Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-25-2011, 08:54 AM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sav858 View Post
Ever notice how the only people that seem to care what tier SD is in are usually people that rag on SD on this site? It doesn't seem anyone that is content and happy living in SD gives a crap what tier it's in, let alone discusses it. It's just funny how it's mainly people that rag on SD that complain about what tier it's in because they obviously wish it was some first tier city like NYC, LA, etc..then someone comes around and blindly throws out some BS about SD having an inferiority complex. I've asked people on here to explain how SD has an inferiority complex when they've stated that yet none of them ever have, probably because it actually doesn't.
Don't understand why anyone would want SD to be a tier one city, those place have enormous downsides. The description of me as a neo-conservative is classic - guy must be some kind of hippie?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-25-2011, 09:13 AM

6,893 posts, read 8,940,353 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sassberto View Post
The description of me as a neo-conservative is classic - guy must be some kind of hippie?
Centrist Democrat (left-leaning on social issues; right-leaning on others).

Meant not neo-conservative in the wacky mold of William Krystal, Wolfowitz et al, but a new conservative/gop in the mold of when I was young without money & kids, I was liberal, and when I was older with money & family, I am more conservative. Either belief evolution or not beholden to core values.

Last edited by bloom; 04-25-2011 at 09:34 AM..

Old 04-25-2011, 09:13 AM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
I agree with the majority of the consensus here. A sports team doesn't define a city at all. In fact, the vast majority of people in a given city probably could case less about a sports team.

Having a sports team or not also doesn't define what "tier" a city may be in.

Old 04-25-2011, 09:44 AM

177 posts, read 399,023 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by earlyretirement View Post
I agree with the majority of the consensus here. A sports team doesn't define a city at all. In fact, the vast majority of people in a given city probably could case less about a sports team.

Having a sports team or not also doesn't define what "tier" a city may be in.
Right, but a team leaving could theoretically be a good indicator of a drop in tiers, or a move in that direction. It doesn't matter how much the citizens "care" about the team, but the fact that the team may leave means something isn't working correctly. Sports can't exclusively make a city great, but if they Yankees were to suddenly pack up and move from New York, you would have to agree that something is seriously wrong, right?

Old 04-25-2011, 11:31 AM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDecay View Post
Right, but a team leaving could theoretically be a good indicator of a drop in tiers, or a move in that direction. It doesn't matter how much the citizens "care" about the team, but the fact that the team may leave means something isn't working correctly. Sports can't exclusively make a city great, but if they Yankees were to suddenly pack up and move from New York, you would have to agree that something is seriously wrong, right?
Not that long ago the Chargers demanded an upgrade to their stadium, they got it.

If we weren't in a recession they would probably get a new stadium but we are and they won't. What is "wrong" is called a recession.

The bottom line is football is a niche market and a special interest. Most people that live in the County don't care about them.

San Diego is and always has been about the beach and ocean.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:25 PM

1,658 posts, read 3,549,067 times
A football team isn't much of an indicator of what "tier" a city is in, in my opinion. As has been mentioned, LA doesn't have a football team and I don't think it's any question that they're tier one.

I also don't think that SD has an inferiority complex...that would be San Francisco. Really the only people in SD I see that bash it are the new college grads & wannabes that move here because it's "not LA"...and then they start whining that it's "not LA." Meaning they came here expecting the excitement of LA without LA-type problems.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:42 PM

4,213 posts, read 3,302,329 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radical347 View Post
A football team isn't much of an indicator of what "tier" a city is in, in my opinion. As has been mentioned, LA doesn't have a football team and I don't think it's any question that they're tier one.

I also don't think that SD has an inferiority complex...that would be San Francisco. Really the only people in SD I see that bash it are the new college grads & wannabes that move here because it's "not LA"...and then they start whining that it's "not LA." Meaning they came here expecting the excitement of LA without LA-type problems.

I don't see how San Francisco could have an inferiority complex, about anything(even the weather). SF>>>>>>>LA or SD.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:44 PM

9,527 posts, read 30,486,143 times
SF, biggest inferiority complex of all. Not as big or important as LA (or even San Jose), not as cool or interesting as NY.

Old 04-25-2011, 01:54 PM

50,327 posts, read 47,080,006 times
Sanders, civic leaders meet privately on Chargers - SignOnSanDiego.com

This won't get anyone's support (tax payers).

Old 04-25-2011, 02:43 PM

4,498 posts, read 9,386,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UrbanDecay View Post

IMHO, a team leaving isn't an indicator of a drop in tiers. Lots of things these days "isn't working correctly". Heck, just look at the state of California. It hasn't been working correctly for many years and is essentially broke.

To me, sports teams and franchises are a business. Yeah, you might have dedicated fans and they have their hearts in it and the matter but honestly, football should be looked at as a "business".

When businesses don't work in any given city, they close shop or move to another area. I don't look at it too much differently. Sports franchises are in the business of successfully making money. Fan or no fan, people shouldn't forget that. When a franchise owner doesn't see a viable chance for the business or they see a more lucrative spot for their business, more and more owners will probably make the decision to make the move.

If the Yankees were to leave, it wouldn't change in the least the tier level of NYC. Having a sports franchise there wouldn't matter in the least IMHO as to the tier level of the city itself.

I know it can be really difficult for true fans or lifelong fans when a franchise moves but like it or not...when it's all said and done.... it's just a business. And if they left and eventually (when it's viable) another team comes in....I believe eventually fans would support that new "business".
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Settings
X
Data:
Loading data...
Based on 2000-2020 data
Loading data...

Hide US histogram

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > U.S. Forums > California > San Diego