Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-15-2011, 02:56 PM

4 posts, read 4,805 times

Advertisements

I have been reading through the posts about San Diego, because my girlfriend and I are planning to move there. Some of the posts say jobs are hard to come by there, but others say they found a job pretty quickly when they moved. I know some of the posts are kind of outdated so I was wondering how the economy is of right now. I am 22 and willing work just about any job but fastfood and restraunts. Also is it possible to find an apt. for around $500? I live in Seattle and have a sever case of SAD so I am trying to get out of here as soon as possible, this grey and darkness is killing me Also this is my first post here so yay me!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-15-2011, 03:03 PM

1,278 posts, read 2,924,351 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by explorer89 View Post
I have been reading through the posts about San Diego, because my girlfriend and I are planning to move there. Some of the posts say jobs are hard to come by there, but others say they found a job pretty quickly when they moved. I know some of the posts are kind of outdated so I was wondering how the economy is of right now. I am 22 and willing work just about any job but fastfood and restraunts. Also is it possible to find an apt. for around $500? I live in Seattle and have a sever case of SAD so I am trying to get out of here as soon as possible, this grey and darkness is killing me Also this is my first post here so yay me!
Hmmm ... the economy here is very ho-hummish. Like everywhere in California, cuts are being made all over the place. This isn't to say you can't find a job, but it isn't easy. It might help if we knew the kind of job(s) you qualify for. As far as apartments for $500, someone else will have to address that.

It's interesting that you and I are moving in opposite directions - I'm tired of the sun and the heat, can't wait to move up to the Puget Sound area and enjoy the cool, the grey, the mizzle. BTW, today is "Santa Ana " kind of weather - hot and windy. "Different strokes", I guess.

Hope you get some answers to your questions!

Old 04-15-2011, 03:07 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,278,783 times
Quote:
explorer,

Try and save some cash if you can before moving. Rent for $500 will get you a roommate or 3. Going rates for rent can vary depending on area (eg beach or not beach). You also want to estimate commute times if you are planning on traveling to and from work. At your age I would recommend just setting up shop near your job and place to live, if you are looking to stay here for longer term.

Jobs are meh at best. I do know that in parts of town that see more traffic, any tipped position is more than likely filled. This means the party coastal areas etc. Any new restaurants I have seen open up in the Downtown area has at least 400-500 applicants during their open call interviews. There is hiring going on, but for what you are looking for, you may have to travel far from where you may be living to get the job. Rigfht now there is no rhyme or reason to where and who is hiring.

Its a tough call. Part of me says screw it and just do it since you are only 22. The other part says get a job first and work from there. I dont think anyone on this forum would want to see someone coming here to "figure it out" so to speak and struggle with the locals here that havent been able to find work. It could make your time here pretty miserable.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:12 PM

4,897 posts, read 8,321,875 times
It's getting better but still not recovered yet. At least there are now a lot of hiring notices advertised so that's a big change over 1 year ago. Most of those are in skilled lines of work though (biotech, engineering, sciences, medicine, etc..) and the service, tourism, and hospitality industries still seem to be lagging. That only makes sense though since the vacation and partying related lines of work usually don't recover until after people feel secure enough to pay for a big vacation.

BTW I doubt you could find a double occupancy room for rent for $500. It is possible to find on Craig's list small rooms for rent for around $500 but those are usually based on single occupancy and most landlords will demand extra for double occupancy as it means more people in the house.

Old 04-15-2011, 03:41 PM

1 posts, read 1,176 times
explorer,

I am actually looking to move from the Seattle area (Bellingham) to San Diego as well. I am aiming for the end of summer.

My girlfriend and I are about the same age as you, and we have been asking a lot of the same questions. It seems like the ecomony down there is beginning to balance out, but it is also still a big city with a lot of people looking at the same jobs.

I have also found that if you are willing to look a little out of downtown, you can find some moderately priced apartments. do keep in mind that the cost of living down there is slightly higher than what we are used to up here in Seattle.

I am definitely looking forward to the change in scenery and weather though. maybe we'll bump into each other down there.

Old 04-15-2011, 04:21 PM

4,630 posts, read 10,278,783 times
explorer and jeigh,

Just read this I would share.

Statistically, its still over 10% unemployment here but the losses are mostly in manufacturing in March. The only saving grace for these numbers was hiring in hospitality. If I read correctly this was an area you were willing to look to start in.

A word of caution is to read it but take it with a grain of salt. BLS numbers are not the end all be all for what is happening right now as its a lagging indicator and only covers certain aspects of unemployment.

Unemployment Rate Rises In County - San Diego News Story - KGTV San Diego

Old 04-15-2011, 07:11 PM

4 posts, read 4,805 times
Thanks so much for all of the feedback. I am not set on living in San Diego proper. I think I am more inclined to living farther away from the beach since i am from Seattle. It is the cloud and marine weather I'm trying to get away from. I also read it is warmer inland and that is just perfect for me. Jiegh I am planning to move in the end of summer too. I just can not take another year of this weather especially after this march when it rained the whole month. I do have some money saved up about $5000 and have car that is payed off so I can live further out from a job if I have to. My gf will be working also but we prefer to have our own place. Polly glot I would trade you places in a heartbeat. This weather drives me crazy. It stays dark for so long that when the sun shine it feels like I am going blind. It is not an exaggeration because there is a higher then normal level of blind people around here. Thanks for the link shmoov. I just what to say forget it and and just do it, but i don not want to go down there and burn through my savings just to come back in 2 or 3 months later.

Old 04-15-2011, 08:38 PM

111 posts, read 328,236 times
Quote:
Finding an apartment anywhere in San Diego county for $500 is unheard of. Most apartments start out in the $700 range and thats usually a studio and in a not so nice complex/neighborhood.

Sorry the weather depresses you in Seattle. The high cost of living here depresses me. Almost every dime of my money goes to rent and utitlities and I have no left over money to have any kind of social life/fun with.

Old 04-15-2011, 09:59 PM

1,807 posts, read 3,992,197 times
San Diegans are often heard saying they "work to live". Unfortunately, in my opinion, here in SD you will be "living to work". Unless you have a really good job or skills that are in high demand, come from a wealthy family, or won the lottery, you will be living day-to-day, paycheck-to-paycheck here.

You may be thinking "that's ok, as long as it's sunny and the weather is nice, I'm willing to struggle." Trust me, the weather doesn't pay your bills and it gets old really, really quick.

Old 04-15-2011, 11:00 PM

1,658 posts, read 7,578,053 times
hey SD......IMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM BAAAAAACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCK!!!!

Umm i would say that the local SD economy is improving;slowly.But if you go to places like the Zoo,Sea World ect ect,you may see a minor uptick in people,but they are there for whatever the ticket price includes.That means they aren't buying gifts of keepsakes to take home with them.Totally different compared to what I noticed in 07 and even then the economy here was ehhh ie: about to fall off
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego