Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-12-2011, 01:23 PM

6 posts, read 9,658 times

Advertisements

Good day San Diegans

My name is Marcus and I have wanted to move to San Diego for 20 years and my partner and I, both now are 44 yrs old with two french bulldogs are ready to leave the city life of San Francisco for a warmer, more laid-back lifestyle in San Diego.

I've heard all the "negatives" about SoCal, San Diego being white, republican and conservative, that it's too military, not cultured enough and on and on...I'm serious when I'm asking you here to enlighten me on the truth, not on misconceptions.

For me, if I see a gay couple holding hands walking down the street, I see that as liberating and free. I really would like to know if I would feel that way, holding my partner's hand whether that be downtown, La Jolla, PB, Ocean Beach or Chula Vista - and not just in Hillcrest?

Since we don't know anyone there, I would truly welcome all observations and thoughts from all of you, young or old, gay or str8, good or bad please

Thank you all in advance and I hope you're having a good day!

Marcus
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-12-2011, 01:53 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,270,747 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voltagetower View Post
Good day San Diegans

My name is Marcus and I have wanted to move to San Diego for 20 years and my partner and I, both now are 44 yrs old with two french bulldogs are ready to leave the city life of San Francisco for a warmer, more laid-back lifestyle in San Diego.

I've heard all the "negatives" about SoCal, San Diego being white, republican and conservative, that it's too military, not cultured enough and on and on...I'm serious when I'm asking you here to enlighten me on the truth, not on misconceptions.

For me, if I see a gay couple holding hands walking down the street, I see that as liberating and free. I really would like to know if I would feel that way, holding my partner's hand whether that be downtown, La Jolla, PB, Ocean Beach or Chula Vista - and not just in Hillcrest?

Since we don't know anyone there, I would truly welcome all observations and thoughts from all of you, young or old, gay or str8, good or bad please

Thank you all in advance and I hope you're having a good day!

Marcus
Marcus,

For the areas you mentioned, I have never seen hand holding for same sex couples. Although, I dont think anyone would be against it per se, I am certain for the people that do notice it, they would probably stare. Simply because its not the norm for those areas where breeders live. But if you run into some young kids that dont know any better, getting mocked would be an expectation I would assume. This doesnt seem exclusive to SD though.

I have seen San Diego getting far more liberal in its social views since I have lived here. Nothing close to San Francisco but probably more yuppie liberal with a touch of entitlement mixed in. Out in the old school parts of the County its still very conservative socially and politically for areas in East County.

The other thing you want to keep in mind is that San Diego is largely suburbs the further east you get from the coast. Its safe to say that breeders generally live in the burbs where its family friendly and the schools have a tendency to be better. All elements that any gay friends I have could care less about if they are not raising a child.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:09 PM

5,024 posts, read 7,570,523 times
During the summer months, I commonly see same sex couples holding hands while walking around Mission Bay and the boardwalk at Mission Beach / Pacific Beach. Not sure if they are tourists or locals. They don't seem uncomfortable and no one seems to notice.

Old 04-12-2011, 06:12 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cruitr View Post
During the summer months, I commonly see same sex couples holding hands while walking around Mission Bay and the boardwalk at Mission Beach / Pacific Beach. Not sure if they are tourists or locals. They don't seem uncomfortable and no one seems to notice.
Yup, I used to see gay couples holding hands all the time walking up and down the boardwalk in Mission Beach and Pacific Beach, which may surprise some given PB's "fratty" reputation. I used to live in a 4 unit building where at one point two of the units were occupied by gay couples and one couple was REALLY gay. Nobody seemed to care

Old 04-12-2011, 06:19 PM

18,980 posts, read 32,627,760 times
Quote:
Good day San Diegans
And I'm guessing the one's saying this crap are negative SF Bay Area stereotypes themselves most likely. If you're one of the close minded, psuedo-intellectual left wing Bay Area stereotypes then yeah San Diego isn't probably for you.
Quote:
I think most of the neighborhoods you mentioned as well as other central city ones like North park, South Park, University Heights, etc... will all be fine when it comes to tolerance. Generally the more conservative suburbs you would probably get more stares but go to some of the suburbs in the Bay Area and it would be the same way. San Diego has something like two openly gay city council members and the county DA is gay as well, it's not really an issue here overall imo.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:30 PM

5,026 posts, read 15,284,533 times
I have no idea, it's not something I would notice unless I was specifically looking for it. Gay couples, straight couples...it's all the same to me.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:26 PM

8,975 posts, read 10,201,315 times
Hillcrest, yes you definitely see gay guys and gals holding hands. That goes for a lot of the surrounding areas -- I've seen guys holding hands in Univ. Hts, Banker's Hill, and areas of North Park as well. I haven't really noticed it elsewhere, but I spend most of my time in the aforementioned neighborhoods so that may be why.

Old 04-12-2011, 08:31 PM

15,639 posts, read 41,025,535 times
The White Party was just in town this past weekend. Here's some pics you might be interested in. I'm sure you'll find gays holding hands - and SO much more! Enjoy!!!

White Party 2011 | Metromix Palm Springs

In case you're interested - the Dinah Shore was the weekend before the White Party.

http://palmsprings.metromix.com/even...004264/content

Old 04-13-2011, 10:48 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
I've lived here over 30+ years and honestly I just don't see it except in the Hillcrest and surrounding areas. At least compared to the east coast where you see more "openly" gay couples. For example, at Dulles airport I have seen gay women kissing each other (greeting) but I haven't ever seen that at the SD airport...course I'm not really looking all that hard for it, but just sayin'. I live in suburban/beach North County and don't see it at all. I'm sure there are gay couples living in the area but I just don't see alot of "openness" about it. Course I don't see alot of straight couples holding hands either...do people still hold hands

Come to think of it, I did have a male gay couple living in my apt complex and they were great neighbors...but once outside the front door, I never saw any physical display of affection. But like I said, I don't see alot of it from straight couples either.

Where I work now I'm sure there are gay people, but nobody is open about it...I couldn't tell you who was and who wasn't. Now at my former employer, we had quite a few gays and they were all very open about it with no problems at all.

Keep in mind, IMO SD is not all that sophisticated.

Old 04-13-2011, 12:20 PM

9,820 posts, read 11,536,738 times
Quote:
This is very true!
But IMO San Diego is like most other city's and has come to except it.
No one here will every say anything to your face(that's not how we roll)
I say live where you want to live and Enjoy San Diego
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego