Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-13-2011, 05:18 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times

Advertisements

I lived in PB for almost 20 years and can't remember ever seeing gay men holding hands. Gay women? A few but not men. Now the Balboa Park area? Sure.

Way too many tourists,from the rest of the US, skate rats and surfers for gay men to feel comfortable on the boardwalk I'm guessing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-13-2011, 06:39 PM

5,291 posts, read 12,743,296 times
Can't say I've ever seen gay couples holding hands in Chula Vista, but that doesn't mean YOU can't do it. I really don't think anyone would care. Might get a few stares, but your life won't be jeapardy. Take DC, for instance, you might see openly gay couples in the city, but not as many in suburban VA or MD. San Diego is no different in that regard. I've seen gay couples holding hands/kiss at the airport, mall, park, movie theaters and Padres games without incident.

Old 04-13-2011, 06:57 PM

110 posts, read 383,777 times
I see that in Hillcrest, but not as much in the larger community. There's still some hostility from the conservative crowd (SD has a lot of older white ppl, military, and even a couple bible thumpers).

Old 04-13-2011, 07:30 PM

6 posts, read 9,659 times
Hello Everyone,

Thank you for all your great comments and sharing.

I think the one who said live where you want to live and enjoy San Diego resonates with me. My Partner and I are coming down next month to visit and see how SD feels to us. I hope its pretty in May. And now I'm gonna look at white party pictures, thank you

Happy sunset,
Marcus

Old 04-13-2011, 07:44 PM

18,982 posts, read 32,673,805 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltagetower View Post
. My Partner and I are coming down next month to visit and see how SD feels to us. I hope its pretty in May
Just be aware that is one of the two cloudiest months in San Diego, aka "May Gray" which is followed by "June Gloom". Might not see the SD weather you're expecting. But it can vary from year to year, some years are worse than others.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lostfan13 View Post
I see that in Hillcrest, but not as much in the larger community. There's still some hostility from the conservative crowd (SD has a lot of older white ppl, military, and even a couple bible thumpers).
White? Ask any christian black, brown or otherwise what they think about it. White? Come on man.

It's not a race thing, not even close. To me? I really don't care just don't turn it into a race thing cause there are gays of all color.

Old 04-13-2011, 09:18 PM

110 posts, read 383,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1AngryTaxPayer View Post
White? Ask any christian black, brown or otherwise what they think about it. White? Come on man.

It's not a race thing, not even close. To me? I really don't care just don't turn it into a race thing cause there are gays of all color.
Oh.. I didn't mean to imply anything like that at all. Sorry if it came across that way. It was a response to the original post:

Quote:
I've heard all the "negatives" about SoCal, San Diego being white, republican and conservative, that it's too military, not cultured enough and on and on...I'm serious when I'm asking you here to enlighten me on the truth, not on misconceptions.
I did mean to say that SD is more on the conservative end of the spectrum for California, so the way people act reflects that in terms of PDA.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:07 PM

6 posts, read 9,659 times
Thanks about May...I had heard about the June fog but didn't know about May too!
Marcus

Old 04-14-2011, 01:26 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,924,050 times
Quote:
Hello Everyone,
Thank you for all your great comments and sharing.
I think the one who said live where you want to live and enjoy San Diego resonates with me. My Partner and I are coming down next month to visit and see how SD feels to us. I hope its pretty in May. And now I'm gonna look at white party pictures, thank you
Happy sunset,
Marcus
The first time I ever came to San Diego was in May. I brought my bathing suit, thinking I would frolic on the beach and in the surf - HA!
Not only was it "May gray", the water was freezing (the ocean never actually gets warm, by the way).
So please don't have your hopes up, weather-wise. However, it's a beautiful area in all kinds of weather.

Old 04-14-2011, 01:45 PM

If we get another summer like last year I swear I'm moving to Ramona
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego