait, are they actually forecasting snow in the SD area?

Edit: Sorry futbol, just read your post re: where it's from, answered my question!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego